Amsoil's 25,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and forget the numbers. ONE YEAR. I run into this with filter questions all the time. "Will this filter make 15k?" Sure, if you're doing 15k in a timely manner. Will it do 15k if you're dong 5k? Not a chance.

So, when someone says 25k ..they're really ignoring the ONE YEAR limit. Doing 25k in a year has got to be in so much of the sweet spot that it's not even funny.

Now 15k is a more REALISTIC amount that the average driver will accumulate in ONE YEAR.

A year ago I went 8400 miles and 11 months with ASL 5W30 on a 07 Nissan Xterra 4.0 V-6. TBN was down to 2 or so. Just changed oil yesterday with this same ASL(no UOA this time) at 9300 miles at 8 months. I don't trust this particular oil in my Xterra to go over 10,000 miles. Severe service/winter.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
A year ago I went 8400 miles and 11 months with ASL 5W30 on a 07 Nissan Xterra 4.0 V-6. TBN was down to 2 or so. Just changed oil yesterday with this same ASL(no UOA this time) at 9300 miles at 8 months. I don't trust this particular oil in my Xterra to go over 10,000 miles. Severe service/winter.

In your case it would be a matter of one more month of the last one with the UOA. 2 TBN was enough for one month.

What you're trapped in is the miles aspect of it and appear to have lost the time component.

Suppose Amsoil stated ONE YEAR (or 25k normal/17k severe - which ever comes first?

How would that alter your view?

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I think the majority of the people on this site will say (right, wrong, or indifferent) that Redline is more robust than Amsoil. However, Redline makes no mileage or time claims to the extent of Amsoil but that appears to be OK with BITOG’ers. Both companies are in business to sell oil so maybe Redline can easily go very extended OCI and they simply do not say that so users will change according to manufactures recommendations. Amsoils say they can go way beyond typical OCIs but maybe they hope their customer’s do not do that.

RL does make mileage claims...

Originally Posted By: Red Line Synthetic Oil Corp
Q: How often should I change my Red Line oil?

A:
It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between. Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary.

RL's reputation for robustness has more to do with how well it handles extreme conditions (fuel dilution, shearing, high temps, high spring pressures, etc.) more than it does with long OCIs.

Amsoil is king of the long drain.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner

In your case it would be a matter of one more month of the last one with the UOA. 2 TBN was enough for one month.

What you're trapped in is the miles aspect of it and appear to have lost the time component.

Suppose Amsoil stated ONE YEAR (or 25k normal/17k severe - which ever comes first?

How would that alter your view?

Amsoil does state 1 yr blah blah blah, I'm just going by my UOA from last yr. I know it's only 1 UOA but I'm not spending another $30 when I can just change the oil out for the same $. It's gotta be close anyway. Besides I now have the time to change it and I'll be towing a trailer in a few weeks long distance, so I can't be that far off with the 10,000 mile OCI.

Oh, sure .. IN YOUR CASE it's the beat down that your normal lower mileage short trip usage puts on TBN that made 11/12th of the recommended time interval the limit. As you add mileage and move more into a longer trip scenario, that TBN retention elongates.

..but sure..10k for you may be the limit if the driving habits aren't changed too much.

Ya, that's what I meant - for me and how I drive 10,000 miles is about right with that combination of oil and filter for that vehicle. I don't see my driving patterns changing much.

I did 58k km's (36k mi) on Esso XD-3 0W-30, which is very similar to Amsoil's product. Engine had to be torn down because of a cooling leak. Upon inspection, there was no sludge and everything looked brand new.

This was over a period of 5 years as well. GM 3.1L V6 MPFI engine.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
After testing that I've seen, that brand of oil runs out of TBN long before 25,000 miles or one year. I believe it's a quality oil but then again it should be for the price.I just don't believe it's all it's cracked up to be. If you were even going to attempt to go that many miles you should change the filter a few times and add oil as needed.

With all due respect, a comment that broad isn't very helpful or meaningful. What do you mean by "that brand"? Amsoil offers a wide range of products, such as the G-III XL line that have never been intended for the true extended OCI. At the other end, the top products, used under the correct circumstances, as noted by other posters, are quite capable of going the advertised distance.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
I did 58k km's (36k mi) on Esso XD-3 0W-30, which is very similar to Amsoil's product. Engine had to be torn down because of a cooling leak. Upon inspection, there was no sludge and everything looked brand new.

This was over a period of 5 years as well. GM 3.1L V6 MPFI engine.

36K miles over a period of 5 years on a GM engine? WOW.

What's so ground-breaking about 38k on a GM engine? I would have gone much longer if it weren't for the dreaded 3.1L V6 lower intake manifold gasket problem.

its all marketing.. i bet 95% of cars will not be able to go 25k miles on 1 oc without topping off in addition to the TBN not going below low range.

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
its all marketing.. i bet 95% of cars will not be able to go 25k miles on 1 oc without topping off in addition to the TBN not going below low range.

Topping off the oil is part of normal maintenance.

Even over the paltry 10K mile interval VW has, most consume 1/2 to 1 quart/liter (depending on conditions).

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn

..but will you admit that ONE YEAR is doable. I've done that with RTS ..and I think I've done it with Bruce's 0w-10.

If you can admit that ONE YEAR is doable ..and you reason that the normal service duty of a vehicle is in the sweet spot a GREAT DEAL when exceeding 12k/year ..

..then it should not be too hard to figure.

Now finding the few who actually do 25k+/year is the hard part.

lol @ Now finding the few who actually do 25k+/year is the hard part.

'What's so ground-breaking about 38k on a GM engine? I would have gone much longer if it weren't for the dreaded 3.1L V6 lower intake manifold gasket problem.'

How many oil changes was this vehicle able to see/last? I mean, was there any negative results from maintaining this long OCIs on the car?

I think he's saying 38k on one OCI over 5 years. That's in unicorn territory ..but
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm

How many oil changes was this vehicle able to see/last? I mean, was there any negative results from maintaining this long OCIs on the car?

Don't know yet; its still going strong, sludge-free, and 50k into another interval without an oil change. More likely to die a death by animal impact than anything to do with the oil.

I had 26L of oil in inventory when I started doing the long changes ~100k ago.....and I have 10L today, with one 5L oil change inbetween. So that's basically 11L of top-up oil over 100k. Since it has an oil leak....that's pretty reasonable in the whole scheme of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back