3.5L 07 Pontiac G6 V6 - Low coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I set it for Friday because its pay day(normal paycheck again, long story). So I could pay for it if its not covered(but so far the G6 forum and here says it should be). I swear car only has 31k on it and its 3 years old.

I don't really drive it much just 3 miles to and from work so I think it will hold out for another week. Oil is still relatively new, about 1k-1100 on it. From reading it can be one of 3 things.

The Cross Over pipe/gasket.
Waterpump
Headgasket/Manifold Gasket.

Oh and a forth one, the cap on the overflow tank.

It can't be the intake gaskets - the new 3.5L and 3.9L motors have an external water crossover and no antifreeze going through the intake manifolds.

Well head gaskets then as thats another one that has been coming up from some reading. I'm going to fill it again after work and watch it for leaks. If none, i'll start it and watch it again, check the pump etc. I'd be interested to know where its coming from so I could rest a bit easy or find it to be a simple fix(loose hose etc).

How hard are the spark plugs to remove? Even if it doesnt smoke the spark plugs will tell you if you are burning coolant or not.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Cheese and rice - can GM make a frikkin car that doesn't leak through ANY gaskets!

Given your lengthy and positive membership here (longer than mine by a good while...), AND the creativity of your defeat of the censor, I will neither act, nor recommend action, concerning the "Cheese and rice" thing. Took me a moment to figure it out. Has to be the best evasive maneuver I've seen yet. At least you capitalized "Cheese". . .
wink.gif
In the future, please be good.
cheers3.gif

WOOT, found the leak!!! I got out of work, opened the hood and inspected the hoses right under the coolant reservoir. Covered in slightly dry Dex-Cool. Turned the car on and noticed some drip-page. Turned the car off, depressurized the reservoir and blam got some mega drip-page going on below the res. It seems to be either the plug on the base of it or the one hose directly connected to it. First image there is some near the bolt and its surroundings(sorry phone pic), the other image you can see(i hope) some of it is pooling on the black metal bracket. I hope the reservoir is covered under 5/100 and the hosing is too otherwise I'm gonna flip out. 31k on her and this is what happens.

0520101710.jpg

0520101710a.jpg

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
How hard are the spark plugs to remove? Even if it doesnt smoke the spark plugs will tell you if you are burning coolant or not.

I don't know, I heard its a marathon event to get em out though. Finding it leaking from the res gives me some hope that its not entering the engine.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Cheese and rice - can GM make a frikkin car that doesn't leak through ANY gaskets!

Given your lengthy and positive membership here (longer than mine by a good while...), AND the creativity of your defeat of the censor, I will neither act, nor recommend action, concerning the "Cheese and rice" thing. Took me a moment to figure it out. Has to be the best evasive maneuver I've seen yet. At least you capitalized "Cheese". . .
wink.gif
In the future, please be good.
cheers3.gif

I heard it more then the real way of saying it while growing up. I am my father's son. What can I say! Darn Catholics...

Yeah I can't understand why they don't truly put in quality parts. I'm going to call today and ask them if its covered, if not I'm going to tackle this SOB over the weekend and put an end to it.

Bummer, called the dealer and I asked them if the tank itself is covered and they said unfortunately its not. Now I have a choice, I can either try to tackle this during the week(order the tank and whatever else in that vicinity and fix it) or have them diagnose and fix the issue and pay several hundred bucks(because we know dealers charge an arm and a leg). The tank online and at GMPD is roughly 50-70 dollars. Labor is probably $90, and other items may be covered under warranty.

What do you all think?

Yeah I said the same thing about it being critical to engine function but nope. 210 quote on the repair. I'm trying to find the warranty book as I read the snipped on GM page and it doesn't mention the cooling system.

This is all I can find on it:
Quote:

In addition to the Vehicle Coverage described above, General Motors will warrant each 2010 through 2005 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine
Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case
Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems
Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this Powertrain coverage.

Roadside Assistance Program
General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever comes first (based on original in-service date).

Refer to your Owners Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer.

For 2010 through 2005 model year passenger car, light duty truck and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer/retailer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details.

Last edited:
Contact GM Corporate and spoke to a guy named Glen. Took my info and though the vehicle is out of the bumper to bumper(which the tank would be covered under) he would contact the Dealership and speak to them regarding the diagnostic and see if its a manufacturing fault and then decide if its covered as a defect.

I'm still thinking I should do it myself because if they don't cover it and I don't want them to do work im out $100 bucks. If I have them do the work its $210 bucks. If I do it myself its about 40 bucks or so depending on anything else. It looks simple enough to replace and I am confidant I can do it and maybe improve on it(use better hose clamps etc).

Well over the weekend I ordered a new tank cap and reservoir tank total was $38 from Amazon. I just wish it would get here because I'm sick of hearing money getting flushed down the toilet. Heard the coolant leaking out when I started this morning(had it sit all weekend), then heard it sloshing around the heater core etc. Before I leave work I'll be topping it up again only to lose it once more. All to ensure that I keep the system intact as best as possible.

Received the new coolant tank reservoir and cap yesterday. Took about an hour for the tank and cap swap. Filled up with Dex-cool and ran the car for 10 minutes to air out the system. Drove the car around to bring it up to temp, came back to the garage and the coolant level is fine.

Let the car sit for 2-3 hours and go to pull out and I hear the water sloshing sound through the dash/firewall again. I pop the hood and notice the coolant is a little low, but figure its probably due to the system still airing out and sipping coolant in. So I park the car and call it a night.

I wake up this morning, pop the hood and coolant is very low. I refill back to the cold line and am going to see what happens. The car is no longer leaking from the tank/hose on the bottom as I made sure it was nice and tight. No more wet spots in the engine.

If it gets low again I will have to look at the cross-over pipe but there is no mention of a part number for that.

Problem seems to be resolved. I guess when it got low was the system letting air out and topping it up kept it fine for the past day or so. Woot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back