30 weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering I put 30 weight oil in my mower the other day I think it was Castrol HD30 Is strait 30 weight oil non friction modified oil?

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
theres only 2 engines i wouldnt put it in...Honda and the Kohler Command series

Why??

#1 recommedations...since your referring to mowing, i know the the temp is decent out, nearly all small engine manufactures reqiure sae30 in mowing conditions, except Honda (unsure why), and the Kohler Command series (due to its valve design), I have ran sae30 in a command engine and the only diff i noticed was valve chatter. these 2 specifiy 10w30 in mowing type temps.....be specific of your engine, and ill try to give a more precise answer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kcfx4
theres only 2 engines i wouldnt put it in...Honda and the Kohler Command series

My Honda manual calls for single or multi-grade all based on ambient temp

Honda engines do call for 30WT oil above either 50*F or 60*F degrees as I recall. I run 30WT (Rotella) in all of my equipment (Honda GCV160, Honda GXV160, Tecumseh OHV175).

Yup...I automatically fill Kohlers and Hondas with 10W-30. I've seen it stamped or labeled on enough of them to just trust that's what they require (for warranty anyway).

The oil chart shown in the Honda's service information for the GXV-series engines shows the following:

5W-30: below 32*F
10W-30: -5*F through 85*F
30W: 50*F and up

I'm positive the service manual for the GCV-series engines shows similar, but I'll check at home. 10W-30 should be safe to use for most operating conditions. But Honda appears to prefer 30W in the warm season.

My B&S manual recommends both stright 30 and xW30, but it cautions that use of a multi vis will increase consumption, and to check the oil more frequently.

I use HD30 and it does keep consumption down.

Hello My Honda GVC doesn't mention 5w-30.It recomends 10w30 for general use or single weight 30 okay over 50deg.Honda is pretty specific about oil.I came across a manual for a Honda LPG engine and for that fuel, they only wanted single weight hd30 used and said that multi weight oil was not to be used.The only exception in that manual was 5w30 synthetic could be used under 32 deg for easy starting but was not to be used over 32 degrees.That LGP must be hard on oil but hd30 was all they wanted used. That was probably an older manual.

As an HPE supplier, I am a regular visitor at the Swepsonville, NC facility that assembles the small engines and Walk Behind Lawnmowers. At the end of the assembly line for the mowers they throw in a bottle of Honda 10w-30 in the box with every mower. Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
As an HPE supplier, I am a regular visitor at the Swepsonville, NC facility that assembles the small engines and Walk Behind Lawnmowers. At the end of the assembly line for the mowers they throw in a bottle of Honda 10w-30 in the box with every mower. Nuff said.

Engine are new...what's the recommended drain intervals on the first OCI...to get the fine particles out. I don't have any problem with the 10w-30..being in ideal temp 65F-88F conditions I'll take the 30wt over the 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
My B&S manual recommends both stright 30 and xW30, but it cautions that use of a multi vis will increase consumption, and to check the oil more frequently.

Tell the whole B&S oil story. Their #1 recommendation for all temperatures from -20 degrees to +120 degrees is 5W30 synthetic oil.

In my mower equipped with the Honda GCV 160 I have always used M1 5W30 or 10W30. I have an hour meter on it, and it has right at 550 hours on it now. I purchased it in 2000, and have averaged 55 to 60 hours a year. It has never, in ten years, used ANY oil in my usual 1 year OCI. One year, I had some extra M1 0W30, so I used that. Still did not consume any oil in a one year OCI.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Tell the whole B&S oil story. Their #1 recommendation for all temperatures from -20 degrees to +120 degrees is 5W30 synthetic oil.

In my mower equipped with the Honda GCV 160 I have always used M1 5W30 or 10W30. I have an hour meter on it, and it has right at 550 hours on it now. I purchased it in 2000, and have averaged 55 to 60 hours a year. It has never, in ten years, used ANY oil in my usual 1 year OCI. One year, I had some extra M1 0W30, so I used that. Still did not consume any oil in a one year OCI.

Is your Honda a B$S engine? I've used a Honda pressure washer recommending a 10w-30...I'll still use a HDEO 30W..but if it suites you fine the Mobil HM 10W-30 would work well also as a HDEO 30W. Do you extend the OCI with synthetic oil or by manual recommended?

PS 550 hours is still new but it depends how well the engines will last. Given with thousands of hours the 30W held out much better LONG term in ideal temp conditions with no cold starts over the HDEO 10W-30 NO dice I'll take the HDEO SAE 30w given the choice.

Just my opinion.

That's the whole story. It's a mower not a snow thrower. My grass does not need mowing when temps are below freezing, much less 20 below.

Straight 30 gets the job done, is less prone to shearing and it is consumed at a lower rate than xW30.

That's the whole story. It's a mower not a snow thrower. My grass does not need mowing when temps are below freezing, much less 20 below.

Straight 30 gets the job done, is less prone to shearing and it is consumed at a lower rate than xW30.

Exactly! Good to see some people do understand sm engine oil and why its recommended the way it is

Last edited:
Regarding HD30 oils,I don't think I would trust some of the newer formulations.A B&S,Koler etc may be fine but I would want a companies best additive package if going with an SM oil.I think Pennzoil may be getting rid of their hd30 oil. There is plenty in the stores but I challenge you to come up with usefull info about it on their website. The Castrol HD30 had a HTHS rating of 2.9 much lower than the HD40.About the only single weight stuff I would trust is Non SM or an HDEO.I decided to go with a newer SM 10w30 rather than a older SJ or SL rated.I would like to think that advances in deposit control will pay off. I just have a bad feeling that some of the newer HD30 oils are just filling a slot and not be that good.Since getting good info is not easy, I am sticking to something under more scrutiny lke Pennzoil Ultra. I am not saying that the current HD30 offerings are bad. I am just saying info on them is hard to come by and I am not trusting them.

Call me skeptical, but my mower doesn't have a catalytic converter, so I'd use an older SJ or SL rated straight weight HDEO on my air cooled B&S engine long before considering a "diluted" zinc and phosphorous SM formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back