Lack of lube in Silverado fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ZJ Grand Cherokee has everything with lube points. Most of mine are blown I think. The upper ball joints were dry. As soon as I put grease, they blew. It was so dry.

The WJ Grand Cherokee, in addition to having thicker, stronger suspension parts, has sealed EVERYTHING! Well, the upper ball joints but most mechanics over look that. I filled my fathers... both empty. One blew because it was so dry.

Rather than create a new thread, I'll resurrect this one.

I have a zerk fitting on the driveshaft, probably because I have a 2 piece due to it being an extended cab. I have no idea how much grease to put into this thing.

I got under it last weekend and pumped what seemed like alot, but there was no way to find out. With ball joints and the like, you can visually and physically inspect them, but with this it is all metal.

How much grease is enough?

Is there some way to inspect?

Can you overfill?

Well, apparently after doing some more research...

Not too many Silverados out there have a 2 piece driveshaft. Mine does, probably because it is an extended cab 2WD. A few people talk about greasing the zerk fitting, but nobody mentions anything about how much, how often, or any additional information.

I guess I'm lucky to even have a zerk fitting. Looks to me like alot of people are going through alot of trouble due to not having them.

If anyone else knows anything about greasing 2-piece driveshaft assembly, let me know.

Thanks!

Is this zerk on a U-joint or is it on a splined slip-joint(the one that accomodates changes to shaftt length)?

If U-joint, keep pumping till grease escapes from the four grease seals for the four needle bearings.

If slip-joint, keep pumping till grease escapes from the relief hole which will be in the exact centre of the shaft.

U-joints take about four to five shots of grease. Slip-joints can take up to thirty shots or more, a surprisingly large amount.

I lubricate at every oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back