Help with oil recommendation for 66 Corvair

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a 1966, Chevrolet, Corvair, Monsa Convertible with a 110 horse power, air cooled, 6 cylinder motor. This has just now had a rebuild done to it. Not sure how much he did with it but I know he had the engine out and did a lot of stuff to it when he tore it down.

This will not be a daily driver but, as he said, he built it to drive not just to show. This is in Oklahoma weather. It's in the mid 80's now and summer coming on.

What do you guys recommended for oil and oil change interval for this car? Also, the car will be driven normally (not hard, but not putt-putt around).

I would use either a good HDEO like Rotella T 30wt or one of the 15W-40. I would not push it past 4,000 miles.

If it's available, how about a picture of this old beauty.

They were certainly fun cars back in the day. Darn that Ralph.

Try sending a PM to Wideman. He just restored on of these. There is also a member in Indianapolis that has a beautiful one of these and I think he is using 20W-50 Amsoil in his. Not sure though.

I found it, his name is Pat In Speedway. Here is his profile and contact info. He has one of the nicest Corvairs I've seen in a long time.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=4429

I think we need a "what oil for my older car" sticky thread

Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Valvoline VR1 would all be good choices.

Any good HDEO would do well. If you are looking for the best buy I would say Motorcraft seems to be the best value since you can get 5 qt jugs of it in 15w40 at Wal Mart. It is not quite as robust as the ones earlier mentioned, but it worked well in my old 440 mopar.

Wondering if a 15/40 is too heavy for a daily driver. What did the factory recommend in 1966? I was thinking back from my VW Porsche air-cooled days and a 30 wt was what I remember so maybe a 10w30 HDEO would be best.

...just stay away from Nader Brand Oils...they don't work well in Corvairs I hear.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Wondering if a 15/40 is too heavy for a daily driver. What did the factory recommend in 1966? I was thinking back from my VW Porsche air-cooled days and a 30 wt was what I remember so maybe a 10w30 HDEO would be best.

A lot of GM cars speced 10w40 or 10w30. Back in 66 it was probably straight 30, but a 40 weight oil would work fine in an old Chevy motor. Heck I routinely ran 20w50 in the summer in my 70 Nova with a 66 vintage 327 in it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would use either a good HDEO like Rotella T 30wt or one of the 15W-40. I would not push it past 4,000 miles.

If it's available, how about a picture of this old beauty.

They were certainly fun cars back in the day. Darn that Ralph.

Try sending a PM to Wideman. He just restored on of these. There is also a member in Indianapolis that has a beautiful one of these and I think he is using 20W-50 Amsoil in his. Not sure though.

I found it, his name is Pat In Speedway. Here is his profile and contact info. He has one of the nicest Corvairs I've seen in a long time.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=4429

I concur with Johnny, I would talk to Widman about it. He just restored a Corvair and he most likely knows a lot about them.

I had two cars with this engine, a '64 Monza four door, and a '65 Monza coupe.
I used 10W-40 all the time.
With what I have learned here, I'd probably use a 15W-40 HDEO.
Congrats on your fun ride.
The Corvairs are neat cars, and great fun to drive.
Powerglide or stick?

I'd try and find a SAE 40, but 5w-40 would work well. The only reason for the monograde vs. synthetic is the shorter interval.

Amsoil ACD

Meets both 10w and SAE 30 specs, high resistance to volatility and will protect against sludging in the high humidity of OK.

Good price on this oil if someone will let you have it at dealer cost.

Owning a Corvair in the 60's cured me having any romance for them. Similar effect with wooden boats and evergreen hedges.

Originally Posted By: brsmith
Amsoil ACD

Meets both 10w and SAE 30 specs, high resistance to volatility and will protect against sludging in the high humidity of OK.

Good price on this oil if someone will let you have it at dealer cost.

The only reason that this wouldn't be on my radar is that it's unlikely that you'll get your money's worth out of it compared to a conventional. Air cooled and 60's carb fuel management just doesn't work for me.

I agree Gary.

But, this is a car that will probably be babied and air cooled engines are harder on oil. I was thinking since this is a classic and they have gone to the expense of a rebuild/resto that better is what they would want.

Both my '84 Hurst Olds and '66 Dodge Hemi Coronet get upper end syns and they don't need it.

I just feel better running them. hehe..

Originally Posted By: brsmith
I agree Gary.

But, this is a car that will probably be babied and air cooled engines are harder on oil. I was thinking since this is a classic and they have gone to the expense of a rebuild/resto that better is what they would want.

Both my '84 Hurst Olds and '66 Dodge Hemi Coronet get upper end syns and they don't need it.

I just feel better running them. hehe..

Yeah, why quibble about a couple of bucks more. Owning the thing is nature's way of saying you make too much money anyhow.
grin2.gif

I can't remember the member's name, but someone in the ATF section went down a list of upgraded (machined and bolt on) items on their Mustang, probably $10k+ worth, and was looking for a cheaper trans fluid.

I just didn't quite know what to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back