Quick reviews: Harbor Freight Compressor & Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured some here would find this helpful. Some people hate HF some people love it. Most everyone knows that HF is hit or miss but you can find many good buys there if you are in the know. I needed a cheap 140V air compressor setup and could not seal the seal after looking for 3 months on Craigslist so off to HF I went (with 20% off coupons of course). I have been playing with this stuff for about a month now.

First up is the 21 gallon 3HP 140V compressor: PASS

I went in and my local store had this at the closeout table as an open box return for $120. It was not even assembled and the stickers were not even removed. I added $40 for the 2 year extended service plan. This is a good sized compressor for my needs and now I can wait to install a new 240V line as my electrical box is full so it would take a bit more work and money.

image_3015.jpg

Second is the 1/2" Earthquake Impact wrench: PASS Think I ended up paying $70 for this one. I was able to take of lug nuts from my father's truck that were put on by a particular enthusiastic tech at a local tire shop. I was standing on the end of a 36" breaker bar to get a couple of these lose. My torque wrench maxes out at 300lbs and it clicked on these nuts and they did not budge. It's a heavy gun but seems to be built well. I hope it will last with the proper maintenance. On a side note this one was built in Taiwan and for whatever reason I like that better than china.

image_88.jpg

Next up is the HD Earthquake 3/8" air ratchet: PASS I saw this at my local store marked at $70 so with the 20% off it was $56. This again is a pretty strong air ratchet and was able to break off the lug nuts on my corolla that were torqued on at 100lbs by me. This also seems well built with 2 grease points. This one was also made in Taiwan.

image_1508.jpg

Overall I was impressed with the earthquake line of impacts. I don't know maybe the chinese have learned a thing or two from IR when they outsourced production and that knowledge has spread?

Last up is the USA made Goodyear 50ft 3/8th inch heavy duty hose. How could you go wrong at $25? PASS

image_66.jpg

Oh yeah I know people complain about HF air fittings and I am not an expert here but I bought the cheap 5 piece brass set and the blue aluminum set and besides some incompatibility between the 2 sets they seem to work fine. They don't leak and clip together easily. So even these pass.

Just my experiences YMMV...

Their Earthquake line does appear better built than their standard stuff.
I bought a set of the earthquake branded impact sockets when my 18mm pulled a Houdini and even sears didn't have one in stock.2 yrs later and they are still holding up fine with regular use.

Looks like you did well for short money.

Their tools are very hit and miss. Some things are great values - you can pretty much tell by looking what is built decent and what is [censored].

I avoid their handtools and cordless products, but other than that I find there stuff to be a decent value.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
You must mean PASS in the sense of pass/fail, not "PASS it by".

Pass as in the opposite of fail. I wrote this for another forum that has a thread called HF pass or fail thread.

I like my HF parts....3 gallon pancake compressor for $39, cheap wrenches, aluminum racing jack, screwdriver sets, etc. The cordless drill I got a few weeks ago works pretty well but it rotates slightly off-center which is annoying, but I don't use it that often...it's back on coupon for $14.99 this month though.

My only complaint is that both stores in my area are 23 and 25 miles away from my house.

Eight years ago I bought a Coleman Powermate Sanborn compressor from HF in St. Louis and it has been perfect. Also I believe their Pittsburg brand tools are fine as well. I have a few of them and found them to work great.

I have several air tools i bought from hf impact,ratchets,needle scaler,die grinders,body saw etc i bought most of them on sale. I really like the 1/2" 425ftlbs central pneumatic professional twin hammer impact wrench it's powerful and runs very smooth with little vibrtion. Even though they all are made in china the build quality seems good as i have had no problems with any of them just keep in mind it's very important to keep them well oiled with a good air tool oil and they should last. I also have a few electric power tools and hand tools also they all seem ok no problems as of yet.

I have many HF tools. The $20 impact wrench I got seemed pretty junky, but the one with 5 adjustments and was over $100 is super. Also keep in mind you can get more torque per dollar with a cheap 3/4" wrench than with a expensive 1/2" wrench. However your arms will grow stronger as your lift the 3/4" monster.

My compressor is a 60 gallon 2 stage with a 5 hp motor. I csn use it for a month or so and not plug it in, its got that much air in the tank. They shipped it by mistake, should have been a single stage. But that was from Northern. I have a 2 hose recoil winder bolted next to the compressor. One is plain air and the other oiled.

The red HF brand air hose seems a bit junky. Better to spend a few dollars more for GoodYear or similar brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back