Castrol Edge 5w30 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
scan0001fu.jpg

2006 Scion TC
Castrol Edge 5w30 changed at 5000 miles.
I drove 60+ miles everyday for work and two spirited driving runs through some canyon roads on this oil.

This is the fifth oil change I've used Castrol Edge and I really like the way my car feels so I decided to send the Castrol Edge in for a UOA. I've read on here that Edge 5w30 is very thin which this report seems to comfirm.

Although the results were good, it does kind of bother me that the viscosity is low.

Any suggestions or comments?
Should I stay with this oil?

Wow, very very nice. I'm even more excited to put edge in my cav now. This 5W-30 sheared a bit, solidly into the 5W-20 range now, but no worries on that.

By the way....
welcome2.gif
banana2.gif
grin2.gif
11.gif
to bitog!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stick with it. The vicosity ended up about a 20 weight, which is what a lot of new cars...maybe the newest Scions, too...run anyway.

Great results! One suggestion though: if it's going to thin out to a 5w20 anyhow and still show low wear like this, then you might as well start out by running 5w20 (or even better, 0w20 Edge when it arrives) and take advantage of the lower startup viscosity. You'd probably see a tiny bit better MPG as well.

Don't let the viscosity bother you. My Edge 5W-30 UOA sheared too, but wear still came back below average. I'd use it again in a heartbeat and probably will again once I use up my current supply of Ultra, Mobil 1, Synpower and Pennzoil Platinum. I still have 2 quarts of it lying around, can't let those go to waste... better buy 2 more.
grin2.gif

Well the edge is on the low side of visc anyhow what would be interesting to see is shear stability ie brands like ultra pp and others how much they shear. My g is hard on oil too and i've used edge holds up decent and 5K miles isnt really pushing it i'd not try 15K tho might end up with 10w

Wow, thanks for all the great input and comments.
The temps here in California were pretty cool, I would say average temps were 80F when I used this oil. With the summer heat coming very soon, I still shouldn't worry about using this oil?

Originally Posted By: mrKiKaZ
Wow, thanks for all the great input and comments.
The temps here in California were pretty cool, I would say average temps were 80F when I used this oil. With the summer heat coming very soon, I still shouldn't worry about using this oil?

Nope, keep doing what your doing. :)

For a 15K oil, would it continue to shear down if you ran it for it's designed use?

Last edited:
Oh wow I read 2AZ-FE and assumed Camry...

Try SSO, I've been using it in my 2AZ-FE Camry with good results. Mine only sheared down to 9.7 Cst at 100C after 9.3k OCI. That's with 2.2% Fuel Dilution. Pretty impressive, I think.

Obviously, with a supercharger, it might shear a bit more, but probably not to 8.23 after 5k.

I would say try SSO and run it to at least 8-10k before you take a sample. Next UOA will be at 15k for me. I used an EaO10 filter as well, which they don't sell anymore (for now...).

I'll post up my UOAs pretty soon so you can have a look.

BTW, I hail from Rialto... Hello neighbor haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
For a 15K oil, would it continue to shear down if you ran it for it's designed use?

With this last oil change, I noticed the 5qt of Castrol Edge U.S. no longer claims 15k oil change invervals. What is Castrol doing?

Originally Posted By: Basil
Oh wow I read 2AZ-FE and assumed Camry...

Try SSO, I've been using it in my 2AZ-FE Camry with good results. Mine only sheared down to 9.7 Cst at 100C after 9.3k OCI. That's with 2.2% Fuel Dilution. Pretty impressive, I think.

Obviously, with a supercharger, it might shear a bit more, but probably not to 8.23 after 5k.

I would say try SSO and run it to at least 8-10k before you take a sample. Next UOA will be at 15k for me. I used an EaO10 filter as well, which they don't sell anymore (for now...).

I'll post up my UOAs pretty soon so you can have a look.

BTW, I hail from Rialto... Hello neighbor haha

Awesome! This is my first UOA, I would love to see some other UOAs from 2az.

I'll be looking for that UOA. Sorry, but what does SSO stand for?
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back