Honda CN4 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Wing owners have millions of miles using Mobil-1 15W-50 (the old red cap).
They changed to Rotella 5W-40 when Mobil stopped making red cap and now have millions of miles on that too.
Any quality diesel oil will work fine.
Mobil-1 has making 15W-50 again (silver cap) so that's an available choice too.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Gold Wing owners have millions of miles using Mobil-1 15W-50 (the old red cap).
They changed to Rotella 5W-40 when Mobil stopped making red cap and now have millions of miles on that too.
Any quality diesel oil will work fine.
Mobil-1 has making 15W-50 again (silver cap) so that's an available choice too.

I've used

red cap
gold cap
silver cap 15w50 in my ATV great oil!

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

OK. On paper, HDEO oils have TOO much detergent, abrasive detergent(Mg), too high a HTHS for good power, and marginal detergent to EP ratio. Will it work O.K. in a non-racing scenario? - Yes. Is it optimal - NO. I would run a 1 qt M1 R4T and the balance of M1 0w-30 or Valvoline synpower 10w-30 after break-in.

Given the many great UOAs from motorcycles using HDEOs, I would have to disagree with your statement. Just go look at all the UOAs in the proper section. No arguing with great results....
To properly assess the UOA you have to run a race filter with low efficiency to allow most agglomerated particulate in suspension NOT trapped by the filter (or optionall carefully analyse filter contents). What is captured in the filter is NOT seen in UOA. Looking at UOA for wear trends is usually futile and will not even uncover a failed (not failing, FAILED) engine. Folks here misinterpret UOA ALL the time.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would stick with a good performace MOTORCYCLE synthetic in a high revving bike and leave the HDEO to slow moving v-twins.

HDEO works great in the 10,500 rpm v-twin Suzuki engines in their SV and DL lines. I have a DL650 running Schaeffer #9000 5W-40, and it runs great.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Nothing wrong with the Honda GN/4 oil. It's a run of the mill conventional oil.
Since it has the magical Honda name on it, you have to pay extra.
There are other better oils for less money.

Please suggest some brands if you would. Keep in mind the bike has a wet clutch so I don't think it can be any car oil.

Yes, you do not want to use car oil. Shell Rotella-T synthetic 5W-40 is a diesel engine oil that is dual-rated for gasoline engines and has passed the JASO-MA wet clutch tests. Other diesel engine oils will work fine, but have not been submitted for testing--expensive and not a big part of their marketing.

OK thanks. Now I think my mind is made up. I'll try to get Rotella T synthetic 5-40 at Walmart. Seems like a very good product and a bargain at that. I'll also check out Delo and Delvac diesel oils.

I'll probably run the Honda GN4 10-40 that's in it for maybe 2000 miles or so.

Went to Walmart today to get oil for next bike OCI and came home with a gallon of Mobil Delvac 1300 15-40 for $9.50. Was going to get Rotella T6 synthetic 5-40 or regular Rotella T 15-40 but something told me the Delvac would be plenty good enough.

I remember someone saying the Delvac seemed to make the bike shift the best. I have a feeling it will make my bike purr like a kitten.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Great oil and great price.

I'd bet it is too. I posted info on using these diesel oils in bikes at another forum and they more or less read it and had nothing to say about it. I guess I made one guy scratch his forehead. I bought the gallon of Delvac for $9.50 and they had Mobil bike oil for $9 a quart a few isles away, and most buyers unknowing of the bargain that Delvac, Delo, and Rotella is in a bike.

I say thank you BITOG for teaching me these valuable things.
thumbsup2.gif
$9 for a bike OCI (not counting the filter price) with Delvac vs $36 for a more expensive, probably no better cycle oil.

"I say thank you BITOG for teaching me these valuable things. thumbsup $9 for a bike OCI (not counting the filter price) with Delvac vs $36 for a more expensive, probably no better cycle oil."

It's good to see when someone can connect the dots and avoid the "boutique oil" compulsion.

I have a friend who owns a Harley. He did a complete Amsoil synthetic oil change in all components last year. He put less than 800 miles on the bike all season and put it away in dry storage for the winter.

This spring, he calls his mechanic to get the oil changed. His mechanic told him it wasn't necessary. So the guy decides to do it himself despite the mechanic's advice. Last week, he drops all of the oil in the engine and transmission and tops off the primary. He ended up over-filling everything with the various Amsoil products. Obviously an obsessive compulsive disorder issue there.

That's the kind of guy that the boutique oil companies love. People with OCD and money! Perfect!

Originally Posted By: 47HO
I have a friend who owns a Harley.

Really?

56.gif

Yeah, we were friends long before Willie G. lured him into the cult. He's only recently joined the herd. Maybe three years now. However, he is totally indoctrinated. He's been drinking the Koolaid big time.

We never ride together though. He's slow and noisy and likes to do his peacock show in town. I ride quiet bikes out on the back roads at moderate speeds. To me that's where the fun is.

Another reason we don't ride together is that I'm reluctant to be seen with him when he has his "costume" on. Totally embarrassing. I liked him better when he was normal.

Another reason we don't ride together is that I'm reluctant to be seen with him when he has his "costume" on. Totally embarrassing. I liked him better when he was normal.

Why? Does he sport one of those skull balaclavas, or does he dress like a pirate?

Having said that, I have to confess that I've taken to wearing leather chaps for my morning commute when it's colder than 5C. With my Fieldsheer jacket and Joe Rocket helmet, I probably look like a cowboy Power Ranger...

Originally Posted By: OldSparks

Why? Does he sport one of those skull balaclavas, or does he dress like a pirate?

Yeah, sort of like the Ronald McDonald of pirates.

He hasn't quite graduated to the "skull" thing yet. Another year or two and he'll be there I guess......

Oh look. Donut Boy (who is now a "friend") makes yet another appearance in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with Harleys. Talk about obsessive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FLHRGator
Oh look. Donut Boy (who is now a "friend") makes yet another appearance in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with Harleys. Talk about obsessive.

Dry your tears now. We're not talking about you.

If the similarities between yourself and the Ronald McDonald pirate are so obvious that it causes you discomfort, you have my sympathy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back