Oil recommendation for 99'4runner w/ 164k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1999' 4runner SR5 V6 a few months ago and its coming up on an oil change. Its got 164k on it and it was acquired from a dealer so no maint history. It seems to run well but no idea what the internals look like.

Anyway, I will continue to run 5w30 and will be using dino oil.

I am looking at either Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, or Mobil Clean 5000. I have a Wally-World close by so price is pretty consisnant and I will be running either a Wix or OEM filter.

Not sure if these older 3.4 with high miles are picky on oil type? If there are any other dino brands recommended please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
I hear these engines will basically go on forever. My dino of choice is always Valvoline or Pennzoil.

I have one...about the same mileage. I've always run Mobil1 extended performance 5w/30 but, this time, I went with Rotella T6 5w/40. The motor's never used oil and it really doesn't even get dirty for 7k+ miles with the M1 EP. The RT6 seems to work really well and I plan on running it out 10K miles. I also switched the wife's 4runner to T6 about 3k ago....it loves it so far....also a 3.4 v6.

The T6 is a darn good product....you should consider it at least for its' cleaning abilities for one oci anyway.

Originally Posted By: 2muchtime
I recently purchased a 1999' 4runner SR5 V6 a few months ago and its coming up on an oil change. Its got 164k on it and it was acquired from a dealer so no maint history. It seems to run well but no idea what the internals look like.

Anyway, I will continue to run 5w30 and will be using dino oil.

I am looking at either Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, or Mobil Clean 5000. I have a Wally-World close by so price is pretty consisnant and I will be running either a Wix or OEM filter.

Not sure if these older 3.4 with high miles are picky on oil type? If there are any other dino brands recommended please let me know. Thanks.

The 3.4 will last forever on any 5W30 you put in it.

I am rethinking my plans. May go with something high mileage since it has... high miles.

Valvoline Maxlife comes to mind.

close your eyes and pick an oil...the 3.4, 4.0 or even 4.7 are all great on oil and it really only matters on what your willing to spend or if you have a personal preference. The engine will not notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back