Have you seen Rotella T5 0w30/40 at the store yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a bit of internet research this afternoon and came across the Product Data Sheets for Rotella T5 0w30 and 0w40 through the Shell Canada website. I find it odd that both are not listed on the Rotella USA website though.

Are they new and upcoming and just not on the market yet? Are they only available in Canada at the moment? Has anyone ever seen either for sale in the States? If so, where?

The numbers look great compared to the T5 10w30 and 10w40. I'd be interested in running it if I could find it.

T5 0w30 PDS - http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-55.pdf

T5 0w40 PDS - http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-54.pdf

T5 10w30/10w40 - http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-56.pdf

Shell Canada Rotella Page - http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can-en/...ella/brochures/

I can shed some light on the 0w40 product. Shell's 0w40 API CG-4 oil has been available only in Canada for a long time.

I'd love to get my mitts on some 0w30 and 0w40. These used to be called Rotella T SB (synth blends) even though they're full synth.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I'd love to get my mitts on some 0w30 and 0w40. These used to be called Rotella T SB (synth blends) even though they're full synth.

Just curious Bob if you can elaborate a bit more as to the base oils for these 0WXX Rotellas as Shell labels them as Synthetic Blends.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Just curious Bob if you can elaborate a bit more as to the base oils for these 0WXX Rotellas as Shell labels them as Synthetic Blends.
21.gif

0w40 is listed as 100% synthetic even with the "SB" moniker. Looks like the 0w30 is a true SB though.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-15.pdf

I can shed some light on the 0w40 product. Shell's 0w40 API CG-4 oil has been available only in Canada for a long time.

I have some 0w40 in my garage right now, it has been out for a while up here, we get ours at UFA. Its so plentiful and easily found here we use it for everything....from winter fills, all the way to rinsing off our oil funnels after an oil change, oiling bicycle chains, and wagon wheels and door hinges. Its pretty good stuff.

08.gif

I wonder how these Rotellas would compare in the real world to the corresponding grades of Esso XD (although XD is now SM rated).

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I have some 0w40 in my garage right now, it has been out for a while up here, we get ours at UFA. Its so plentiful and easily found here
08.gif

No UFAs in Ontario. I wonder where one can easily obtain the these Rotella 0WXX around here?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

I have some 0w40 in my garage right now, it has been out for a while up here, we get ours at UFA. Its so plentiful and easily found here we use it for everything....from winter fills, all the way to rinsing off our oil funnels after an oil change, oiling bicycle chains, and wagon wheels and door hinges. Its pretty good stuff.

08.gif

Hmm, want to do some International Trade Relations?
08.gif

Does it come in liter bottles?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I wonder how these Rotellas would compare in the real world to the corresponding grades of Esso XD (although XD is now SM rated).

Rotella is well respected in the HDEO community. I don't know how CG-4 or CH-4 compares to CJ-4 in real world usage. (the latest XD 0w30 and 0w40 are both CJ-4)

08.gif

It doesn't look like it does. Maybe a local Shell distributor can get you some in the four litre bottles. From the local Mobil distributor, I get my Delvac 1 in four bottles of four litres each, and my 15w-40 in the five gallon pail.

Originally Posted By: Garak
08.gif

It doesn't look like it does. Maybe a local Shell distributor can get you some in the four litre bottles. From the local Mobil distributor, I get my Delvac 1 in four bottles of four litres each, and my 15w-40 in the five gallon pail.

I have issues pouring gallon containers into my Jetta w/o making a mess.

Hmmm, if only someone made products what would assist people in transferring fluids...

0506320Hand-E20Grip.jpg

One in the oil filter housing, one in the valve cover fill... pour a little into funnel A, then a bit into funnel B. Repeat until done.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Hmmm, if only someone made products what would assist people in transferring fluids...

0506320Hand-E20Grip.jpg

One in the oil filter housing, one in the valve cover fill... pour a little into funnel A, then a bit into funnel B. Repeat until done.

Oh I have a funnel for when I used to use gallon jugs for oil changes. Remembering to grab it...different story.

Well, funnel or not, one gallon or one quart, none of this matters to me. I'm a messy oil changer, and you'll get no sympathy from me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Rouge, have you thought about trying the PC Duron 0W30? Should be easier to get up here!

You got me thinking cp3. So I went to PCanada's website and took a look at the Duron 0W30 offering. I see it is SM rated
shocked2.gif
. And its stats are impressive; comparing it sided by side with the famous SM rated XD 0W30 I see that it is 'lighter' at both 40C and 100C.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

One advantage I see of the XD over Duron is in regards to their respective base stocks. XD has always been formulated with Group IV base oils where as PC synthetics (for sure their PCMO SM synthetic oils) are Group 3.

Anyways where does one easily obtain this HDEO PC oil? Last summer I was only able to get the PC PCMO 0W30 from a non retail supplier
frown.gif
. I recall seeing some Duron at WalMart. Do they carry the 0W30?

Last edited:
Never seen any PC products at my Walmarts? I didn't price the Duron but the PCMOs I got pricing from the PC deopt in town. Not spectacular pricing but about the same as Walmart prices but limited access, weekdays only. That's probably the only reason I havent' tried it yet.

Was the 0W30 you used listed as synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back