Petro Canada 0w20 and 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
How do they get GIII to pour at -66C ?

No where on the lubricant section of their website does it mention any base oil other than Group II and III. But I encourage you to make contact with PC tech support (as I have in the past) to confirm this.

That they produce. This is correct, as I checked after you linked it. But that still does not answer my question
grin2.gif

Yes, I will ask them for sure!

I know you are trying to use your PC points but for a comparable product but having (much) higher quality base stocks (PAO) you of course could consider Esso XD 0W30/40.

Last edited:
How do they get GIII to pour at -66C ?

No where on the lubricant section of their website does it mention any base oil other than Group II and III. But I encourage you to make contact with PC tech support (as I have in the past) to confirm this.

That they produce. This is correct, as I checked after you linked it. But that still does not answer my question
grin2.gif

Yes, I will ask them for sure!

I know you are trying to use your PC points but for a comparable product but having (much) higher quality base stocks (PAO) you of course could consider Esso XD 0W30/40.

I also like buying Canadian. I had no idea PC made this oil until it was mentioned to me.

I am actually NOT using my PC points to buy the oil. The distributor doesn't take them. I'm buying out of pocket. I can get a pile of their ATF at the gas station using my points, and I think I'm going to try and do that.

-Chris

As far as the XD-3 goes:

Originally Posted By: Esso
ESSO XD-3 EXTRA CJ-4 is manufactured from
high quality petroleum base stocks, carefully
blended with selected additives. As with all
petroleum products, good personal hygiene and
careful handling should always be practiced.

Code:

XD-3 Extra 0W-40

Density kg/m3 843

Kinematic Viscosity, cSt

@ 40°C 87

@ 100°C 15.2

Viscosity Index 186

CCS Viscosity, P

@ -35°C 57

MRV LPT, (°C at 60,000 cP) -46

MRV Viscosity, P

@ -35°C 93

@ -40°C 213

Pour Point, °C -45

Flash Point, COC, °C 215

Colour, (ASTM) 4

TAN (D 664) 2.4

TBN (D 2896) 7.7

Sulphated Ash, wt. % 0.99

vs

Code:

DURON-E SYN 0W-40

Flash Point, °C / °F: 221 / 430

Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 40°C / SUS @ 100°F: 88.7 / 450.14

Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 100°C / SUS @ 210°F: 15.0 / 79.59

Viscosity Index: 179

High Temp/High Shear Viscosity, cP @ 150°C: 4.04

Cold Cranking Viscosity cP @ -35°C / -31°F: 5548

Pour Point °C / °F: < -66 / < -87

Pumping Viscosity cP @ -40°C / -40°F: 26,940

Sulphated Ash, % wt: 1.0

Sulphur, %: 0.369

Phosphorus, %: 0.109

Total Base Number (TBN), mg KOH /g: 8.11

The Petro Can has a higher TBN, higher flash point and lower pour point.....

As far as the XD-3 goes:

vs

DURON-E SYN 0W-40

I can imagine that the PAO base stock found in XD might give it an advantage in the real world over a Group III base as found in DURON. But the proof is in the pudding i.e. we will need to see UOAs for each of these oils. I did a quick look and I dont think I have seen a UOA for the reformulated Esso XD.

blended with selected additives.

Does that necessarily means it is PAO based?

Is high quality petroleum base stocks similar to a good Group III base stock, marketing wise?

Your opinions on how the PC 0W-30 would stack up against GC would be interesting. I've used the 5W-30 in the past and thought it was great oil. I'm currently on a GC kick, but I'll switch back once my stash is gone if the PC product is just as good.

Or would the Duron 0W-40 be closer to GC?
21.gif

Gary

Originally Posted By: Pesca
blended with selected additives.

Does that necessarily means it is PAO based?

In this case yes. I quote from the PDS for XD 0WXX:

Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-40 and 0W-30 are synthetic since they use polyalphaolefin (PAO) as the basestock.

See here for the full text:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

Which of course still has me curious as to how they've managed this incredible pour point. Hence my question to them. I await their response.

Chris I owe you an apology
blush.gif
. I did hear back from PC technical support and was told that Duron E Synthetic 0W40 is formulated with all PAOs (which may include some Group V esters).

The stats of this oil coupled with its PAO base stock and incredible price makes it a must buy oil.

I look forward to seeing a UOA of it in the future.

PS: I have nothing but good things to say re Petro Canada technical support. In comparison I had nothing but trouble getting information from Esso re their XD line of oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mxhdroom
Your opinions on how the PC 0W-30 would stack up against GC would be interesting. I've used the 5W-30 in the past and thought it was great oil. I'm currently on a GC kick, but I'll switch back once my stash is gone if the PC product is just as good.

Or would the Duron 0W-40 be closer to GC?
21.gif

Gary

Duron-E 0W-40 is a much better comparison to GC.

PC 0W-30 is a thin, API-SM/GF-4 synthetic with a TBN of 7.7. GC is a thick, API-SL, non-GF oil designed for euro applications with a HT/HS of 3.5, and a TBN around 10, give or take.

As far as the XD-3 goes:

vs

DURON-E SYN 0W-40

I can imagine that the PAO base stock found in XD might give it an advantage in the real world over a Group III base as found in DURON. But the proof is in the pudding i.e. we will need to see UOAs for each of these oils. I did a quick look and I dont think I have seen a UOA for the reformulated Esso XD.

It would appear only the pre CJ-4 XD-3 was PAO-based. The Data sheets say different things.

Which of course still has me curious as to how they've managed this incredible pour point. Hence my question to them. I await their response.

Chris I owe you an apology
blush.gif
. I did hear back from PC technical support and was told that Duron E Synthetic 0W40 is formulated with all PAOs (which may include some Group V esters).

The stats of this oil coupled with its PAO base stock and incredible price makes it a must buy oil.

I look forward to seeing a UOA of it in the future.

PS: I have nothing but good things to say re Petro Canada technical support. In comparison I had nothing but trouble getting information from Esso re their XD line of oils.

No problem bud! It explains the pour point and performance. Which is why I was so confused when you initially stated it wasn't so.

My 4x4 arrived today. I'm resisting the urge to put it in right now
grin2.gif
I'm still 4K off from my 12K OCI marker.

I also ordered a case of their Synthetic Mercon V ATF.

I caved.

Changed the oil an hour ago
frown.gif

BTW, the Motorcraft filter was FULL of oil. I'm taking pictures. That silicone ADBV definitely works.

I caved.

frown.gif

BTW, the Motorcraft filter was FULL of oil. I'm taking pictures. That silicone ADBV definitely works.

Are you cutting the filter apart?

Originally Posted By: tig1
I caved.

frown.gif

Don't I always? LOL

Originally Posted By: tig1
I caved.

frown.gif

Don't I always? LOL

10-4

Originally Posted By: cp3
LMAO, sorry brother but that is too funny! I love it. Looking forward to the results.
cheers3.gif

So am I.

Initial observations: It feels and sounds the exact same as M1 0w40.

Which is good news.

I think of it as a thinner version of Delvac 1, which I absolutely love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back