2010 Nissan Frontier review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm need a replacement small truck. I want a 4x4, v6, manual trans for less than 22k. The nissan seems like a pretty good truck that has all the options that i need and it is priced at 25k (SE) or 28k (pro4). I'm hoping that i can get the dealer to work with me down to 22ish.
Would there be any wisdom to save 2-5k and buy a lightly used truck over a 2010 SE?
Does anyone have any experience with the new style Frontiers? gas milage, problems, recalls, or good things?
Has anyone brokered a sweet deal lately, if so how much below MSRP?

I would also consider a Taco if it makes my 22k limit. How flexible is Toyota after the recall issues?

PS i have the money and a good job but i need a reliable truck to drive till the door fall off.
Thanks for the help,
Greg

I have the 2007 Fronty with 4WD, V6 but auto trans. So far, a very dependable truck wth 19,000 miles on it. I take good care of it, drained the factory fills in the diffs and transfer case quite early and replaced them. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Purolator or Wix filter. Tires are Goodrich long Trails that are wearing very well. I use this vehicle to hunt so it sees off-road useage. I bought the SE version with some bells/whistles such as step bars, bed extender (useful!) and the bed, of course, has that great Utilitrak system. I ordered skid plates from Courtesy Nissan in Texas and installed them myself. They are not really thick but meet my needs for protection from sticks and thrown rocks. I routinely get between 22-25 mpg highway. Both Toyota and Nissan recommend at least 91 octane to get mac power. I usually blend 93 and 89, varying eachfill, to get the good gas mileage and the full engine power. I really like my truck to date. It is comfortable and does all I ask, including moving about a 1000 pound gun safe 125 miles through the mountains of central PA.

On-line I have read of issues with timing chain guide wearing early.

I've got a 2008 Nissan Frontier with around 34,000 miles on it. To date, it's been a solid truck with no issues. It seems to be a tough little truck. It will run with a Tacoma but you don't pay the Toyota premium.

I've got the 4x4 SE Value Truck Package Crew Cab and get from 19-21 MPG. I did a lot of internet forum watching before I bought my truck and at that point there seemed to be two common problems people were having. 1) Timing chain guide issues. Most seem to fail under warranty, if they are going. IIRC it has something to do with sharp edges on the actual chain. 2) Fuel sender unit failure. I just recieved a recall on this one - they are installing a new type. I don't think the 2010s were recalled, maybe they had the new type in already.

I bought mine in August 2008. Think $4 gas - I got $10K off MSRP. I'm not sure if the deals are that good now, but my experience is that Nissan is very aggressive on wheeling and dealing. Probably doesn't help resale, but I'm driving this thing to 200K anyway.

Those are pretty good MPG numbers from a 4.0 4x4.

I like the current generation of Frontier, but unfortunately I have only driven them in parking lots. I have driven Titans though, which are essentially just bigger V8 Frontiers, and have never been disappointed.

Keep in mind the Suzuki Equator is an identical twin to the Frontier. You may be able to get one for slightly less than a Frontier, and I think they have a better warranty. I'm just not sure if you can get a manual trans with 4WD in the Equator.

Make sure you sit in ALL the seats. Before I bought my Tacoma, I looked at Nissan. Great truck, but the front passenger seat was a deal-breaker for me. Glove box was so low and close to the floor, my legs could not fit comfortably under it, no matter how far back I pushed the seat. Otherwise a great truck with a fully boxed frame, unlike Taco's C-channel frame.
You can find deals on Taco's. I sold mine last year (to get out of debt), replaced with a year-old Kia I paid cash for. Still miss my Taco.

In all honesty they are both good trucks. See where you can get a deal, and which one is more comfortable. Changing oil in Tacoma was very easy, filter in V6 was right on top.

Make sure you get factory towing package with Taco. It comes with an oil cooler and a second AT cooler, among other things. Your engine and AT will thank you.

Last edited:
I only had one complaint with my frontier, and it was the fuel economy. that said, it was a 2003, with under 50K miles but did have the 3.3 supercharged v6. fun car, very coumfortable and after tightening the front torsion bars drove great.
I've heard the newer 4.0 engines were a lot better and had better mileage

We have an 07 2WD 6-speed, crew cab, long bed. Been a great truck, our favorite so far.

I test drove a 2010 prox4 4x4 with the six speed today. Boy she was nice compared to my old jeep. Smooth, quiet powerful, and comfortable. With out going in to the numbers they knocked off 3k right off the bat down to 29 even. That should be a good sign considering i'm in Hawaii for the next few weeks and buying in PA.
I agree the design of the Nissan seems tougher that the taco. The channeled frame, oil cooler, are nice features. I'm going to test drive a taco tomorrow.

Thanks fro the info, i will report back.
Greg

I have an '05 (first year of the current style) and it is really a fantastic truck. No complaints. Tacoma would be a good choice too.

I have an 09 SE 4x4, same as the 10, and there are really only two things that bother me. Once it's warmed up it'll vibrate pretty bad at idle rather it's in park, drive or neutral. This is a very common issue for the 4.0 and some manage to have the dealer bump the idle up for them. Others just buy a tuner like a superchips, hypertech or bullydog and use that to adjust the idle to what they want.
2nd thing is something in the front suspension intermittently squeaks, which is also another common issue with varying causes from the sway bar to body mounts and hood stops.

I like just about everything else better than the tacoma though.. I took a TRD offroad tacoma on an overnight test drive and just didn't like much about it including the price.

So far, with a little over 3k miles, I've gotten a best of 21.1mpg during summer taking it easy on acceleration for the most part... with around 70/30 city/highway. The worst was 16.5mpg with 4WD use in 8" of snow and enough idling to melt everything off of it. Not too bad since the window sticker says 15 city, 19 highway.

It also definitely pulls harder than the tacoma at speed. 55 to 85 in the tacoma feels slower than 70 to 105 in the frontier. With a tuner to take off wide open throttle restriction below 38mph, it'd pull harder than the tacoma there also.. I think they're pretty much even from a stop stock though.

Edit: Mine's an automatic. If you get a manual you should get a tuner to take the WOT restriction off. On the clubfrontier forums those who have the manual tranny say taking that off was worth the price of the tuner alone... Apparently it's much more noticeable than on the auto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I have an 09 SE 4x4, same as the 10, and there are really only two things that bother me. Once it's warmed up it'll vibrate pretty bad at idle rather it's in park, drive or neutral.

Just out of curiosity, what octane do you run in yours? I feel some roughness at idle when at stoplights, etc - but it seems to be smoother running 91 octane. I don't know why that would be, maybe it's just the placebo effect at work?

Originally Posted By: TWG1572

Just out of curiosity, what octane do you run in yours? I feel some roughness at idle when at stoplights, etc - but it seems to be smoother running 91 octane. I don't know why that would be, maybe it's just the placebo effect at work?

Always 87 octane. I doubt in my case it would make a difference in the idle smoothness since I've read countless posts over on clubfrontier from users running all different octane levels having the same issue. Those who didn't just live with it and either had the dealer raise the idle or do so themselves with a tuner, said it smoothed right out with around a 50 to 75 rpm increase in idle rpm.
They're supposed to idle at 650rpm's stock. The idle doesn't seem to raise to accommodate an electrical load (do any vehicles raise the idle for higher electrical loads?)... I always notice it more at night with the lights on or on a hot day with the ac blasting.

I think Nissan should issue a TSB so those with the issue won't have a problem having it corrected at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
The idle doesn't seem to raise to accommodate an electrical load (do any vehicles raise the idle for higher electrical loads?)... I always notice it more at night with the lights on or on a hot day with the ac blasting.

I think Nissan should issue a TSB so those with the issue won't have a problem having it corrected at the dealer.

My Tacoma did. RPM jumped up by a hundred or so when AC compressor kicked on.

I emailed Nissan about the rough idle problem asking them to start a TSB on it. So far they've let me know they sent my message to another department and documented it.
If anyone else with the 05+ V6 rough idle is interested in trying to get a TSB started, so any dealer you take it to will know about it and be able to fix the problem (by simply raising the idle some!), email http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

Probably helps to enter your VIN so they know you have a Frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back