507629------525671 WITH EGR

MILES/OIL---MILES/OIL
27078--------18021

FE--------70----------67
CHROM------1-----------1
LEAD------82----------53 BOTH LABELED ABNORMAL
COPPER-----7-----------7
TIN--------0---------- ALUM-------3-----------2
NICKEL-----0---------- SILVER-----0---------- TITANIUM---0---------- VANADIUM---0---------- SODIUM----11----------13
MAGNESIUM-23----------188
CALCIUM---2698--------2582
BARIUM----0----------- PHOS------1039--------1138
ZN--------1196--------1283
MOLY------261---------265
BORON-----6----------- SILICON---5-----------7
POTASSIUM-0-----------9
WATER-----0---------- ANTIFREEZE-NO---------NO
FUEL------ SOOT------1.6---------1.4
VISC 100--13.9--------13.8
TBN-------4.5---------4.2

I'm not to worried about the lead. I am worried about the potassium, I do smell coolant around the truck sometimes, and have had to add a gallon 2 weeks before the sample was taken.

It says no coolant. But invisible coolant loss in an EGR engine = EGR leak till proven otherwise.

Charlie

Check all the hose clamps, we had a phantom coolant leak on one of our trucks, with the same engine ISX 565. It turns out it would slowly leak coolant when it got cold at night, but only then. It would run all day at operating temp and not leak a single drop. The boss finally had enough of having to keep putting coolant in it and changed all the hoses and clamps with new ones and the leak went away.

I was getting the same high readings on Schaeffer 9000 with my '05 ISX. I decided to switch to a regional label syn blend CJ-4 and the numbers have gone down considerably. Was getting that same 70ish FE and 50ish Lead. Now the FE at 20,000 miles is at or near 20 and the lead is down to 8-10. Why the high numbers with Schaeffer, I could not determine. Now that I see another ISX getting that same result, get the idea that the oil was more to blame. After several UOA's on Schaeffer, I was concerned that I had some excessive wear going on.

I have UOA with Schaeffer's in a C-12, a few deere motors and a D-max. The only one getting high lead is this Cummins. I'm running delvac now, we'll see if the lead drops. TT what were you getting for sodium and potassium in your ISX?

I was getting Sodium at around 6 and Potassium at around 3 on the Schaefer. That hasn't changed much with what I am using now.

I am not sure if the Cummins just plain doesn't like a Grp IV product or not. I got high FE and Lead using Amsoil Grp IV and the Schaeffer 9000 and the Schaeffer 7000 blend. Each choice got several oil changes to see how it was performing. Once I switched to the blend I am using now (40% Grp III), the wear numbers dropped down to levels that eased my mind a lot. And getting the new blend delivered to my house at $9 a gallon sure helped me feel comfortable as well.

Originally Posted By: vegasblj
MILES-------MILES 2004 KENWORTH, CUMMINS ISX 475
507629------525671----- 543486

MILES/OIL---MILES/OIL----- MILES/OIL
27078--------18021-------16926
SCHAEFFER 9000 --------- DELVAC 1300
FE--------70----------67------29
CHROM------1-----------1----- LEAD------82----------53 -----10
COPPER-----7-----------7------6
TIN--------0---------- ALUM-------3-----------2------1
NICKEL-----0---------- SILVER-----0---------- TITANIUM---0---------- VANADIUM---0---------- SODIUM----11----------13------18
MAGNESIUM-23----------188-----856
CALCIUM---2698--------2582-----2186
BARIUM----0----------- PHOS------1039--------1138-----1135
ZN--------1196--------1283-----1482
MOLY------261---------265------88
BORON-----6----------- SILICON---5-----------7---------1
POTASSIUM-0-----------9 ------- WATER-----0---------- ANTIFREEZE-NO---------NO-------NO
FUEL------ SOOT------1.6---------1.4-------.9
VISC 100--13.9--------13.8-------14
TBN-------4.5---------4.2--------7.2

I'm not to worried about the lead. I am worried about the potassium, I do smell coolant around the truck sometimes, and have had to add a gallon 2 weeks before the sample was taken.

This is my latest UOA after switching to Delvac 1300. The first 2 are Schaeffer 9000 5w-40, the last is Delvac

Last edited:
Sometimes when oil companies get a little carried away with an additive (add too much). Say the moly in this case it can actualy eat away at the bearings. I always seem to find uoa with schaeffers with high lead. That's just what happens when they use too much of one additive. The same thing can happen if they add too much zddp. Cummins actually says not to use oil with any more than 1.8% sulfated ash I think it's 1.8. Moly is a very good additive I believe it just can't be used in high levels like in this oil. I suppose it could have a slight coolant leak. The sodium is around 18ppm. On my engine the sodium is around 5ppm on my uoa's if I recall correctly. But then again this is an ISX so that's like what 15 liters? Much bigger than my little 6.7. Probably your egr cooler if they have them in a 2004 model. Potassium is the same as my engine. You shouldn't have to add a gallon of coolant though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: vegasblj
I have UOA with Schaeffer's in a C-12, a few deere motors and a D-max. The only one getting high lead is this Cummins. I'm running delvac now, we'll see if the lead drops. TT what were you getting for sodium and potassium in your ISX?
It's always seems to be the cummins that do it too. I don't usually see any other engine doing it. It's kind of dissapointing cause I really like oils with lots of moly since it sticks to the engine real good when it's shut off and is a good extreme pressure additive for when the engine is running.

I didn't use any coolant in the last oil change, but I do think the sodium is a little high.

well then I wouldn't worry about it. The wear numbers are coming down. Just stick with either rotella, delvac or delo. It's probably going to take a few changes to wash it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back