49 cc scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know much about or have any experience with the 49 cc scooters? My wife has a very short commute and talked about buying a scooter for the 2 mile trip. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of her driving an underpowered motorcycle but am at least considering the notion.

How safe would a Honda or Yamaha (or any non-Chinese junk brand) be compared to just riding a bicycle? Could they take a 150 lbs woman up hill at any kind of a reasonable speed?

I think 49cc scooters max out at about 35 mph. A 90 cc Piaggio would probably be a better choice if you have hills during the commute.

I recently drove an '07 Roketa 49cc scooter... it was painfully slow. I'm not sure, maybe there was something wrong with it, but it seems like it couldn't even hit 30 mph. The speedo was broken, so I couldn't really tell.

After that, I decided not to go for one of these.

As far as nice scooters go, check out a used Honda Reflex (250cc), but I'm not sure what your budget is... In any case, I wouldn't get anything less than 150cc. This of course might require you to get a motorcycle license (depending on state).

There's one hill, which I think might cause problems. I haven't ridden one of these in over 20 years, so I have absolutely no idea what is reasonable for them.

I'm not wild about the idea of commuting in something other than a car, so I'd probably make her take classes regardless of the displacement of the bike.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I think 49cc scooters max out at about 35 mph. A 90 cc Piaggio would probably be a better choice if you have hills during the commute.

Depending on jurisdiction, the jump from a 49cc to a 90cc could mean the difference between needing only an operators license to needing a motorcycle endorsement. The question is, where does the OP live?

Riding a bike/scooter is definitely not as safe as a car - there are no crumple zones, no airbags, nothing. Would she at least wear a full face helmet? What about proper clothing (leather?).

And if it rains, it becomes even more dangerous.

How busy is the road? Average speed of traffic? Any alternate routes available using a bike?
I only ride a bike on the road but with some education and common sense they are pretty safe(pick your route, take the lane if necessary, don't weave out around parked cars, etc). Scooters are limited to roads so the safer bike trails or even sidewalks in some cases aren't available. IMO a road that I don't want to bike on isn't really one I'd take a slow scooter on either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Riding a bike/scooter is definitely not as safe as a car - there are no crumple zones, no airbags, nothing. Would she at least wear a full face helmet? What about proper clothing (leather?).

And if it rains, it becomes even more dangerous.

While the stats are decidedly skewed against motorcycles, it is necessary to consider the facts behind them. The reality is that the overwhelming contributing factor in the crash statistics is alcohol. I doubt the OP's wife is going to be doing much drinking and riding...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
While the stats are decidedly skewed against motorcycles, it is necessary to consider the facts behind them. The reality is that the overwhelming contributing factor in the crash statistics is alcohol. I doubt the OP's wife is going to be doing much drinking and riding...

If I remember correctly what was written in the motorcycle handbook (which I just read a week ago), about 50% of all motorcycle accidents are alcohol-related. That still leaves the other 50% which aren't. And the chances of incurring serious injuries in these motorcycle accidents are naturally much higher than in a car.

To the OP:

Definitely get her some training classes to at least help minimize the risks that are in her control.

Honestly, why are you even considering it? Why not let her drive a car to work? Since the distances are so short, it's not like you're going to be saving a ton of money on gas by riding a scooter.

Last edited:
Would she at least wear a full face helmet? What about proper clothing (leather?).

full face helmet and leathers on a scooter for 2 miles.

that's classic.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Would she at least wear a full face helmet? What about proper clothing (leather?).

that's classic.

Well, it would sure make just walking there more appealing!
Most of my friends who live that close to work just have one car, even though they could afford two, its just a waste of money 98% of the time.

that's classic.

What does distance have to do with it? It takes much less than 2 miles to get into a crash.

And as for it being on a scooter, statistics show that most riders are riding slower than 30 mph when a crash occurs - a speed easily attainable by a scooter, even a 49cc one.

Also, some states mandate helmet use on motorcycles and scooters.

that's classic.

What does distance have to do with it? It takes much less than 2 miles to get into a crash.

And as for it being on a scooter, statistics show that most riders are riding slower than 30 mph when a crash occurs - a speed easily attainable by a scooter, even a 49cc one.

Also, some states mandate helmet use on motorcycles and scooters.

I'll remember that when I'm out riding my bicycle this summer; forget the lycra shorts and lightweight helmet, I'm going to the harley shop and get suited up!

Well, I'm not forcing anyone to do it. I was just trying to list ways to reduce the risks of riding a motorbike/scooter which are much higher than risks of driving a car to begin with. She could be riding naked for all I care...

Motorcycle riders (not scooter) are statistically bigger risk takers, so they do get a lot more crash. One of my friend who works in the hospital helping surgeons harvesting organ donors told me they called Ducati the Iron Horse Donor.

Now for scooter, I think the riders are in a completely different risk profile, but since the problem is mostly about the other driver in a car or SUV, the risk that they cannot see the scooter rider would still be there. If this is your concern, I'd say no to it.

If she is still going for a scooter, I'd still tell her to get motorcycle license just to make sure she has more training and feel more confident.

Originally Posted By: kb01
Does anyone know much about or have any experience with the 49 cc scooters? My wife has a very short commute and talked about buying a scooter for the 2 mile trip. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of her driving an underpowered motorcycle but am at least considering the notion.

How safe would a Honda or Yamaha (or any non-Chinese junk brand) be compared to just riding a bicycle? Could they take a 150 lbs woman up hill at any kind of a reasonable speed?

I don't know where you live but I had just read an article about an electric scooter.

What was interesting about it is that is not considered as a motocycle but as a bike (at least in Canada, and good luck explaining the difference to the police as it was written in the arcticle). Therefore, you are allowed in bicycle trails with it as you are part of the family (In Montreal, we have more and more specific bicycle trails in town, separated from the cars).

Depending on your location, it could be interesting as your wife will be separated from the cars but still able to ride to work without effort.

The bike in question was the GIO 500W E-Scooter, a chinese brand (sorry), but the price is only $600CAD (+ shipping). Speed limited to 32KPH due to be in the bicycle category and range of 60kms fully charged.

They are probably better offers if you look on the web.

I have 2 motorcycles. I have a 100cc Honda and a 250cc Kawasaki.

The 100cc Honda is a death trap on our 50mph roads where cars are traveling 70mph. It has trouble holding 40 mph with any wind or hill. I'd imagine a 49Cc scooter would be even worse.

The 250cc Kawasaki will keep up with traffic.

I had an Aprilia RS50. Great scooter/race bike. I am 6-3. The phrase "monkey fornicating a football" should put the correct image in your mind.

2004%5C03%5C21%5Cbikepics-123859-320.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I should probably add...

Since business is slow (and my company revised its corporate car policies), we're now a one car family and are hesitant to buy another until the economy improves. She works part time and I work 10 hour days and right now, she either rides her bike or grabs an occasional ride with friends to work.

About a 1/2 mile of the trip is on a fairly busy city street and one of the advantages of a bike is the ability to ride along the shoulder. My biggest concern with a scooter is having to (?) ride in the traffic lane and a concern that the tiny wheels might not be the steadiest platform in the event of hitting a stray piece of road gravel.

In all likelihood, it will probably be a decision between a scooter and buying a much better bicycle than what she has now.

Scooters are great - I love them, but not so much in the USA.
[Because of road conditions and other cars with lobotomized drivers. ]

Any small motorcycle is better, and cheaper. Consider this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back