O'Reilly Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some O'Reilly Synthetic on sale today, it was $17.99 for 5 quarts of it and an M1 filter. Pretty good deal for a Group III synthetic and a nice filter. Anyone have any idea who makes it? Same folks as Supertech?

Maybe maybe not. Look on the back label for "SOPUS" or "Ashland" or on the bottom for WPP or something. Also post pic of the bottle, maybe able to tell by that.

With a virgin FP of only 350 degrees I passed of their "syn".

Picked up 4 cases of Chevron 5w-20 / 5w-30 for $1.99 quart.

Bill

distributed by OAD, it says. There's some kind of machine code stamped on it, really tiny but looks like OSPD01100802

The deal allows you to spend up to $12.99 on a M1 filter, so if the oil is decent, it's potentially a $ a quart.

So look forward to the VOA. Thanks for doing it!

I just started working for the Shamrock gang and we had to do training to try to sell this stuff. Didn't say who made it unlike a lot of our other lines.

Doesnt seem to be selling all too well from the two weeks I have been there.

I think they need to make some big bold claims on the bottle. Ideally something like cleans as well as the leading synthetic or cleans x% better than any conventional oil.

Or they need to make available some info so the enthusiasts want it. Eg that it's really PP with one or two changes.

Right now the proposition is get an unknown synthetic oil and filter for the same cost as a brand name oil and a filter.

Originally Posted By: rjacket

Right now the proposition is get an unknown synthetic oil and filter for the same cost as a brand name oil and a filter.

No, you get an M1 filter with it, which is normally priced at $12.99! Considering most conventional oils are in the $2-$2.50ish range these days, even though this O'Reilly syn is an unknown quantity, it's still a good deal I think. I went to a different location today and bought more! I got some 5w30 to go with my 5w20. I'll use the 30wt for this summer.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

No, you get an M1 filter with it, which is normally priced at $12.99! Considering most conventional oils are in the $2-$2.50ish range these days, even though this O'Reilly syn is an unknown quantity, it's still a good deal I think. I went to a different location today and bought more! I got some 5w30 to go with my 5w20. I'll use the 30wt for this summer.

I agree if the synthetic is decent, then fine. But O'Reilly is doing a Castrol GTX with WIX filter for $15.99 with an $2 upgrade to GTX blend available. I'm not sure the M1 is really that much better than the WIX and we know nothing yet about the O'Reilly synthetic.

This oil is a quite light amber colored. More of a pilsner than an IPA, I would say. Off to Holt Cat SOS it goes! Does anyone know how to make them do TBN as well? I wrote it on the label that I wanted TBN.

IMG_1898.jpg

Last edited:
I know you're sending in for a VOA but the link to the spec sheet is confusing. Did you call their tech line for clarification?

See, the pour point is listed as a value of -29c / 20f, whereas other stats are in quite wide ranges or as a minimum.

So why is pour point a value rather than a range? Is it because the others could actually be anywhere within the range they show? And that is because their syn is bottled by different suppliers?

Bill was concerned with the numbers, and the pour point is not great for a full synthetic. MC syn blend has a pp of -45c.

So again, the VOA will be interesting because the deal runs until the end of June now!

I agree if the synthetic is decent, then fine. But O'Reilly is doing a Castrol GTX with WIX filter for $15.99 with an $2 upgrade to GTX blend available. I'm not sure the M1 is really that much better than the WIX and we know nothing yet about the O'Reilly synthetic.

I tried a Wix once in my car and it seemed to have more start up noise. I have not tried a Champ Labs filter before, which the M1 is so I guess we'll see. I also have 5 OEM (Kia) filters, I'll probably run the O'Reilly oil with an OEM filter as to not change too many variables at once.

As for being an unknown quantity, well, I should have some data on the O'Reilly 5w20 and 5w30 Full Synthetic back in a week or so from my samples. They're all packed up and ready to go. I hope to get TBN but I'm not holding my breath. I actually asked them at the local Holt office how to pay for TBN and they didn't know what I was speaking of. Surely the lab must do them though.

Last edited:
I know you're sending in for a VOA but the link to the spec sheet is confusing. Did you call their tech line for clarification?

See, the pour point is listed as a value of -29c / 20f, whereas other stats are in quite wide ranges or as a minimum.

So why is pour point a value rather than a range? Is it because the others could actually be anywhere within the range they show? And that is because their syn is bottled by different suppliers?

Bill was concerned with the numbers, and the pour point is not great for a full synthetic. MC syn blend has a pp of -45c.

So again, the VOA will be interesting because the deal runs until the end of June now!

Yea, I don't think those things in the tech info are actual specs on the oil, they just put the API characteristics on them. For example the viscosity range for the 5w30 is listed as 9.3-12.49. Well duh no kidding! I would hope it was in the 30 range.

VOA will be interesting!

I picked up some of their High mileage oil on tha recent sale for my '88 Olds Cutlass V6. Tried the 10w40 flavor. The engine runs smoothly and quietly with it, and it has slowed down some minor leaks considerably. So far, I would give it a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back