BMW MTF LT2 vs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT, but have ya'll replaced OEM BMW MTF LT2 in lieu of a different transmission oil?

Faves among some fellow ///M owners tend to favor the RP as a replacement.

Some people like Redline, too.

I replaced my OEM fluid at about 35k miles with RP and have been running it for the past 30k miles or so. I couldn't really tell much difference other than occasional inability to put the shifter in 1st gear. With RP, this issue disappeared, but lately it seems to be coming back - maybe it's time for another trans fluid change.

I've had no Qualms with Amsoil Universal in our X5 but this is for a different app (LT2)

With the transmission reliability on these, I've done at least 2 drain/bolt fills, then a pan drop and now another drain bolt fill this month. Slightly overkill but fluid is cheap compared to 5-6K for a transmission replacement

Redline MTL
Amsoil MTF

Both work well.

Certain groups of fanboys will tell you Royal Purple Synchromax (it has a strong following on a lot of bimmer forums) but I was not impressed - very thin and shifting was no better than anything else when new and worse when I drained it "early" at ~20k mi).

Redline D4ATF is recommended by Redline, but it's quite a lot thinner than MTF LT2 and Dave@Redline has indicated that it's their recommendation to be sure there are no shifting complaints from the general customer base. MTL and MT-90 are specifically formulated for manuals and will work just fine in the ZF or Getrag BMW applications but may be hard to shift when cold. I found MTL perfectly agreeable well below freezing - possibly better than D4ATF. This could be partially due to the specific formulation as a synchromesh fluid and not an ATF.

My application is a 1998 BMW 528 sport w/ ZF 5-speed manual. It has Amsoil MTF in there right now.

I was originally leaning on LT2. I was thinking the fanboys were stating shifting was better but in my mind, I was thinking it was just due to lower viscosity.

I drove a friends E46 with MTL and did not like it
Make D4 is the compromise.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
I was originally leaning on LT2. I was thinking the fanboys were stating shifting was better but in my mind, I was thinking it was just due to lower viscosity.

I drove a friends E46 with MTL and did not like it
Make D4 is the compromise.

Did you drive this friend's E46 with any other fluid in it? Who knows what else could be going on with his shift linkage.

If your friend's E46 was a 5-speed, I probably have the exact same transmission that he does, and above -10C MTL was indistinguishable or slightly better than D4ATF in my car.

I've personally run everything I mentioned in my response in my BMW.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

I've personally run everything I mentioned in my response in my BMW.

So, you prefer MTL over MT-90? I'm getting ready to change my fluid again... will probaby try one of these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back