Gas pumps...are they rigged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in SF and this one station i went to didnt allow self serve. i was watching the attendant pump and i noticed he switched from the slow pump to the fast pump half way through. i dont know what he accomplishes by doing this, so i asked him and he said that he wanted see how slow is slow and how fast is fast......yeah i called [censored] on that. Anyone know if pumps are rigged?

plus the fruitcake pumped an extra 80cents to round off to the next dollar.....gee thanks, won't be going there anymore.

Last edited:
Seems pretty fishy to me...

If it was a major oil chain call the corporate HQ and politely complain and mention the location, time, date, and describe the events to them...I'm sure they don't want the state weights and measures dept on their case.

All in all poor customer service, typical today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
I live in SF and this one station i went to didnt allow self serve. i was watching the attendant pump and i noticed he switched from the slow pump to the fast pump half way through. i dont know what he accomplishes by doing this, so i asked him and he said that he wanted see how slow is slow and how fast is fast......yeah i called [censored] on that. Anyone know if pumps are rigged?

plus the fruitcake pumped an extra 80cents to round off to the next dollar.....gee thanks, won't be going there anymore.

Which station is this? I'm in frisco all the time

Did he spin around three times then touch his nose before he went from slow to fast because that is the double secret sign to his partner to screw you over.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Seems pretty fishy to me...

If it was a major oil chain call the corporate HQ and politely complain and mention the location, time, date, and describe the events to them...I'm sure they don't want the state weights and measures dept on their case.

All in all poor customer service, typical today.

You can find lots of stuff about gas pumps on the internet. Reporting this to the state weights and measure is a good idea.

Here they measure exactly 5 gallons. If the pumps are rigged, they sill pump this amount. Any other amount could be suspect.

No idea but i know that my local Sunoco is pushing less than 93 though at 93 prices.The horrendous pre ignition noise of cars that need premium gives it away.Fill with Shell 93 and all is back to normal.

The attendant probably wanted to speed up filling the gas to keep the traffic flow moving. I remember seeing some certification sticker on the gas pump that tells you when they were last checked. When I pump gas I usually go from the medium to slow pump rate when its the tank is near full, just a habit of mine.

I know there is a gas station in SF that pumps the gas for you (at self serve price) and is probably the same one you are referring to. One time they topped off the tank so they can get it to the next whole dollar and I thought topping off the tank is not a good idea.

I "overfill" up to the next full dollar all the time. No problems.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn

Here in New Jersey it is illegal to pump your own gas (and it costs less than self serve surrounding states - go figure).

For cash payments, the attendants always try to reach a round dollar amount, failing that, they will try for 25/50/75 cents. This avoids trying to make change for odd amounts and digging for coins in pockets, purses, ash trays, under the seats, etc.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
I thought topping off the tank is not a good idea.

Actually you are correct.

On modern cars after 1985 so or most have charcoal filter canisters for emissions controls if you top off and go past the automatic shut off on the pump you may actually get raw gasoline into the charcoal canister and this causes permenant damage and probably will also result in gas fumes escaping into your passenger compartment as well. Replacement costs many dollars !

DO NOT DEFEAT THE AUTO SHUT OFF ON THE GAS PUMP. When it clicks off you're done.

Last edited:
For several years I worked for the largest Shell jobber in the state of New Mexico and he had a man that took care of the pumps and he made sure that they worked correctly. The last thing the company wants is to have a problem with weights and measures or any moisture in a tank. I would spot check the tanks in my area to make sure the employee was doing his or her job. I never found moisture in a tank. There are some shady dealers but on the whole it is a very regulated industry. If you feel there is or could be a problem report it to the weights and measures. There is something wrong with the station or the attendant.

Originally Posted By: Vilan
I "overfill" up to the next full dollar all the time. No problems.
21.gif

X2 I always go past by a few dollars after the pump shuts off. I like to get it up to where the gas is sitting right to the top where the filler hole is. If I'm getting on the highway right after I fill-up.

I hate when I have to travel to a state that has those pumps that will not let you top off the tank because of gas fumes that may get into the air.
smirk2.gif
But I can get around most of them by pulling up on the collar of the nozzle.

Last edited:
If you track your gas mileage you'll notice shenanigans like too many "gallons" going too few miles.

I know a special secret pump that keeps dripping gas for as long as you hold it open after shutting it off at the dispenser.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
No idea but i know that my local Sunoco is pushing less than 93 though at 93 prices.The horrendous pre ignition noise of cars that need premium gives it away.Fill with Shell 93 and all is back to normal.

I use the busy gas stations in town.

Sunoco/BP/Citgo are slow movers...Shell/Mobil/Marathon/Meijers and Speedway do very well.

Of the bunch I have found Marathon to be the most consistent and it has STP gas treatment in it as well....and a nice picture of Richard Petty at every pump!

Last edited:
If either of you is ever around I-94 and the Michigan Ave interchange. The one on the West side of the City where the old Cadillac plant was, not the one further out past Belleville/Ypsi. The Sunoco there ALWAYS has the best price in the Metro area. Filled up last week there for 2.719. And they are very busy.

Panthers (CrnVic/GM/TC) are notorious for filling the charcoal canister if someone tops off and the result is next time you go to fill you cant fill at more than a trickle or the pump trips off. Air cant escape fast enough otherwise. So, I never top off. First click, its done.

I noticed a Shell station around here that needed a larger correction factor when filling up with my ScanGauge than others. I didnt notice since it seemed to have the cheapest gas and I always went there. I had to correct what the SG thought I had burned by an extra 3% or so. Then I went to a different station and it was within 1% correction. I stopped going to the Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back