List of cardboard construction oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cousin of mine had a problem recently with a no-name chinese? filter that clogged his oil system.Trashed the motor.
It was a junker anyhow so he didn't lose much.

Is there a list anywhere of cardboard construction filters?
I change myself and at the moment using Mobil 1 filters.
M-103 fits all three of my cars.I like to use premium filters of purolator and bosch.

How long was the filter on the engine miles and time? Why would "cardboard" be an issue? The Filter is "paper". Some designs dont use Any endcaps (Thailand-sourced Denso Toyota OEM comes to mind, IIRC). The BIGGEST problems I've personally experienced ( on sub 5K oci) are overly restrictive (high efficiency) elements in small form factors on the newer toyota and suzuki engines - even suzuki OEM filters had problems - though I recall the Austrian made units were OK. There is a Suzuki TSB out there somewhere ... BTW, I owned an Aerio SX with the 2.3L DOHC motor - fun car.

Last edited:
If your worried(and i don't blame you good for you
thumbsup2.gif
)just stay away from FRAM and Ecores.

stick with WIX,NAPA Gold,CQ RED,P1 and you'll be fine.

Add Honeywell Defense as well as the Honeywell made Honda and Subaru OEM filters to the list.

...but some Frams have metal endcaps; the [E]XtendedGuard line is as solidly built as they come.

Arco i have the factory Suzuki oil filter with 2k miles on it waiting to be cut open.I'll paste pics soon.I have a few japanese toyota oems to use too.

Knowing my cousin it probably had at least 10k on it with the cheapest oil.He took off the oil pan and found cardboard debris clogging the oil pickup and oil galleries.Starved for oil and took out the bearings.

Just looking to prevent any possible problems since 2 of my cars are out of warranty.

Posted the Suzuki filter opened up in another post in oil filters.

Yea, the Xtended Guard and some of those FRAM ToughGuard filters look real secure. But yea, the cheap "ExtraGuard" just seem too flimsy...

I'm sure if you e-mailed the various manufacturers a part # or model # they would be able to tell you if the product is constructed with cardboard end-caps.....

Even the TG filters have 26g capacity, 97% dirt trapping efficiency, Silicone ADBV, and supposidely made for 10k mile intervals.

Something I'm curious about, their specs page says the TG filters are "compatible" with synthetic and synthetic blend only....does that mean those filters wouldn't work with "conventional" oil? If so, why not?

BTW, what's an "e-core"? Heard the term posted a lot here, but no definition :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: ahoier

BTW, what's an "e-core"?

Something you want to stay clear from!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202

Since we are OFF TOPIC but have to get biased info rebutted....
frown.gif

Make sure when you read the complete thread that is quoted. Those filters were not just off a vehicle. They sat in water for months...
smirk2.gif

Don't just look at the photos like others...

Interesting that we don't show the ecore filters that are fine (most of them)

One example

A few photos of another thread;

supertech6000up1.jpg

supertechtop6000vq0.jpg

Another thread

Another one

I'd use one with no worries. (and do)

More people use Fram filters than any other brand. MANY members here have gone hundreds of thousands of miles using them with no problems. IF Frams were as bad as some members here have you believe then we would see all the dead motors.

Your "cousin" (its always 3rd party) story should be investigated fully. I'd love to hear the COMPLETE story. 10k OCI and ???

Even more important is the subject is CARDBOARD filters, Ecores use a fiber end cap.
33.gif

Bill

As far as my cousin's story:
1980's chevy pickup,5.7L.
rusted to [censored],especially the cab.
Just south of 200k miles on original motor/auto trans.
He bought it a few years ago with over 100k miles.
Maintenance isn't done unless something breaks or he remembers finally.Oil was whatever was on sale at the local
parts store usually 10w30.Filter was white and only marked with chinese lettering,no numbers to be seen.
Oil was black as night but not really sludgy.

He always buys vehicles with high miles and usually gets over 200k miles even with his [censored] maintenance.Lives in upstate NY so the salt usually kills it before the lack of maintenance does.

He doesn't have any OCI it's just whenever he gets to it.

So with everything you posted above, why are you assuming that a cheapo Chinese made filter is what sent it over the edge? Unless you 1) take the filter apart and find some of the cardboard guts missing, and 2) tear down the engine and find said missing cardboard guts in the oil passages, you can't blame the filter.

Bottom_Feeder:"Knowing my cousin it probably had at least 10k on it with the cheapest oil.He took off the oil pan and found cardboard debris clogging the oil pickup and oil galleries.Starved for oil and took out the bearings."

You know of any other way cardboard could get into a motor?

I haven't see any really badly constructed chinese filters. They look alot like a non-ecore champ & purolator had a baby. No cardboard endcaps on these things. You would need to cut open the filter and determin if something failed in it before blaming it.
Here is a chinese filter cut open.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1883237&page=1
And another one:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1721689&page=1
And another one:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1491445&page=1

Hitzy do you know where else cardboard can come from in a motor?

Unless someone intentionally added it,It isn't coming from anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Hitzy do you know where else cardboard can come from in a motor?

Unless someone intentionally added it,It isn't coming from anywhere else.

Without the evidence to look at, it's hard to say what the cause was, or what the material was in the pan. We really need to see the filter cut open.
By the sounds of the shape of the truck, and your cousin's maintenance schedules, I'd be more inclined to think it was something giving up the ghost in the engine that caused it to fail. The chunks of "stuff" could be gasket material, or who knows what else when you don't take care of a motor.

Truck and filter gone to junkyard awhile ago.
That being said i've never come across anything resembling cardboard in any motor i've been inside of.

I've seen plastic bits from timing gears,metal shavings/mud from bearings and other worn bits.Pieces of connecting rods and pistons and other parts but never cardboard bits.It wasn't metal or plastic so i'll stick to the cardboard theory.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Well miracles do happen once an a wile and you'll get a few that work but why take the chance of a failure.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Well miracles do happen once an a wile and you'll get a few that work but why take the chance of a failure.

I've cut open about 15+ of them, but only posted 2 on here and they all turned out fine. I can't speak for everyone else but, having 15+ filters do it's job is far from a miracle. I'm not bias about any brand of filter, if i see one that fail, i'll post it. Maybe you can post one that you had that failed, since you had 10 of them that are scrap.

Far from clueless Drew,,i have 10 cut open(e-core)in the shop next to my real filters and mine are scrap!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back