Blackmax 22" w/ Honda GCV 160 CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. My parents will need to get a lawn mower in 1 month, hopefully. My dad saw this at Sam's. He likes it because of the Honda engine, but a Google search only turned up the Sam's page for it. Anybody have one and care to share your experience with it?

I highly recommend the Toro Recycler Rear Wheel Drive with the personal pase self propel system.

Link To Web Site

Had one for years and got a Troy Built Mower with a Honda Engine and within a few months the transmission went out. Fixed under warranty but not near the mower that the Toro was.

Next mower will be another Toro.

Sounds like one of many cookie-cutter type mowers. It's probably not anything special, so if it's priced like something special, stay away. Just go to Walmart and buy one with a Briggs on it if you're looking to stay on the cheap.

Toro might be the best mower available today. Others will disagree. Just follow this rule of thumb. Bottom of the line is like the Troy Bilt. The front wheel drive will go out. Next up with rear wheel drive is a superb mower. Honda is also great as long as you stay away from the bottom of the line model.

We'll also look at Toro. Never heard of the Blackmax so I thought I'd ask. Usually anything with a Honda engine on it seem to be ~$400 at least.

There's no way I'd pay $300 for that Sam's Club mower, Honda GC or not. There's too many named branded & dealer mowers available in that price range.

Joel

There is a great husqvarna or Craftsman at Sears. It's a 22" cut professional, rear drive, it has a hose from the deck to the bag instead of a cover. Briggs 7.75lb OHV engine. It was a week or two ago but it was either $299 or $399. Considering we paid $399 for our craftsman front drive 22" briggs 675 series, that is a great deal imo.

Most "Box store" mowers are either MTD, or AYP. Common exceptions are Honda branded mowers and Toros. That Sam's unit is either an AYP or MTD.

That Husqvarna above looks like an MTD (due to the drive speed control).

If you end up with an AYP or an MTD unit just be aware that they do nothing really well. They don't mulch pretty like the dual blade Hondas or the Toros, but if that isn't a big requirement, they are OK. They are prone to transmission failures (driven gear usually) and rust like theres no tomorrow when you don't clean under the deck (goes for most steel decks I guess). Take care of it, and clean it, and the only real weak point is that drive gear that might last 150-200 hours. The rear wheel drive systems seem to be more reliable.

The GCV160 is just a happy engine. I have a Troybuilt (MTD) FWD I got on special at Lowe's 4 years ago and it has been flawless. It is starting to push the 130 hour mark and I am preparing to swap the drive axle next season.

What's AYP and MTD? How difficult is it to replace the drive axle?

We're just looking for something reliable that will cut grass, or actually weeds for a while at the house being bought. Might start a lawn care thread in the future for that.

I looked at the mower in person yesterday and it doesn't look that bad. It seems from the other thread about Honda GCV 160 that the carbs get clogged, so would it be okay to put in an inline fuel filter right out of the box?

I also saw a few nice mowers at Sears, but they are kind of pricy without some sort of discount or rebate. There was a Husqvarna with a Kohler engine. Are those any good?

Last edited:
I didn't realize the link in my original post didn't link to the the mower. Here is what it says
Quote:
The Blackmax Self Propelled Walkbehind Mower is powered by a 160cc Honda engine and converts easily from mulch to rear bag to side discharge with no tools required. Five position height adjusters make changing the cutting height easy with no tools required. All of this and more will give you the power and ease you need to keep a well maintained yard around your home.

Specs:
GCV 160cc Honda Engine
22" Front drive self-propelled mower
Deluxe ergonomic padded handle
3-n-1 rear bag/mulch/side discharge
8" front and 12" rear wheels
5 position height adjusters
Assembled Dimensions: 59" x 23" x 44"

Assembled Country: USA
Component Country: USA

Turns out it is related to Husqvarna and Poulan.

Last edited:
I bought this exact mower from Sam's three years ago with the GCV160 engine. Broke it in with Pennzoil HD30 dino, then switched to PP 10W30 and have been using that since. Works great and no smoke or oil usage of any kind. The engine has been perfect and trouble free.

The rest of the mower is pretty poor. I have yet to find a replacement blade that fits. Generics won't work. Under the deck, part of the circle is formed by a piece of sheet metal held by a single weld at each end. Very cheap. The self-propelled gearbox failed 6 months after I bought it. The plastic box where the cable and handle attach came part all by itself at some point and I had to reassemble it. And the wheels are hard to adjust and have these flimsy handle ends that are either missing or always falling off.

I won't buy another one that's for sure
31.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
What's AYP and MTD? How difficult is it to replace the drive axle?

MTD and AYP (might be EYP now) are the two biggest low end mower suppliers out there. They supply the cheap stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, ACE Hardware, and a hundered other chains. Names like Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet, Bolens, Poulan, Husqvarna, Weedeater etc were bought up by these two companies. They might not have bought the companies, but they bought the rights to the name for low end/low cost equipment. Stuff like Yard-Man and Troy-bilt are both MTD products. Same parts, different color paint, different color wheels, and different color trim (in some cases).

Drive axles are easy to replace. Figure $150. Problem is by the time you figure $150+ shipping, and your time, and a likely rusted deck as well, then you start looking for a new mower. And the cycle repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back