PYB Sludge claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Avalon with the infamous 1MZFE "sludger" engine. My OCI is 3k (about every 4-5 months). I have used Castrol GTX for decades. Based on what I have read here over the last few months, I am considering changing to PYB.

I looked at the 5 qt jug of PYB at Walmart yesterday. It claimed 40% sludge removal. Then I looked at the 1 qt bottle and it said 15% sludge removal. What's up with that?

Based on what I have read here, I have come to two conclusions:

1. At 3k OCI, it doesn't make any difference whether I use Castrol GTX or PYB.

2. Castrol GTX is an ok dino oil, but most people think PYB is better.

Have I made the right conclusions?

I have a couple qts of Castrol GTX left over from my last change. Can I mix it with PYB?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd agree with your conclusions. It wouldn't bother me to buy a few more quarts of GTX and run one more OCI with that. Or stick with it. Or mix.

Really, with 3000 mile OCI you don't have any sludge to clean. These engines are problematic, but not that problematic. At 5000 mile OCI they seem to stay clean forever. Toyota recommended 7500, and that's the earliest I've seen serious issues.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

I looked at the 5 qt jug of PYB at Walmart yesterday. It claimed 40% sludge removal. Then I looked at the 1 qt bottle and it said 15% sludge removal. What's up with that?

Thanks.

The 40% labeled product is a newer formulation. As inventories deplete you will start to see the quarts show up on the shelves. It's already out there.

I really doubt you have sludge with that OCI ,there's no time for the sludge to develop,yes I mix common types of oil if its' conventional within the same grade/quality range,just to use it up.
I dont do this with syn,its a price thing.Heck there's times iv'e had 3or 4 different oils (same grade/close grade) just to use it up,or for a top off.
edit:*different engine and circumstances

Last edited:
Personally, i'd stick with the GTX.

NOT that PYB is a bad oil, but Castrol GTX has a LOT of detergent/dispersant in it - the use 2000-2200ppm of Calcium detergent, AND 250-300ppm of Sodium detergent. PYB uses about 1700ppm of Calcium, and 60-100ppm of boron.

I don't know the EXACT science of which formulation is better, but I just get a feeling that Castrol has been working harder on getting the maximum amount of 'detergent action' in their oils....

At your mileage rate, I don't see any reason not to just do a 6month OCI. Use whatever you please. Both oils are just fine.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
As I recall BP bought out the Castrol trade name a few years back.

I don't know who actually makes their oil?

Says BP on the jug.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
just make sure you replace that pcv valve at least every two years.

I still have the original PCV valve but I do clean it every couple years. In fact, I just cleaned it yesterday while I was pulling/inspecting the sparkplugs. It had a little gunk in it but it cleaned-up ok.

PS I still frequent the ClubLexus forum even though our RX300 was totalled a few months ago. My wife really loves her new Acura MDX. First non-Toyota, non-Lexus vehicle we have had since 1974.

Last edited:
Your wife can use the new-style grille of the latest MDX as a detachable 'superwoman breastplate' to fend off villians and attackers
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy

NOT that PYB is a bad oil, but Castrol GTX has a LOT of detergent/dispersant in it - the use 2000-2200ppm of Calcium detergent, AND 250-300ppm of Sodium detergent. PYB uses about 1700ppm of Calcium, and 60-100ppm of boron.

I don't know the EXACT science of which formulation is better, but I just get a feeling that Castrol has been working harder on getting the maximum amount of 'detergent action' in their oils....

Johnny?

Originally Posted By: artbuc
lexus114 said:
just make sure you replace that pcv valve at least every two years.

I still have the original PCV valve but I do clean it every couple years. In fact, I just cleaned it yesterday while I was pulling/inspecting the sparkplugs. It had a little gunk in it but it cleaned-up ok.

PS I still frequent the ClubLexus forum even though our RX300 was totalled a few months ago. My wife really loves her new Acura MDX. First non-Toyota, non-Lexus vehicle we have had since 1974.

you`ll see me over their,good luck with the acura.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy

i personaly like the pennzoil,but either should be fine.

Bought my '98 Sienna in 2001 (~63k, presently 165k miles). Soon after I discovered the 1MZ-FE sludge issue on the web. Read a lot of testimonials. Here's a summary -

The shortest OCI in which a 1MZ-FE sludged was 14k miles.

There were numerous sludgings in 20-30k range.

One Amsoil dealer sludged at around 27k of a 30+k OCI attempt (Amsoil came thru on warranty).

An M1 user sludged with 6k OCIs.

Almost everyone else was claiming OCIs per the Toyota manual, and many claimed 3k OCIs.

Most all of the above were Siennas.

Sample Toyota dealer responses - "even if you have Jiffy receipts, you can't prove the oil and/or filter was actually chged.", and "there's no way you followed the manual and sludged", yada yada.

Article finally hit the WSJ and Toyota sprang into action.

From my own data gathering, with few exceptions, if your 1MZ-FE makes it past 80k miles, then you're "safe". That could probably even be put at 60k miles. Also, the 1999 & 2000 models (esp. Sienna's) were the highest percentage of sludgers.

It appears the vehicles that sludged were doomed to sludge. I say this because there was the massive onslaught of sludgers (almost all under 50k miles) and now the 1MZ-FE world is essentially silent. I spent years (80k miles) running mostly 8-10k mile OCIs on M1 in my Sienna, and my Toyota mech. says it's all clean inside. I chged the PCV last year (the only chg to my knowledge) it was still whistling just fine.

If these engines were still sludgers, then they'd be dropping like flies given their present age and the typically inept oil maint. of the common public.

btw - the highest percentage of sludgers that I remember were in the 20-30k mile range. That pretty much says they were doomed from the day they drove it off the lot.

"I looked at the 5 qt jug of PYB at Walmart yesterday. It claimed 40% sludge removal. Then I looked at the 1 qt bottle and it said 15% sludge removal. What's up with that?"

Actually if you use the 5 qaurt jug you only get 40% cleaning, If you use 5 single qaurt containers you get 75% cleaning ( 5 times 15%= 75) that is why single qaurts are more costly.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
"I looked at the 5 qt jug of PYB at Walmart yesterday. It claimed 40% sludge removal. Then I looked at the 1 qt bottle and it said 15% sludge removal. What's up with that?"

Actually if you use the 5 qaurt jug you only get 40% cleaning, If you use 5 single qaurt containers you get 75% cleaning ( 5 times 15%= 75) that is why single qaurts are more costly.

Good one
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back