IRL team using M1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Like I've said here before. Until someone I trust (not a oil marketing department) takes oil from Wal-Mart/Autozone/Checkers and dumps it in a Indy car and then run it for the normal race will I beleive that the bottle of Mobil one they put in is the same.

Why do I have this demand? I was at the Drag races and watched John Forces team dump in gallon jug after jug of Castrol GTX into his engine. And the oil looked like a milk shake going in.

But the bottle had GTX on it... There is no weight of GTX that is going to work in a nitro motor.

Oh, and Tony's Funny car had Syntec going in it.

Pure marketing IMO.
20.gif
It works...
smirk2.gif

Bill

Remember that an Indy car engine is a spec motor supplied by Honda and is not tuned to the 9th degree, or stressed past the normal limits of the parts. (Every one that blows up likely will be on Honda's dime, not the team that leased it) I don't see why off the shelf Mobil One wouldn't work. Top Fuel/Funny car engine would be a diffeent animal altogether. Those engines are a barely controlled bomb when everything goes right, and a literal bomb when it doesn't go right. As I have stated in the past, I have experience with Sprint Cup style engines in the ARCA RE/Max Series and those engine will run fine on off the shelf oil, but if you have a 20 million dollar budget, a championship on the line, and an oil sponsor that can give you the best secret formula snake oil they can blend, you would be crazy not to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Like I've said here before. Until someone I trust (not a oil marketing department) takes oil from Wal-Mart/Autozone/Checkers and dumps it in a Indy car and then run it for the normal race will I beleive that the bottle of Mobil one they put in is the same.

Why do I have this demand? I was at the Drag races and watched John Forces team dump in gallon jug after jug of Castrol GTX into his engine. And the oil looked like a milk shake going in.

But the bottle had GTX on it... There is no weight of GTX that is going to work in a nitro motor.

Oh, and Tony's Funny car had Syntec going in it.

Pure marketing IMO.
20.gif
It works...
smirk2.gif

Bill

Even then you couldn't be sure what additives may already be in the sump.

Originally Posted By: labman

Even then you couldn't be sure what additives may already be in the sump.

Good point!

I used to work for a BMW ALMS race team (Protoype Technology Group) and we used Castrol Syntec 20w50 right out of the bottle for it (dry sump system) 3.2l inline 6 producing around 450hp n/a. They ran 12 and 24hr races all the time.

I've posted this before but I watched them fill:
This engine:
Crate-Engine.jpg

With this oil:
Oil.jpg

and install it in this car:
Brumos-Porche.jpg

That packaging doesn't look any different that the usual store stuff. They did have a oil drum but I believe it was empty because the mechanic sent guy to "borrow" this from another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back