How to remove water from crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I partially sumerged my Suzuki 115 4 stroke with saltwater.Immediately after I got home I removed all spark plugs,blew air in cyliners,drained oil,etc.I refilled with fresh oil with Berrymans added to it,ran engine for about 15 mins and drained again.I assumed most or white milk is at bottom of oil pan because at end of drain thats when most of it shows up.Is there another additive/chemical that I can use when I do my second flush that will remove more water from crankcase?BTW the engine seems to be running fine so far.

I would have drained the oil completely then flushed the engine with fresh water. Yes water. You want to dilute and flush the salt out of the engine. Heating the engine/oil will cook off the water but what happens to the salt?

Agreed! Although I have not seen anything published recently, older boat manuals used to give the following advice.... all the motors at that time would have been carbureted two strokes.

If immersed in fresh water, remove plugs, spin and drain engine, carburetors, then reassemble, start and run until warm.

if immersed in salt water, remove plugs, dunk in fresh water, turn engine over a few times (just spinning the flywheel will do), then
continue with the "freshwater" drain and run process.

4 years ago, we put a 2000 model Evinrude Ficht 200 hp engine in the bottom of the river.... about 18 feet down. With the use of the bowline, we got the boat back on top, towed it home,
drained, whirled, etc.

(actually there were still 4 ski ropes on the pylon, the driver and skiers had become overly aggressive while performing a ski-around maneuver, where the skiers go all the way around the boat)

We added the following steps: Removed and drained the starter. It hangs "upside down" and filled with water that would not drain out. Drained the tank, the boat went down with half a tank of gas, came up with 3/4 of a tank.

Fresh gas, restarted the next morning, has run flawlessly for 600 hours since that time!!!

Outboard ignition and injection systems are totally designed for the marine environment.

Good Luck!

fsskier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back