What's the best oil for my bicycle chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best oil for my bicycle chain? It's a 2008 Schwinn 15 speed. Mostly city driving with some occasional track. I'd prefer a synthetic. Also, would a little MMO mixed in be a good idea? How often should I change it?

I know that the online bicycle stores have some stuff that will not get on your clothes if they rub against the chain. I think you have to pull the chain and clean it with some kind of solvant before first use.

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
What's the best oil for my bicycle chain? It's a 2008 Schwinn 15 speed. Mostly city driving with some occasional track. I'd prefer a synthetic. Also, would a little MMO mixed in be a good idea? How often should I change it?

You are tracking your bike eh? 0W40 Redline should hold up to high temperature, high speed running, and still be thin enough for the cold start morning commute. No additives needed though, and I'd reapply the oil weekly and before and after a track day.

Amsoil ABC (Semi-Synthetic Bar & Chain Oil). Pull the chain with a rivet breaker (if you have the right type of chain) and clean it up in a bath of varsol, then a bath of dish soap and water. Reattach the chain and simply apply the lube to every other link.

Depending on use, simply wipe off the chain moistened with varsol and reapply the Amsoil Bar & chain oil. Through my use thus far on my Gitane Tour De France, there is NO dirt on my chain and I've put 75km on it in one week.

From my experience and others at my local bike club, the Bar & Chain repels dirt, mud and water and slings very very little. For $5 how can you go wrong with ONE QUART
wink.gif
. Cheaper and better than the LBSes sell.

Gunk makes a spray on chain lube. Tacky, so it will stay put. Works good on garage door openers and tracks as well.

growing up in the 50s, what ever Dad had in the garage, motoroil, then 30wt, i had a small oiler can and let it drip on the chain, worked for me, rode it for years and years, how about that, old fashion oil, how did I make it this far, lol.

Not sure why this is in the humor section.

Cleanliness is the best starting point. Remove chain. Clean well in solvent, then water based solutions of your choice, dry and rinse with clean solvent. Soak in a light oil. Personally I don't like motor oil for the soak. ATF works well. Drain and wipe the chain down until it's dry. Spray with one of the waxy when dry chain lubes. This seals in the lube, yet sand and trash won't stick to the chain.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Amsoil ABC (Semi-Synthetic Bar & Chain Oil). Pull the chain...

Schwinn requires an ABI SM certified oil for the warranty. Does the Amsoil ABC carry that certification? Or does it just claim to "meet or exceed" it? I'm very concerned about the whole power train warranty on this thing. Especially since the engine is already 47 years old.

You'll definitely want a 0W-X oil so the oil will pump up the chain faster on cold mornings - afterall, 90% of the wear takes place with the first pump of the old legs.
grin2.gif

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
afterall, 90% of the wear takes place with the first pump of the old legs.

Yeah, but is that well established or just anecdotal? I've not seen... Oh [censored]! I just experienced a nasty pop getting up out of my chair!

Never mind... ;-)

Why has this post been moved to the bicycle forum? It was intended as a humor thread. I don't even own a bicycle. I gave the one I had to charity. (And the nice lady pretended not to notice that bit of poop upon the seat.)

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
I don't even own a bicycle. I gave the one I had to charity. (And the nice lady pretended not to notice that bit of poop upon the seat.)

If all you're going to do is poop on the seat, it's probably better you don't own a bicycle!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
If all you're going to do is poop on the seat, it's probably better you don't own a bicycle!
grin2.gif

It wasn't intentional. I mean... how *do* you know when your laxative is going to kick in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back