Castrol Magnatec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i gotta say this is a great site,found it about 3 weeks ago and have come here every day since.
Anybody have any opinions one way or the other on this oil?Did a search here and it does'nt seem to rate too highly with some.Does'nt seem to be sold in the USA but is sold in Europe and Asia/Pacific areas.On the Aussie Castrol site there is a lube reference guide and this oil is first pick for just about every car.Even turbo Porshes.So Castrol has lots of faith in it.
Thanks for any replies.

welcome.gif

I think what you'll find on this site is a bunch of guys who really, REALLY, wish Castrol would give the US synthetics like they produce for the rest of the world. If they did, we'd use them. I know if I could find the Formula SLX 0w30 I'd use it. It's got some of the best specs of any oil I've ever seen. And Castrol's conventional GTX is highly regarded on this forum.

As for Magnatec, from what I know it's Castrol's older synthetic formulation that is sold in Europe and other countries. I'm sure it's not the same crap they sell here as "Syntec" and is a perfectly good oil.

Does the European Castrol formula's use Mobil's PAO? Also, why do they formulate better oils for the European market? Is it do to the longer drains of European cars? I never realized Castrol was capable of making such good oils.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Does the European Castrol formula's use Mobil's PAO? Also, why do they formulate better oils for the European market? Is it do to the longer drains of European cars? I never realized Castrol was capable of making such good oils.
smile.gif

Castrol makes top notch synthetics for Europe because they have to. The stuff they sell here as Syntec simply could not compete against the synthetics other companies sell in Europe. Plus, as you pointed out, the better oils are needed to meet the ever increasing demands European car makers are placing on oils.

As for who supplies Castrol with their synthetic base stocks, I don't know.

quote:

As for who supplies Castrol with their synthetic base stocks, I don't know.

Does anyone know where Castrol gets there base stocks from?
smile.gif

If the European formulations are better, wouldn't Mobil's 0w-40 be there best oil?

quote:

If the European formulations are better, wouldn't Mobil's 0w-40 be there best oil?

I don't understand this question. It sounds like you're asking "If Castrol's European formulations are better, wouldn't Mobil's 0w40 be their best oil?" Castrol doesn't make Mobil oil, so how can the 0w40 be "their best oil"?

G-Man, Mobil's 0w-40 is ther EUROPEAN formula. That being said, does this make it the best in the Mobil line up?

quote:

G-Man, Mobil's 0w-40 is ther EUROPEAN formula. That being said, does this make it the best in the Mobil line up?

Yes, I know 0w40 is their European formula. Actually, according to Mobil, it's their one "global" formula, since it's the same oil no matter where you get it. That can't be said for other grades of Mobil 1, with the possible exception of the 10w30. As to whether it's their best, that depends on what the criteria for "best" is. Obviously, 0w40 is unique in that it meets the toughest API and ACEA specs, as well as the toughest OEM oil requirements. No other Mobil 1 grade does, and no other oil by any other company claims to.

quote:

As to whether it's their best, that depends on what the criteria for "best" is.

This is what I was getting at. I just figured if it met the tough European specs. it should be there best formulat. But "best" is a relavtive word so it all depends I guess.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
Use Syntec 0W-30 It's made in Germany and it ruuuuullllssss
worshippy.gif

Just check the bottle and make sure it really IS "Made in Germany" 'cause the "Made in USA" stuff doesn't, rule...it sux.
grin.gif

The store bought magnatec is the GTX Magnatec, I've used it a couple times before. I had it in a friend's car, and she completed 22,000km on it without coming back for an oil change. It looked OK when it came out (For what that's worth).

There's a semi synth Magnatec in 20 litre drums I saw at the local Castrol dealer.

Had dinner with a former Castrol Chemist, who was involved in some of their testing down here. He no longer works for them, so I see his praise as having some worth.

He was explaining that in their test engines, they use a flushing oil (bugger all additives), followed by the reference oil (Mobil 1 5W-50), followed by a flush, their oil, another flush, the reference oil etc.

He said that during the magnatec testing, the baselines, and the flushes all improved with the residual from the magnatec.

quote:

Also, why do they formulate better oils for the European market? Is it do to the longer drains of European cars? I never realized Castrol was capable of making such good oils.
smile.gif

Pretty much. In the US, with an average Joe, educated by an average Jiffy Lube to change their oil every 3K miles, you really don't need anything better than Castrol GTX. Hence, they don't feel inclined to sell oils that would go the "extra mile" here in the US.

Here in Malaysia, Castrol Magnatec is highly regarded in the semi-synthetic category. We only get the 10W-40 semi-synthetic version.

10W40 the only Magnatec here too. They don't say if it a syn blend or whatever just that idiotic advertising campaign saying "back in ten minutes for oil other than Magnatec" Yeah right my oil does nothing for ten minutes????????? Geez I'd better get some of that Magnatec then!

Yeah i think it is a blend.They say it has an ester in it unique to Castrol that clings to metal and lubes on cold start up. "from the moment you turn the key" as the advert says.Hard to say if it's for real or marketing hype.If it's true i would have thought all Castrol oils would have it.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back