Minnesota touts E85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Your owners manual will state whether it is safe to use in vehicle. Using E85 can damage fuel system pieces if not designed for it.

This is the key word here, I have never actualy seen this happen.

I read that E20 is coming in a few years to MN. What will that do to the engines and cats?

Soon MN will be going to E-15 and soon after that they will go to E-20.

Originally Posted By: Andyge
Soon MN will be going to E-15 and soon after that they will go to E-20.

That would be awful...With E-10 gas mileage dropped about 1.5 miles per gallon and landscapers and boat owners had issues with it.

Other states are going to soon follow with this nightmare trend with E-15 to E-20.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I read that E20 is coming in a few years to MN. What will that do to the engines and cats?

I'm not a big ethanol fan either, but why would the cat be harmed?

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: mikered30

I'm not a big ethanol fan either, but why would the cat be harmed?

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1044...-say-automakers

Quote:
One problem lies in the engine-control system, which monitors the oxygen content of the exhaust and uses it to control the mixture of fuel and air. Because ethanol molecules have an extra atom of oxygen, the system may reduce the fuel content to compensate.

That would make the engine run hotter, which can damage the catalytic converter that controls emissions--making the car's exhaust dirtier overall. It could also trigger the car's "Check Engine" light, requiring a service visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back