Oil Opinions Wanted - Suzukik RM-Z 450

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently rebuilding a 2005 Suzuki RM-Z 450 from the ground up. Lots of damage from the PO due to his ignorance, most of which stems from never changing the oil (or so it looks). The nail in the coffin was a manual cam chain adjuster that never saw an adjustment allowing the cam to jump causing the intake valves to get intimate with the piston.

I'm assembling a new head complete with a new valve train, new cams, new crank, new piston, replated cylinder, and all new bearings...most everything will be new.

The valve train is a flat tappet "cam-on-bucket" configuration (attached photos gives you a great visual). This is a shared sump bike with a max capacity of 1500mL.

valvetrain.jpg

I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for assembly lube and break-in oil for this beast. I'm about to start putting this thing together and thought I'd inquire to see what others were using.

Also, any thoughts on the CJ-4 spec Mobil 1300 Super 15W40? It's been hard finding a recent VOA/UOA to go off of and I bought 5 gallons a few weeks back for $6/gal. I figured for the cost I could afford to change it often enough even if it wasn't that great.

Any other comments or info requests are welcome, thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
...and use some kind of break in lube to coat the cam and valvetrain.

Which brings me here...which break-in lube/oil would you recommend?

there are many mfgs . Try some cam break in lube ,the valve train is all that may need the extra additives for the first few munutes of operation . Redline ,Stalube, G.M. makes a product called EOS and a Few oz to the oil would work. If it is the grease type coat the cam and valvetrain.

while mobil 1300 is not a bad oil, it would not be my 1st or even 3rd pick in the HDEO's. it just doesnt seem to hold up as well as ST, SRT, delo400. SRT5w40 is only a few ticks behind.

i use a special start up lube. my mind has gone blank. heck it may not even be around anymore.

if you are ultra worried. take the buckets out. clean them. clean them again. clean one more time. now spray it down with dupont teflon (sides and top) and then put it in. you could even brush the top with some M1 grease. the red stuff.

of course you could also look on thumpertalk.com in the rmz450 section under dirtbikes->suzuki

Hope you bought that thing really cheap, 'cause you're gonna have a fortune tied up in it.

"new head complete with a new valve train, new cams, new crank, new piston, replated cylinder, and all new bearings."

Very expensive, I would use very good oil in that thing.

Maybe, Maxima Extra 15w-50?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back