Grease for Buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Makita 9227 buffer that I use for paint correction work on cars. This buffer gets used often for 10-12 hours straight and the gear head of the unit gets very hot after a while. Wondering if there was a better grease I could use to make it run a little smoother and cooler.

Thanks.

it's prolly the aluminum housing it's suppose to get hot and disipate heat imo but mobil shc 220? i think it is would be a good match synthetic idk maybe a #1 ngli rating would be better i think they can turn over 6K rpm right? #2 is only rated at 3K rpm

The grease's drag on its own will make it hot. In commercial/indutrial applications it's not uncommon for bearings to run at 140* for years.

Oil would make it run cooler but your buffer isn't designed for oil.

I used Schaeffers #274 in the 1 grade on a drill. It takes it a lot longer to get hot while in use, and I use it for polishing, honing cylinders, so it spins pretty fast and under decent loads for quite awhile.

For an electric impact I have, the factory grease is sorta whitish opaque, where it was burnt and turned black, and failing to do it job. I stuffed it with Redline CV-2 because I was in a pinch. It's a lot quieter now and seems to hit harder.

Mystik JT-6 hi-temp m.p. grease the best grease I have ever used by far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back