Opinions on this bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could do worse.

have you tried any local bicycle shops? a good shop can make sure you're fitted correctly on a bike that fits your needs.

That would be a good street bike. I would get something like this and put some street tires on it. Much better braking in the rain with disc brakes. Plus if you want to do any MTN biking you would be set with this one as opposed to the one you are looking at.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_400HT_x.htm

If you don't know how to get the right fit read about it and get informed before you pull the trigger. I bought a Motobecane road bike new on Ebay back in 2005. It cost me $600 which is pretty cheap for a road bike. I don't regret buying it at all. I fixed up an older MTN bike and it's a blast as well.
This is the bike I got but it had a silver and black paint job then.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_record_x.htm

I will say if you do order online you might want to invest in a bike tool kit and use the Park Tools website. They have excellent repair info that walks you through things. I have worked on bikes for many years by myself using a bike book and learned some things I was doing wrong at the site. My online bike was not really adjusted properly when I received it.

Looks good to me. I'm sure if you were comparing it to some other name brand bikes in the same $$ range at a retail bike shop it would be a better buy getting it online.

If you could get one of the Bikes Direct bikes for close to the same as online price and they throw in lifetime adjustments and fit the bike to you that would be a decent way to go. I thought I read Bikes Direct had retail stores in some states? Is that the case with the shop you are talking about?

I rode on some bike trail last year in the Forest and it was a blast. I did not get too crazy though because I did not want to get lost.

Let us know what you get. Good luck and happy cruising.....

Last edited:
Great and thanks! I am not sure if its their retail shop but the prices are the same and you do get lifetime adjustments and tune ups but to size you and put the bike together is an extra $50 which to me is worth it. Thanks for the advice. Might be getting it tomorrow and if I do I will let you know!

The down side to a MTN bike on the road is the knobby tires. When I got my fixer MTN bike the back tire had been replaced with a tire that's smooth on the road part and knobby on the sides. But it's not bad, just a little noisy.

If you don't think you will use the bike off in the mud then you could put some smoother tires on the rims.

$50 is not bad, plus if the prices are the same as online you would still be getting a great deal.

Ok I ended up getting more of a bike than I had planned but I really got what I wanted. This is it http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_08.htm. Rides nice. The guy that runs the store is great and says he will upgrade the seat for free. Which that and the tires is the only thing I think I will change anytime soon and I would really like to have 2 sets of wheels and tires eventually. I like the 29ers. It will be ready to pick up next Wed. They did not have one that fit me. I can't wait. Thanks again everyone!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Which that and the tires is the only thing I think I will change anytime soon and I would really like to have 2 sets of wheels and tires eventually.

That is what I did during the time I only had a Merlin Mountain.

I had a strong set of spoked wheels with WTB VelociRaptor 2.1 knobbies for off road, and a set of 26" Spinergy 8 spoke aero carbon fiber wheels with Conti Gran Prixs (26x1) and latex inner tubes long distance road riding.
wink.gif

Wow you busted the piggy bank wide open on that one.

I was drooling over the Motobecane MTN bikes before. Also I'm intrigued about the 29r concept. Let us know how you like it......
What size frame are you getting? My old Diamondback is a 17" frame.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I most certainly DID!!

The irony is that once the lichen-kissers around here succeeded in getting ALL of the local trails shut down (EVEN the fire roads, despite our weekly trail maintenance/repair efforts), I sold the WHOLE setup, and bought a Merlin Road with Campy Record 10, and two sets of wheels.

I don't believe in (and have a MAJOR problem with) putting a bike in/on a car in order to find a place to ride, especially when there are perfectly good trails almost around the corner, so I went back to road riding exclusively.
wink.gif

I was drooling over the Motobecane MTN bikes before. Also I'm intrigued about the 29r concept. Let us know how you like it......
What size frame are you getting? My old Diamondback is a 17" frame. [/quote]

I got that 19 in frame. Im 6ft not sure what my inseam is but I had at least 1 1/5 in of clearance probably 2in. But just the little riding I did on the 29er vs the standard which I tested the 400ht I liked the 29er a lot better. It was smoother and felt more solid but it also had a better fork. So not totally sure how much each contributed to that but I have read many good things about the 29ers and it almost seems to have its own cult like following. I know the salesman smiled when I asked about the 29ers. And he was not trying to up sell. When I told him I was interested in the 400ht the 500 the 600 and 700 he said get the 400 The others are not really worth the extra cost. Not sure if I agree but still cool to hear a salesman say that. I am supposed to pick it up next wed and I will let you know for sure what I think then!

mcrn, I started reading at the top and was going to ask how tall you are and was going to suggest looking at a 29er. You beat me to the punch. All I will ride now is a 29 inch wheel.
What part of Florida are you in? I live in NY, but I'm frequently in Florida visiting my inlaws. I ride Santos in Ocala and Boyette and Alafia in Riverview. Awesome riding.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I most certainly DID!!

The irony is that once the lichen-kissers around here succeeded in getting ALL of the local trails shut down (EVEN the fire roads, despite our weekly trail maintenance/repair efforts), I sold the WHOLE setup, and bought a Merlin Road with Campy Record 10, and two sets of wheels.

I don't believe in (and have a MAJOR problem with) putting a bike in/on a car in order to find a place to ride, especially when there are perfectly good trails almost around the corner, so I went back to road riding exclusively.
wink.gif

Why on earth are they getting away with closing everything down. That's bull.......

Thanks NY! Im 6ft and from what I know so far I will stick with the 29 in as well! And im in Orlando so not too far away from Ocala but I definitely could not ride my bike there! Oilboy and whoever else wants to know......I just got the bike yesterday and really like it so far. Smooth ride and I like all the gears! (I did not realize how much I would use them and almost went for a fixed gear) I like everything so far except the seat! Im sore! I know it will take some getting used to but WOW does not feel good at all. I already feel better getting this kind of exercise. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Any comments or questions are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back