Best Hose Clamps ? ( Magnafine Filter )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I'm installing Magnafine filter thinking about best clamps to use ?

I like those ? ( Nylon )
FT1514_50.jpg

no rusting problem .. but then Not sure how they will like winter and hot temperatures ...

You would want something that keeps constant tension cold and warm.Regular everyday screw clams do not do a good job,you see many hoses dug deeply and even cut by folks trying to tighten them more and more to stop leaks.

Metal spring type clams or a screw type like flex gear are probably your best bet for a constant seal and even pressure on the hose.

No way would I use those nylon clamps pictured.
We are talking about pressure up to 70 lbs+.
Standard worm type clamps work well.
The FI types that encircle the hose are better.
Use 2 clamps at each junction, and rotate them 180 deg apart.

In OEM applications, those nylon clamps are usually used only in low pressure, non-critical applications like a hose for the coolant recovery tank... or the occasional emissions hose. Not a good idea for transmission cooler lines IMO.

Personally, I would prefer properly sized spring clamps. Problem is that those are hard to find- particularly in the exact size that you need for a given type of hose.

So as a practical matter, I just use standard worm-gear clamps in this sort of application. As long as you buy a good brand (not China junk) and install them properly (don't overtighten), they'll work fine.

Jeez, I wish I had asked this question a long time ago.
33.gif

I've had a clamp occasionally leaking on one of my magnefine filters. I think I'll get rid of the gear type and try the FI ones.

Last edited:
If you order from our sponsor I think he gives you the normal SS spiral clamps. Never had one leak. They are used in boats for everything. If its critical, they do double clamp it.

I ordered from our sponsor.

I've tightened the clamp to the point I'm scared to tighten it anymore. As it is, I'll need to re-cut the line to assure the integrity when I put a better clamp on it.

I put Magnefines on both of my vehicles. Only 1 clamp leaked out of the 4 total. No idea why, but I believe it to be that there is some bending force on that particular line. I think these FI clamps might solve all my problems.

FI clamps work well at keeping tension without trashing the hose,we use flex gear but any quality brand works fine.
I never use common mickey mouse worm screw clamps on anything except for an emergency on the road fix or until i can get a real clamp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Why should screw clamps be in such disfavor?
They work well.
What are you guys doing to screw things up?

I think there is a pun there!

mech, I don't know - all I know is one kept leaking, extremely slowly, and only at full operating temperature. I tightened it several time and it continues to do so. It's now dug into the hose itself and I'll need to recut the hose when I get a better clamp.

I've never had a screw type leak before, until this one.

Do not use those plastic clamps for tranny lines. They won't seal properly. You would be better off using small worm drive types or as people have said, the fuel injection type which are better than the worm drive.

You need to use the proper size screw clamps for a a small ATF hose. I used the narrow 5/16" width clamp when I installed my Magnefine and had no leak issues. Another person I know used the wider 1/2" clamps on his ATF hose and had a leak, probably due to the wider clamp being less flexible for that small size hose resulting in non-uniform clamping pressure.
You also need to have the correct size hose and filter connections. An oversized hose (loose fitting) hose will be very hard to clamp without leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back