85-140w gear oil vs 80-90w

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's not a dumb question but the 85-140w gear oil should stick to my motorcycle chain better than 80-90w, is that right?

BikeLubes.jpg

I personally would not use either on a motorcycle chain. I would use a product designed for motorcycle chains. You want something that will get in there and lubricate the inside of the links.

Bel-Ray_Chain_Lube_detail.jpg

maxima_chain_wax_reg_LG.jpg

Belray and Maxima are both excellent choices when used as directed.

Last edited:
Dont waste your money on chain lube. You can get lithium grease in a can at lowes or home depot and it won't make the splatter mess that chain lubes do and it costs 1/3 as much.

If you have the sealed o-ring type chains you aren't lubing anything you are just keeping the chain from rusting etc.

I know many guys that only use wd40 and there chains and sprockets last up to 40,000 miles.

I don't like aerosol chain lubes. I feel gear oil lubes the chain better, especially if it's applied to a warm chain. Aerosol stuff is like glue that attracts dirt, and the more you apply, the more layers of crud and grime you accumulate on a chain, eventually making a real mess.

I just cleaned layers of crud off the drive chain of the bike I bought last week. IMHO many riders are too lazy to take care of a chain the right way. They want a no hassle spray they can apply in 60 seconds without getting their hands dirty. :)

I like to do things the old school way. It's more work but I think the chain lasts longer. It certainly seems to run quieter. Most spray chain lubes just aren't my cup of tea, but thanks for replying.

Dont waste your money on chain lube. You can get lithium grease in a can at lowes or home depot and it won't make the splatter mess that chain lubes do and it costs 1/3 as much.

That Lithium grease sounds like it might be a good alternative to spray chain lube. :)

If you have the sealed o-ring type chains you aren't lubing anything you are just keeping the chain from rusting etc.

Good point.

I know many guys that only use wd40 and there chains and sprockets last up to 40,000 miles.

I've heard varying opinions on WD-40. Some swear by it, others say it should not be used. I'd probably shy away from applying it to my bike chain.

Thanks for replying.

DuPont Teflon "Chain Saver" OR "Multi-Use Lubricant"

This stuff is the best thing I've ever used on chains so far. Goes on wet, dries, and for the most part, it doesn't really collect that much dirt. It does collect a little, but far less than a traditional chain lube. And the dirt that it does collect is much easier to clean off.

A high performance chain lubricant utilizing a patented dry wax formulation. DuPont™ Teflon™ Chain-Saver doesn’t attract dirt and doesn’t fling off. Can help chains and sprockets last up to 5 times longer.

Goes on wet. Sets up to a clean, dry, wax film which will not absorb dirt or grime
Will not absorb abrasive contaminants including paper dust, mill powders, lint and grass
Patented self-cleaning technology sheds contaminants to minimize or prevent abrasive wear
Helps chains work better and last longer
Highly resistant to water wash-off and won’t fling off
Water repelling, helps protect against rust and corrosion

Applications:

Motorcycle, ATV and go-kart chains (o-ring safe)
All bicycle chains – mountain, road, BMX, recumbent, etc.
Garage door chains, springs, rollers and tracks:
Industrial roller & drive chains, fork lifts, conveyors, stackers, forestry/logging chains, paper corrugator stacker and floor conveyor chains
NSF H-2 Listed.

I personally wouldn't use wd40, but I have seen way too many chains last many miles using to say it doesn't work.

I don't like the chain lubes, but I haven't tried the chain saver lubricant. I can't remember what brand of lithium grease I use but it doesn't collect much dirt and it doesn't fling all over the bike. It is probably very similiar to the chain saver lubricant you mentioned.

How much is that chain saver stuff? Might have to check it out. I only pay 3 bucks or so for the lithium. (I think it is teflon also).

Originally Posted By: QMartinez
How much is that chain saver stuff? Might have to check it out. I only pay 3 bucks or so for the lithium. (I think it is teflon also).

I think it's about $7 but I could be wrong.

I'll probably keep applying gear oil to it. They say gear oil should be applied about every 300 miles.

Some people also say that applying degreaser such as Foamy Engine Brite to an O-ring chain is a no-no but I've done it before. I think it was the only way I knew of to get layers of spray chain lube crud off the chain.
thumbsup2.gif

Back when bikes were started with a boot and leaked oil we used to remove the chain and soak it in a can of gear oil for an hour.Then hang it up to drain overnight,reinstall.

What is on the outside off a motorcycle chain does little.
What is INSIDE does a lot.
We have to get our lube inside.
Spray lubes are best for this. A good one sprays on thin, gets inside, and the carrier evaporates. this leaves a thick film.

If you go to the trouble of taking the chain off, immersing it in gear oil, and heating it up, it could work OK.

But really, use the appropriate chain lube for your type of chain.

Most cycle chains have sealed O rings if I'm not mistaken. So, with these chains, the idea is to use things that will not destroy the O ring, because grease is sealed inside the O rings, so you need to lube only the outside of the chain to prevent rust.

I think some people tend to go overboard with lubing a chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back