Motor Oil for an Older Rolls-Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking a 1985 Silver Seraph, or Silver Seraph II? They have the Big, Monster 6.75L V-8 and im wondering what kind of Motor Oil would be good for a car like that!

The 70s and 80s Cars of that Era gone by. im -really- getting into. I thought id let this Thread take its course, about what kind of Oil would go in the Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, perhaps older Bentleys (Brooklands from the 80s, etc) and other makes from that region of the world... As -some- of them can be had rather Cheaply!

Or, the 1982 Ferrari 400i. That car -Really- tickles my fancy!
grin2.gif

Just a thought.. And this seems like the Place!

I'd imagine that a 5W-40 HDEO would cover all the vehicles you mentioned as a 'one-size-fits-all' solution.

What does the manual say? The low revers can likely do w/ 10w-30 and the performance cars, I'd try the 15w-40 or 10w-30 Rotella diesel oil.

MaxLife is a decent choice. The Mobil 1 Hi-Miles line is worth looking into.

I would assume one could use similar oils as you might use in a Leyland-era Jag. I've heard they have large sumps as well.
wink.gif

Rolls Royces are spec'd only for whale oil, the air filter should consist of bald eagle feathers and velvet and use only all ivory gas caps. That is according to my 1908 manual.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd imagine that a 5W-40 HDEO would cover all the vehicles you mentioned as a 'one-size-fits-all' solution.

Hmmm.. Excellent! I know next-to-nothing about RR, except that BMW bought the -Airplane- Rolls-Royce in around 2001/2002/2003, then got the CAR Rolls-Royce.

And to "All Posters" .. One car at a time. BITOG is A-O-K!

I can imagine one of the older Bentleys. As they say:

"Bentleys are for Driving, and Rolls-Royces are for being Driven in."

Gotta go for now.. Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: Moose016
Rolls Royces are spec'd only for whale oil, the air filter should consist of bald eagle feathers and velvet and use only all ivory gas caps. That is according to my 1908 manual.

LOL!!! Awesome!!

Every Rolls and Bentley I've been in, leaked oil (someone I know had several RR and B). Owner considered it normal.
I'd go with Max Life or another high-mileage oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back