Best Additive to reduce oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 GMC extended cab Z71 with the 5.3 Vortec. I bought it new and have ran Valvoline 10w-30 till 75,000 miles then switched to Valvoline Max Life 10w-30. It holds 6qts and I replace 1qt with Lucas Oil Stabilizer every oil change. I got 175,000 mile on it now and its using a little oil now around 1 or more quart's between oil changes. I run it with and without the stabilizer and no difference in the oil consumption. Is there a better additive to help that I should try? Should I change oil brand? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I for one would'nt ruin a good oil with Lucas unless its noisy and you want to sell it fast. Especially since the extra thickness obviously isnt helping consumption.

First, check your PCV system. Replace anything that looks at you funny.

Then, run the MaxLife straight with no additive for at least 2-3 oil changes and see if the consumption settles out.

As far as I can tell, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is pretty much bunk; the only thing it's good for is making a busted engine appear trouble-free just long enough for you to sell it. If it makes no difference to you, that's all the more reason to stop using it whatever happens.

It wont hurt my feelings any to ditch the Stabilizer it will cut over $10 off my oil changes. I initially started running the Lucas because when my truck hit 20,000 miles it has this horrible knock on start up worse when cold. I been told this is normal with this truck but drives me crazy. The Lucas seem to help some but not much. Thanks

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
First, check your PCV system. Replace anything that looks at you funny.

Then, run the MaxLife straight with no additive for at least 2-3 oil changes and see if the consumption settles out.

As far as I can tell, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is pretty much bunk; the only thing it's good for is making a busted engine appear trouble-free just long enough for you to sell it. If it makes no difference to you, that's all the more reason to stop using it whatever happens.

I've cleaned the PCV Valve its the one without the shaker its just straight through. Its been all nasty before but its all good now and has been for a while.

If you have been using the Lucas Stabilizer since 20,000 miles you probably have some stuck piston rings causing the oil consumption. You might need to do some gentle cleaning to help free up the rings.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you have been using the Lucas Stabilizer since 20,000 miles you probably have some stuck piston rings causing the oil consumption. You might need to do some gentle cleaning to help free up the rings.

Good point. Time for some AutoRX maybe?
55.gif

I first started using the Valvoline oil additive in the little red bottle then switched to the Lucas because they discontinued the Valvoline. How do I need to clean? I just changed my oil yesterday. Thanks for the info.

use an HDEO 5w40 t6 rotella or 15w40rotella triple protection and see if u oil usuage stops, it did for me, and go 8000 miles now on T6 synthetic shell rotella, before adding oil.

Best 'additive' for an oil-burning engine would be whatever 15w40 HDEO is on sale. You can try ARX or MMO or [censored] or BBQ to free stuck rings, but 1 quart/OCI isn't terrible. The high detergent HDEO may help free rings as well. Shouldn't have any issues in the summer with it, especially in hot & humid Arkansas.

My Golf & NB typically use 0.75 - 1 liter per OCI... but they often go 20k km [12k miles] or more between oil changes.

Why don't you try a dino 10w-30 along with a qt of MMO for 1 OCI to get those rings unstuck.If things get better then go to PZ Ultra 5-w30 to keep it that way.75K isn't high mileage,you probably stuck the rings up with that stuff.

x2.

Trav, he has 175,000 on the truck now.

Oh boy getting old is bad for the eyes,thanks for pointing that out Johnny.
Still i think MMO my be of some benefit in a HMO for getting some junk out of the rings.

Is there something I can add now for cleaning? I just changed my oil yesterday and it has a quart of Lucas in with it.

When the oil is down 1/2 to 3/4's of a quart, add a quart of MMO.

It will overfill it a bit, but it will start cleaning uop the engine slowly.

I must be way off course here.. but losing 1 qt of oil between oil changes (avg 5000 miles), to me is nothing. It's actually very good for a motor with 175k on it.
I wouldn't worry about it at all, and just add a quart in between and call it all good.

As for the Lucas.. the Maxlife will do a lot more than the oil stabilizer ever would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back