Safety Record: BP vs. ExxonMobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been much in the media lately vilifying "big oil", as if all oil companies are to blame for the recent Gulf spill. So it was a pleasant surprise to see a report by msnbc regarding the safety records of BP and ExxonMobil:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37045263/ns/business-the_new_york_times/

BP:

Quote:
...BP, the nation's biggest oil and gas producer, has a worse health, environment and safety record than many other major oil companies...

ExxonMobil:

Quote:
The industry standard for safety, analysts say, is set by ExxonMobil, which displays an obsessive attention to detail, monitors the smallest spill and imposes scripted procedures on managers.

Before drilling a well, for example, it runs elaborate computer models to test beforehand what the drillers might encounter. The company trains contractors to recognize risky behavior and asks employees for suggestions on how to improve safety. It says it has cut time lost to safety incidents by 12 percent each year since 2000.

Analysts credit that focus, in part, to the aftermath of the 1989 Exxon Valdez grounding, which spilled 11 million gallons of crude oil into Prince William Sound in Alaska.

"Whatever you think of them, Exxon is now the safest oil company there is," said Amy Myers Jaffe, an energy expert at Rice University.

Exxon learned a hard lesson from the Exxon Valdez disaster, and now BP is getting "schooled" by Deepwater Horizon.

It's a shame sometimes, but there really is no better way to learn than the hard way...

More sensible to look at the oil industry by regions - in which case the Gulf Coast is among the worst !

So ..GOD MADE them drill there? Made the fubar happen? Not my damage control tactic of choice.

I'd simply say that these things will happen. Man is flawed and will err.

With cars you have collisions. With Space Shuttles you have catastrophic failures. With oil drilling you have spills.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
So ..GOD MADE them drill there? Made the fubar happen? Not my damage control tactic of choice.

I'd simply say that these things will happen. Man is flawed and will err.

With cars you have collisions. With Space Shuttles you have catastrophic failures. With oil drilling you have spills.

Outstanding points. (removed religious content) Accidents happen. That's why they are called accidents. No one would set out to have an oil spill like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an industrial sense, there's no such thing as an accident.

Stuff doesn't just happen, but there's always a sequence of events, mistakes, negligence and oversights that lead up to them.

Sometimes, no reasonable person could have forseen the incident, and industry learns smething new, and everyone has to modify their equipment, processes and practices.

Originally Posted By: MegaCorp
removed political link

I think this is a dumb thing to say even if it were correct, i.e. a large gas pocket blew all the well's properly working saftey devices. This would be like saying that off-shore drilling can't be done safely no matter how many precuations are taken. I think they are trying to say the oil company is off the hook for responsibility but they are unwittingly casting aspersions on all off-shore drilling.

Anyway, I like Exxonmobil OK. I just wished their gasoline was top tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts were removed due to political content (and links).

We were notified.

Please keep it on subject without going there!

Thanks, bill

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
...I just wished their gasoline was top tier.

FWIW:

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/Products_Services/Fuels/Gasoline.asp

Quote:
Exxon branded retail gasolines meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM/Products_Services/Fuels/Gasoline.asp

Quote:
Mobil branded retail gasolines meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards.

This is all news to me, good to know. I never seen ExxonMobil on the lists of top tier gas, but these ExxonMobil links clearly claim they are. You don't hear much about Mobil's gas detergents like you do Chevron and Shell. In the past I used Mobil and it did not keep my injectors clean but maybe some other brand of gas clogged them beyond hope. I'd like to use Mobil gas as they have them everywhere here. I wonder if their detergent package is as good as Shell's?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I never seen ExxonMobil on the lists of top tier gas, but these ExxonMobil links clearly claim they are.

From what I've read, other brands are not listed because they have objections to the top tier 'rules' even though their fuels meet the top tier standards.

See this post I made 4 years ago (unfortunately, the link in the post no longer works): http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post675815

Quote:
Mobil...objects to the qualification process required to advertise their gasolines as meeting the Top Tier Standard... Mobil is not the only company that has balked at climbing on the Top Tier bandwagon...

In other words maybe they don't really meet all of the top tier requirements? Some of the requirements probably aren't that important, but some are and who knows what they're not meeting or objecting to? I'm wondering if the gas met the requirements why wouldn't it be listed. Sounds maybe like the claims of antifreeze and universal ATF makers claim their product "meets" certain requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back