NAPA Gold 1040 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EMPIRE

napa 1040 is $6.77 at napa online, wix is $4.29 at rock auto. why do people buy napa filters?

You can pick up NAPA filters locally, often for a little lower price than shown on NAPA Online, and you don't pay a shipping charge.

I've bought a lot of stuff from RockAuto and have nothing against them, but if you are just buying a few parts then the shipping costs easily swamp your "savings".

I just bought a NAPA Gold fuel filter (with Gastonia NC and Affinia markings all over it)

When I opened the box I was chagrined to see "Made in China" stamped on the filter! Grrr.

I have often purchased NAPA/Wix filters on those occasions where I need good quality, right away. Now I'll have to reconsider that.... If I'm gonna use Chinese stuff, I could buy at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
http://www.fleetfilter.com/

well shiat, just when we thought NAPA was the same as WIX we find discrepencies in data.

this website has a comaparison chart(s). someone needs to tell Fleetfilter they need a spell checker, what the F is "Comprison"? anyways, look at the 1st comparison chart, NAPA Gold 1060 vs WIX 51060, specs are not the same. weird.

but when i look up these filters on napafilters and wixfilters dot com they show same specs.

Just about all the parts at NAPA are being made in China now. I don't like offbrands or housebrands especially when the company making it doesn't even want to admit to it. NAPA is hit or miss on parts and what few quality and obscure parts they have are pretty pricey, if not for the discount I get. About all they are good for is buying coolant. Anyway I just don't see what the appeal is of NAPA Golds with their low efficiency and off-branding.

Wix, in one form or another still makes/provides NAPA with all the NAPA labeled filters. That is unless we lost the NAPA business after 5:00PM today.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Just about all the parts at NAPA are being made in China now. I don't like offbrands or housebrands especially when the company making it doesn't even want to admit to it. NAPA is hit or miss on parts and what few quality and obscure parts they have are pretty pricey, if not for the discount I get. About all they are good for is buying coolant. Anyway I just don't see what the appeal is of NAPA Golds with their low efficiency and off-branding.

Not a single part I've gotten from NAPA was made in China. The wheel bearing was made in USA, the muffler hangar was made in Canada, the brake pads dad got for the Jeep were made in Canada. I sent an email to wix/affinia asking about the manufacture location of these and the filters for the expedition/mustang and they said they were made in North Carolina. The NAPA wiper blades I bought last summer were Made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
Wix, in one form or another still makes/provides NAPA with all the NAPA labeled filters. That is unless we lost the NAPA business after 5:00PM today.

so Affinia has non-WIX production rolling down WIX production lines? please explain what you mean by "in one form or another".

i made note of that Fleetfilter comparison and the two filters were different.... different types of springs, and different media. so if WIX and NAPA are the same then why do they have different insides??

From: http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html

Quote:
Obviously the Wix and the NapaGold filters are identical, except for the weight which could be attributed to the glue that hold the pleats to the end caps.

Wix/NapaGold uses a coil spring rather than a leaf spring; a coil spring keeps better pressure against the end cap. The ends of the coil should be bent inwards to prevent damage to the can.
Wix/NapaGold uses metal end caps rather than the fiberboard end caps.
The filter media inside the Wix/NapaGold was glued to itself, rather than crimped with a metal bracket.
The Wix/NapaGold filter has a phenolic resin which binds the media together while still keeping them separated for proper filtration. In addition, the resin helps protect the pleats from high temperatures.
The center tube of the Wix/NapaGold filter is spiraled for better flow; other brands use a straight tube with spot welds.
The Wix/NapaGold filter uses a silicon anti-drain back valve which is less likely to break down than the nitrile rubber valves. The anti-drain back valve is used to prevent oil from draining back to the crankcase after shutdown.
NOTES:

Wix makes the filters for Napa - therefore, a NapaGold and a Wix are identical.They are made on the same production line, only the Napa filters end up in a different packaging department.

Don’t confuse the NapaGold with the Napa ProSelect (Napa’s lower line of filters, see comparison here) – both are made by Wix, but the quality is not the same. Wix has production facilities in Poland as well; some of the European-make automotive filters come from their production plant there.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Not a single part I've gotten from NAPA was made in China. The wheel bearing was made in USA, the muffler hangar was made in Canada, the brake pads dad got for the Jeep were made in Canada. I sent an email to wix/affinia asking about the manufacture location of these and the filters for the expedition/mustang and they said they were made in North Carolina. The NAPA wiper blades I bought last summer were Made in the USA.

Just about all of NAPA's "new and improved" brake pads and discs are from China now. Like it or not, NAPA is converting to Chinese suppliers at a rapid rate.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

You must not buy a lot of parts from Napa because a lot of them are made in China. NAPA is sneaky about it too. They repackage things in a made in USA wrapper but the parts themselves are made in China.

From: http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html

Quote:
Obviously the Wix and the NapaGold filters are identical, except for the weight which could be attributed to the glue that hold the pleats to the end caps.

Wix/NapaGold uses a coil spring rather than a leaf spring; a coil spring keeps better pressure against the end cap. The ends of the coil should be bent inwards to prevent damage to the can.
Wix/NapaGold uses metal end caps rather than the fiberboard end caps.
The filter media inside the Wix/NapaGold was glued to itself, rather than crimped with a metal bracket.
The Wix/NapaGold filter has a phenolic resin which binds the media together while still keeping them separated for proper filtration. In addition, the resin helps protect the pleats from high temperatures.
The center tube of the Wix/NapaGold filter is spiraled for better flow; other brands use a straight tube with spot welds.
The Wix/NapaGold filter uses a silicon anti-drain back valve which is less likely to break down than the nitrile rubber valves. The anti-drain back valve is used to prevent oil from draining back to the crankcase after shutdown.
NOTES:

Wix makes the filters for Napa - therefore, a NapaGold and a Wix are identical.They are made on the same production line, only the Napa filters end up in a different packaging department.

Don’t confuse the NapaGold with the Napa ProSelect (Napa’s lower line of filters, see comparison here) – both are made by Wix, but the quality is not the same. Wix has production facilities in Poland as well; some of the European-make automotive filters come from their production plant there.

yeah, they are identical, "except" for the few items like different springs, different media (the report on their site quotes media with different # of pleats), different glue, some dimensional differences (according to their own report). how can they say "identical" when their report says otherwise?

Quote:
yeah, they are identical, "except" for the few items like different springs, different media (the report on their site quotes media with different # of pleats), different glue, some dimensional differences (according to their own report). how can they say "identical" when their report says otherwise?

I'll try to make this as clear as I can.
WIX and NAPA gold filters are IDENTICAL except for the graphics and packaging. Both are assembled, labeled and packaged on the same assembly lines. If Wix does not produce a particular filter it is outsourced to WIX specifications. It is re badged packaged and sold as a Wix NAPA or what ever private label uses the Wix construction as their premium product line. Wix owns manufacturing facilities in Mexico, Venezuela, China, Poland, Gastonia NC and Dillon SC and soon India. The products manufactured in these facililities are built using the exact same standards as the ones built in Gastonia or Dillon.

Now, supply me with the name of the Wix employee that told you that Wix does not produce private label filters and I'll get that problem straightened out. Show me a Wix, NAPA or any other Wix manufactured filter that does not use a coil spring. I don't care what some sales jerk on Fleet Filter says, I've been in The filter manufacturing business for 33 years this July 3rd and, as most that have delt with me know, have never pushed my employer over any other of our competitors. But your line is just to stinking for me to be silent. It's time for you to put up or shut up!!

Quote:

WIX and NAPA gold filters are IDENTICAL except for the graphics and packaging. Both are assembled, labeled and packaged on the same assembly lines. If Wix does not produce a particular filter it is outsourced to WIX specifications. It is re badged packaged and sold as a Wix NAPA or what ever private label uses the Wix construction as their premium product line. Wix owns manufacturing facilities in Mexico, Venezuela, China, Poland, Gastonia NC and Dillon SC and soon India. The products manufactured in these facililities are built using the exact same standards as the ones built in Gastonia or Dillon.

Now, supply me with the name of the Wix employee that told you that Wix does not produce private label filters and I'll get that problem straightened out. Show me a Wix, NAPA or any other Wix manufactured filter that does not use a coil spring. I don't care what some sales jerk on Fleet Filter says, I've been in The filter manufacturing business for 33 years this July 3rd and, as most that have delt with me know, have never pushed my employer over any other of our competitors. But your line is just to stinking for me to be silent. It's time for you to put up or shut up!!

Calm down it's at fleetfilter.com, here is the specific comp they did:

http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html

Quote:

Calm down it's at fleetfilter.com, here is the specific comp they did:

http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html

Weird, the text compares that wix is "leaf spring"
Napa gold lists "coil spring"
But in the pictures, both have coil springs.
I don't know if I would trust much of the info in that comparison if they can't figure out the difference between coil and leaf springs.

the text carries over into several of their reports
http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/comparisons.html

and yeah, the pics show coil spring on both.... i wonder how fleetfilter got the # of pleats different along with dimensional diff's between the media?

Now, supply me with the name of the Wix employee that told you that Wix does not produce private label filters and I'll get that problem straightened out.

just call the WIX hotline and ask if WIX makes private label filters. i did some time ago and i was told "no", and i sounded like a broken record because i asked about 5 times because i was trying to validate what Rock Auto was selling.

Number of pleats on the construction/assembly drawing for a Wix/Napa (5)1060 specifies 58 +/- 2 .750 deep pleats. Paper width is 4.125". Fleet filter can guess at stuff all they want, but facts are facts and now you have them.

If you look at the pictures of the ripped apart filters you will see that they just tore the bedia out of the endcaps leaving about 0.1875" and 0.250" of media stuck in the adhesive.

Last edited:
I've been in The filter manufacturing business for 33 years this July 3rd

At what establishment? what do you do exactly?

I work at the Wix Filters Allen Plant located at 2900 Northwest Blvd. Gastonia, NC 28054. I am a Manufacturing Engineer.

I work at the Wix Filters Allen Plant located at 2900 Northwest Blvd. Gastonia, NC 28054. I am a Manufacturing Engineer.

Cool so we could get some good inside info then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back