The "SeaFoam" Debate.. Yes, No, Or Maybe, and WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Just ftr- I'm done with this thread, in case anyone is looking for me to comment.

The fact that Seafoam is carb cleaner, a product that cannot be used near rubber seals on brakes, says everything we need to know about using it in an engine with a complex and often fragile seal system.

NEHEMI cannot let the consensus come down on the side of Seafoam being bad for engine seals, since he's used it recklessly in so many people's cars. He also suffers from a slew of cognitive biases on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cognitive_biases

In particular:

Post-purchase rationalization
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Post-purchase rationalization is a common phenomenon after people have invested significant time, money, or effort in something to convince themselves that it must have been worth it. Many decisions are made emotionally, and so are often rationalized retrospectively in an attempt to justify the choice.[1]

This rationalization is based on the principle of commitment and the psychological desire to stay consistent to that commitment. Some authorities would also consider this rationalization a manifestation of cognitive dissonance.

-----------------------------------------------------

People here who are smart enough to realize this already know Seafoam does not belong in an engine.

People who "want to believe", I'm not wasting my time on them.
Enjoy your mushy seals.

I'm out.

1st - where are the Mod's to stop this guy from these personal attacks? He has accused me of being paid to support products I like and he continually posts this kind of stuff where he calls me reckless, crazy, etc... and is allowed to continue.
21.gif

2nd - unsupported claims about a product you clearly have never used have little credibility with most people. It has nothing to do with me refusing to listen to a consensus or not being as smart as you either. I asked you, and those posting along the same lines you have been, to provide us some proof SF has caused engine damage( seals and gaskets, bearings, etc... )and you have not. Why is that? Because you will have an almost impossible time doing so. You may find an isolated instance out ther somewhere but the overwhelming reviews on SF are highly positive. That speaks louder than anything you say. You can slam me all you want, call me reckless and stupid, accuse me of being on the take( which I am NOT! ), and even use Wikipedia links to personaility disorders to try and make me look bad. Knock yourself out it just makes me look better in the unbiased readers eye. None of that stuff however validates your views and stance on this. It just shows you have nothing to back yourself up so you attack me personally instead.

3rd - the consensus is hardly that Seafoam is bad for engine seals. It is only a portion of posters saying that and it is clear those doing so have never even used it. Hardly a convincing argument on your, or their, part. 1/2 dozen guys repeatedly saying it is bad, with no proof offered or any personal experience to back that up, is hardly a consensus. I would say the fact everyone who has posted to this point that has actually used it, and claimed only good results, is the real consensus. Never used and making claims a product is unsafe and not to be used vs actually used and saying nothing but good. HMMM...Who to believe?
lol.gif

4th - funny how you say I won't let this go yet you are the one so desperate to try and sway other's opinions to your view and you are the one getting angry, attacking others, and making unsupported claims about SF. I have actually used the product for decades and never had an issue. You have never used it yet you can tell myself and those who have it is unsafe? I could care less if you use it or not. My issue with you and some others are the claims it is unsafe to use( and things like you calling me reckless for using it in other people's vehicles )when I know from personal experience that is false.

5th - Seafoam is NOT a carb cleaner in the manner you are attributing to it. It was not even designed for that purpose originally. That came/was discovered later. It was originally designed as a fuel stabilizer/treatment to stop varnish and gumnmy deposits forming in marine fuel systems when the fuel sat.

You should leave this thread and refrain from further comment until such time as you find proof to support your claims or actually use it yourself. Otherwise what you offer up is sort of useless. Show me some real proof of it being unsafe and causing damage as you claim( more than an isolated instance )and I will be the 1st to acknolwedge it and say you were right.

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Thanks for sharing although your contribution will be discredited by some because it was the mfg providing you the answers.

NHHEMI.... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/
Isnt the "Manufacturer Site..."

I understand that. What I meant was the guy who wrote it was quoting/paraphrasing what the guy from Seafoam told him. Hence me saying some here would try and discredit what was posted because it was basically info from the mfg( just written/past on by a 3rd party ).

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Seafoam is NOT a carb cleaner

29.gif

capturez.gif

31.gif

21.gif

Bottom line is that most major auto manufacturers clearly state in their owners manual (modern cars since 1980s) to "NEVER use any oil additive"!!!!!! They also generally state that "an approved SAE motor oil of the recommended weight and grade (SM, ect) will provide all the necessary protection, lubrication, and cleaning ability your vehicle needs during operation as long as recommended OCIs are observed.

Most owner's manuals also tend to indicate that....

The use of non approved additives to your engine may cause serious damage to seals, or other components they may void your manufacturer warranty.

I would never use any such oil additive because generally only the manufactuer knows about the composition of various engine seals and the risk of damamging seals that may cost thousands to replace or repair is not worth the "psychological balm" of using a product like SeaFoam or others to "protect" my engine from build up.

Don't use these snake oils, it ain't worth the risk.

If you insist on getting a cleaner engine try using any quality HDEO oil with a higher level of approved detergents than a normal gasoline engine oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Bottom line is that most major auto manufacturers clearly state in their owners manual (modern cars since 1980s) to "NEVER use any oil additive"!!!!!! They also generally state that "an approved SAE motor oil of the recommended weight and grade (SM, ect) will provide all the necessary protection, lubrication, and cleaning ability your vehicle needs during operation as long as recommended OCIs are observed.

The use of non approved additives to your engine may cause serious damage to seals, or other components they may void your manufacturer warranty.

I would never use any such oil additive because generally only the manufactuer knows about the composition of various engine seals and the risk of damamging seals that may cost thousands to replace or repair is not worth the "psychological balm" of using a product like SeaFoam or others to "protect" my engine from build up.

If you insist on getting a cleaner engine try using any quality HDEO oil with a higher level of approved detergents than a normal gasoline engine oil.

After walking into a dealership and reading those warnings in the owner's manual on any new car of your choice take a walk out to parts and look at the car mfg branded flushes and other additives and chemicals they sell you.
23.gif

After walking into a dealership and reading those warnings in the owner's manual on any new car of your choice take a walk out to parts and look at the car mfg branded flushes and other additives and chemicals they sell you.
23.gif

Agreed. It has been my experience that all shops(dealer or independent) offer engine flushes or cleanings.

I've always agreed that a properly maintained engine probably wont need a flush, but not all vehicles are properly maintained.

I know seafoam helped me out the one time I needed it.

Quote:
23.gif

Ain't that the truth! lol. Even my deal offers "Fuel and Emissions System Cleaner" along with their oil change....

My last Oil Change, after I left the dealer my CEL came on at a red light after I left.....called them up right away and they told me, oops we must have forgot to tigten your gas cap...

If they can use the additives, why can't I? :)

Seafoam gave me some pep back to my pre-owned vehicle, used it 100 miles before the first oil change (bottle states it can run 3000 miles with the SF in the crankcase) and the first gas fill up.

On the contrary, I recall watching one of those viral "seafoam videos" on youtube, where they were feeding seafoam through the intake (can't recall if it was the PCV or brake booster, nor do I think they disclosed) - but the video was the [censored]-end of the vehicle, in an attempt to show off their "smoke show" - after they let the car die after the dose of seafoam, the car started back up, you heard a loud rattle, and it wouldn't start back up :p

That's one of the only "bad" I've seen/heard of seafoam, and I don't think I'd ever use it through the intake....too concentrated for that method IMO, granted it is mostly carrier oil....

Like everything, overdoing anything will have a potential to do bad.....the bottle specifically has stated directions, 1.5 oz. per qt of oil into the crank case, 1 fl. oz. per gallon of gas if used in the gas tank.

Obviously, if you INCREASE that ratio, potential problems could occur.

Last edited:
Stealerships do LOTS of things they aren't "supposed" to do...the bottom line in how you maintain your car comes down to what the maufacturer instructs you to do...NOT the dealer. The dealer is merely an "agent" for the car manufacturer and while the have guidelines for things like service and such they don't always follow them...

I wouldn't take ANY recommendation that came from the dealer's mouth about service proceedures unless it had the complete blessings of the manufacturer. (IN WRITING)

Your owner's manual is your car's best friend! Next to you of course!

Stealerships do LOTS of things they aren't "supposed" to do...the bottom line in how you maintain your car comes down to what the maufacturer instructs you to do...NOT the dealer. The dealer is merely an "agent" for the car manufacturer and while the have guidelines for things like service and such they don't always follow them...

I wouldn't take ANY recommendation that came from the dealer's mouth about service proceedures unless it had the complete blessings of the manufacturer. (IN WRITING)

Your owner's manual is your car's best friend! Next to you of course!

You miussed the point I made entirely. It was not that the dealers are the ones trying to sell you the item it was that the car mfg offers these things under their label through the dealer. They may say not to use them but they offer them for sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
I recall watching one of those viral "seafoam videos" on youtube, where they were feeding seafoam through the intake (can't recall if it was the PCV or brake booster, nor do I think they disclosed) - but the video was the [censored]-end of the vehicle, in an attempt to show off their "smoke show" - after they let the car die after the dose of seafoam, the car started back up, you heard a loud rattle, and it wouldn't start back up :p

That's one of the only "bad" I've seen/heard of seafoam, and I don't think I'd ever use it through the intake....

I saw a similar video( Black Jeep as I recall )where they did the Seafoam and then when they restarted it they had a hard time and had a lot of engine noise. IF it was the same vehicle you had to watch video #2 where they ran the engine and it cleared out and quieted down. Based on my use of the product I will say they added too much or added it too fast and had a partial/almost hydrolok situation AND/OR they fouled some plugs which made it run rough annd hard to start( can even make the engine knock if multiple ones are fouled and misfiring ). Once the product burned off things were ok. May have been a different video but sure sounds the same. Used p/ mfg's directions it is safe to use but of any area to use it the one with the most risk of soemthing happening is through the vacuum line.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Quote:
23.gif

Ain't that the truth! lol. Even my deal offers "Fuel and Emissions System Cleaner" along with their oil change....

My last Oil Change, after I left the dealer my CEL came on at a red light after I left.....called them up right away and they told me, oops we must have forgot to tigten your gas cap...

If they can use the additives, why can't I? :)

Seafoam gave me some pep back to my pre-owned vehicle, used it 100 miles before the first oil change (bottle states it can run 3000 miles with the SF in the crankcase) and the first gas fill up.

On the contrary, I recall watching one of those viral "seafoam videos" on youtube, where they were feeding seafoam through the intake (can't recall if it was the PCV or brake booster, nor do I think they disclosed) - but the video was the [censored]-end of the vehicle, in an attempt to show off their "smoke show" - after they let the car die after the dose of seafoam, the car started back up, you heard a loud rattle, and it wouldn't start back up :p

That's one of the only "bad" I've seen/heard of seafoam, and I don't think I'd ever use it through the intake....too concentrated for that method IMO, granted it is mostly carrier oil....

Like everything, overdoing anything will have a potential to do bad.....the bottle specifically has stated directions, 1.5 oz. per qt of oil into the crank case, 1 fl. oz. per gallon of gas if used in the gas tank.

Obviously, if you INCREASE that ratio, potential problems could occur.

Very Well Said. +1

.. To Mazda forum user: he should not have SeaFoamed that car with that thin Oil.

I myself will stop putting 3 cans of it in every Gas Tank.. What are some Potential Issues that could arise from OD-ing on the Cleaners in my gas Tank?.

btw.. Engines are also supposed to not -SLUDGE,- as per the Instruction Book.
21.gif
.. What this means is: Some people are smart-asses, and kinda Dismiss the POTENTIAL Helping Abilities (MAY Harm, NO Guaranteed.. but 80% o fpeople LOVE SeaFoam!)

:D

i used it on my 350z,impala,Pontiac grand am did not do any harm at all,all of those cars ran better after seafoam.i got 3 bottles left
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE

Very Well Said. +1

.. To Mazda forum user: he should not have SeaFoamed that car with that thin Oil.

I myself will stop putting 3 cans of it in every Gas Tank.. What are some Potential Issues that could arise from OD-ing on the Cleaners in my gas Tank?.

btw.. Engines are also supposed to not -SLUDGE,- as per the Instruction Book.
21.gif
.. What this means is: Some people are smart-asses, and kinda Dismiss the POTENTIAL Helping Abilities (MAY Harm, NO Guaranteed.. but 80% o fpeople LOVE SeaFoam!)

:D

You put 3 entire cans of it in with every gas tank fill up!? You can't be serious.

Seafoam is a pretty harsh cleaner and used in moderation is ok, but 3 in every gas tank is pushing it.

It has been known to fowl plug up.

What are you trying to achieve with that? There are many other additives that will actually help your car performance wise(octane boosters, treatments) Seafoam is just like adding bleach to your gas. It can only be so clean.

Inside the oil makes more sense, cleans out sludge and gunk.
You can also put inside your intake mani and have it go through the exhaust. Even using to much in the oil is bad or will potentially eat away at seals and gaskets.

I can post many horror stories from my Audi forum about that.

Redline makes a good gas cleaner, Motul as well. These will burn hotter and help performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back