Good Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys recommend on a oil filter for my Honda 750 Shadow ACE 2003 Model? I use Honda OEM now but would like to use a good filter I could get at the local parts store or Walmart. The nearest Honda shop is like 50+ miles away. Give brand and part # if you know it. I stay away from FRAM. Thanks!

Last edited:
Found this...trust but verify! I'd go with the pure1. (link at bottom of list)

NAPA gold which is Wix = http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=FIL1365_0217767839

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Last edited:
If you can fit it (it is slightly wider in diameter, but with the same gasket dimensions) the PL14459 has a better efficiency rating than the PL14610, though I don't think it will really make much real-world difference. The WalMart SuperTech ST7317 is not the Ecore design, and is therefore probably a pretty good filter with decent construction. Lots of motorcycle folks use them.

Any filter that fits a Honda Accord/Civic will fit.

Fram numbers; cross to your favorite brand of filter:
PH 6607
PH 7317

Even Wal-mart filters are decent, many a Gold Wing has one one.

Thanks for all the input.

The Purolator Pure One PL14610 cross references with the Wix 51356 and the PL14612 cross references with the Wix 51365. Does anyone else use this on there bike or recommend it? Its the same filter I use on my wifes 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L Thanks!

Last edited:
I crossed the Honda OEM 15410MFJD01 with WIX and it gave me 51358.
The Link that suspiciousmind gave me shows all these filters and the recommended ones but it dont recommend even the Honda OEM I been using or the wix 51358. Thats crazy why not the Honda OEM?

Last edited:
The PureOnes have about the highest advertised efficiency rating, a nice silicone ADBV, decent construction, and are reasonably priced compared to motorcycle-specific filters. Despite the fact that Purolator says not to, many of us are using them on our motorcycles. Apparently, Purolator wants us to buy their motorcycle filters, which are made in China, cost more, and are lower quality. You can get Pure Ones on amazon.com at a decent price, Pep Boys and Advance Auto and probably others stock them. The best filter that is available at WalMart is the Fram Extended Guard, which is not to be confused with their lesser offerings. The Wix or NAPA Golds would be good ones too. Most motorcycle filters that I have seen tend to be nothing special, except for the high price.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Anyone know the Wix part # for this bike? I will go with that if there is one available.

I use a Wix on my Silverwing 600. Both our bikes call for a Wix 51358. I use a Wix 51356. It is slightly longer, has more capacity, a higher max flow rate. Otherwise they are identical. Here's some specs for both:

51356 51358

Height 3.402" 2.782"
Outer diam 2.685" 2.685"
Thread 20 X 1.5mm 20 X 1.5mm
Bypass pressure 8-11 psi 8 psi
Antidrainback valve yes yes
Max flow 9-11 gpm 8-10 gpm
Microns 21 21

If you have the space for the longer filter, I'd go with the 51356

Well I got my SuperTech ST7317 today and 3qts of Rotella T 15w-40. Going to get it changed Saturday hopefully. Thanks everyone for your input.

Well it was $2.99 a quart or $11.50 for a gallon jug. The gallon would have been a few cents cheaper I guess.

Well I got it done it all went well. I will probably get the Purolator Pure One next time instead of the Supertech. The SuperTech may be a good filter I sure hope so anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Well I got it done it all went well. I will probably get the Purolator Pure One next time instead of the Supertech. The SuperTech may be a good filter I sure hope so anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

You know what? Whether you use Supertech or Purolator Pure One will make NO difference to the longevity of your engine. As long as you keep your OCI's and filter changes to regular common sense intervals your engine will be happy. Remember many engines have no oil filter whatsoever. Clean oil means a clean engine with minimal wear from abrasives, acids, etc.

Quote:
You know what? Whether you use Supertech or Purolator Pure One will make NO difference to the longevity of your engine

Fresh oil is more important than the brand of your oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back