First bike: scooter or... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 35, 5'7" and starting to think more and more about getting a bike to ride, mostly on back roads on weekends. I don't want anything super fast. I want something that's easy to ride/turn and relatively trouble free. I am planning on taking a basic rider course offered by the state. I've never ridden anything bigger than a 50cc scooter, and even that only a few times.

So, I'm trying to decide between a nice 250cc scooter such as Honda Reflex or an upright bike such as Yamaha Virago 250.

The Reflex seems more practical - has some built-in storage (maybe not critical for me though), and it'd probably be very easy to clean since it's all covered in plastic. I've heard scooters are easier to maneuver/turn as well.

The Virago looks nice and I've heard that engine sounds really good and is torquey, but it's probably not as easy to maneuver as the Reflex and I'm not crazy about having to clean all this chrome... But I'm guessing it rides more like a real bike than a toy.

I'm looking to buy used... probably in the $2-2.5k range.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a beginner?

It depends on what you want to be seen on.Ive seen Harley riders on those scooters its hillarious, but I would never say that.Pricing?I Think you'll get more value from a bona-fied motorcycle.Is a 250 still considered a 'first' bike? I know women who got right on a 650 no problem,and they weren't that much bigger than me.As far as too fast ,it all depends on the twist of the wrist.The most important thing is,, what do you like better, test ride some different options and take your time.

Last edited:
I've got ten years on you and I was thinking the same way about a year or two ago. I did a ton of research and decided on a Suzuki DR-Z 400....really nice bike! It can be had in a motard version if you're mostly gonna street it.

I stumbled onto a miata at a price I couldn't turn down though....that's workin' really good for me.

Better than 30 mpg and corners like crazy. It's kinda like a stunt plane without wings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
It depends on what you want to be seen on

That's sad.
Of course asthetics is taken into consideration just like with cars ,trucks ,four wheelers and just about every other conveyance.

A 250 is the smallest road bike I would buy. I had a 125 for my first bike, and it's top speed was in the 55mph range, which isn't really safe for 55mph rural roads.

Honestly, I would take a motorcycle safety class which will expose you to a few different bikes, then buy a 500cc or larger bike that you feel comfortable on. Here, MSF can be done through the technical college program for about 100 dollars, and you get your motorcycle license with it.

Last edited:
If I were an entry level rider looking for my first bike, I would seriously consider a Dual Sport, like the DRZ 400 mentioned above. Get it plated, and find some areas to ride on fire roads, etc, away from traffic so you can learn the controls and basic feel of a M/C before you head out on the street. Also take an MSF class. I started out on a minibike at 12, and worked my way through a succession of dirt bikes before I got my 1st street bike. Dirt skills are good to know!

Out here, these classes are offered for free by the state, but because of that, they're filled up pretty much for the rest of the year. I'm looking into signing up for a private class which is $300 - I don't want to waste a year.

If it were me I'd get a used Ninja 250, which has a surprisingly comfortable riding position. It's not extreme like some sportbikes. It is also fast enough to be fun once you get some experience, gets up to 7o mpg if you're easy on the wrist, easy to find a nice clean used one, lots of support, parts and repairs easy to do or to find. The nice thing is you aren't limited by where you can go, except offroad. Around town to the superhighway, it's all good.

I like the dual sport recommendation for a first bike, but depends on what you mean by backroads? And for how long a ride?
65-70mph for hours without a fairing isn't ideal IMHO.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I like the dual sport recommendation for a first bike, but depends on what you mean by backroads? And for how long a ride?
65-70mph for hours without a fairing isn't ideal IMHO.

By backroads, I mean local paved country roads with a typical speed limit of 45-55 MPH. How long? 1-2 hours at a time.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
You post your age and height, but not your weight. If you are too heavy a 250 might not be enough bike for you.

I'm about 150 lbs.

My thinking on the DRZ 400 at the time was, I didn't want to deal with the sideways glances from the Harley crowd and the crotch rockets. The DRZ is in a whole 'nuther class, and a cool one at that!

The height of the bike makes for good visibility in traffic (seeing and being seen) and manuvering in tight places is what it does best.

DRZ 400 looks like a dirt bike to me. I guess not my cup of tea, but thanks.

Hopefully I'll be able to try a few bikes at the class.

I have an 82 virago 750 as my first bike and love it! I have nothing to compare it to, but that's okay. It's more maneuverable than a car and fun to make right-angle corners in tight city streets. The MSF course makes you corner in this fairly tight box, a useful skill in tight parking spaces.

People will tell you to avoid >600ccs for a first bike, because they make some incredible crotch rockets at and above 600. (They get their HP at 11-12k RPM!) Just avoid crotch rockets! My early 80's bike is laid back power wise and at or near the pinnacle of Japanese hunger for quality. (Yes they may have made nicer stuff since then-- but they wanted to prove something and I feel it shows.) Insurance is $75/year. The 250 was the last of the Virago line, they kept it as a starter bike and it looks nice for that.

I have no fairing and my electrical system can't handle harley-style spotlights. Got a nice full face helmet to keep the wind out of my eyes and if I lean forward out of the wind could probably pin the speedo at 85. I commute and routinely hit 60-65 and the bike is in its element at that speed. Get 50-51 MPG.

I had a new honda nighthawk 250 at class. Could not get over its heavy weight, easily 90% of the virago, and way more than I expected. Teachers were all rednecks, called my name in front of a dozen bikes and told me to go find the nighthawk, I surreptitiously read "honda" on the gas tank (hardly knowing anything about bikes) and sat down and I guess I found the right one.
lol.gif

I'd get a real motorcycle, not a scooter, although I started on a Vespa GL 125 scooter in 1968. Then my Dad lent me $795 for a brand new Honda CL-350 in 1970, the year I graduated HS.

If you need storage space get a backpack and wear it when you need to carry stuff, or a tail bag or a tank bag.

I have a Virago 250 and if you replace the junk chain and sprockets with a 17 front and 43 rear, the bike is much better on the highway. I am 6'1 and 225 and mine has been trouble free for three years and lots of high RPM driving. I knock down almost 90MPG after the gearing change.

Pete - up to you really. I own both so I really can't lean toward one side or the other - despite my BITOG name.

Motorcycles are fun and general-purpose transportation devices - great for general cruising, even commuting. Doesn't sound like you're into off-road, so a street-bike would be fine. Only a few bikes come with bags, but saddle-bags are easy enough to add to nearly any bike and generally not that expensive - unless you want to go fancy.

Scooter are built for practicality from the ground up. They have an amazing amount of storage space already built-in - which is great for errands/trips to the store. Cruising on a 250 Reflex is just fine too - actually easier than a motorcycle since there is no clutch to worry about, just a twist-and-go CVT (Continually Variable Transmission).

I've had fun on both but it really comes down to your application. You can cruise on both all day long.

Rob

Get a real bike it will teach you more when you want to upgrade.
Get used to using a clutch. I think you may get bored and out grow either of your choices really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back