505.01 -so just what is the magic ingredient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a4tdi,

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate also the contributions of everyone on this topic. My dealership has not been very helpful on the subject through their ignorance. Here's the info I received from
--the salesman: "Use a synthetic."
--a mechanic: "Use Castrol GTX 5W-30."
--the service manager: "Use Castrol 0W-50. We're the only ones on island (Hawaii) who carry it, at $7.50 per quart."
I think the service manager is correct about everything but the weight. In any case, I'll check out the price of bringing in Motul against the cost of the dealer's Castrol and go from there.

Cheers, Mark

quote:

Originally posted by marco246:
My dealership has not been very helpful on the subject through their ignorance. Here's the info I received from
--the salesman: "Use a synthetic."
--a mechanic: "Use Castrol GTX 5W-30."
--the service manager: "Use Castrol 0W-50. We're the only ones on island (Hawaii) who carry it, at $7.50 per quart."

If those words are coming directly from your local VW dealership's employees, "ignorance" is an understatement.

Mark,
0W-50 weight is not an approved oil for your engine. The responses you received from the dealership prove the point that Brikhead was making. They simply don't know what they are talking about. My owner's manual has the skull-and-crossbones warning against using anything but 505.01 oil in 5W-40 weight. Until all of this nonsense is straightened out, I'd advise using the recommended oil in order to preclude warranty issues with VWoA. Feel free to PM me if you need more information. Happy to help.
Regards
a4tdi

Well i was using the Elf DID 5W40 for 180 000Km and switch to Rotella T 5W40 and I got pretty good result compared to other BEW UOA.

scan00011.jpg

OMG find u some 504/507 the PD engines are so bad for ripping the lobes off the cam... the 505.01 spec is obsolete replaced by 504 diesel and 507 for gas engines.. these specs are superior to about anything out there from lubrizol's spec comparing tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back