Best oil for QR25DE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend`s Altima 4 cyl is reaching 300k miles. It`s had nothing but Pennzoil dino all it`s life. Engine is whisper quiet and looking into the oil fill hole the upper internals look brand new. She also pounds the heck out of her car. When I changed her oil last week,she`d gone about 7k on the current oci. No oil consumption whatsoever.

She`s also one of those drivers who starts her car,immediately puts it in gear,and floors it. No warm ups ever. That`s either one heck of an oil or one helluva engine,or both!

My wife has a 2007 Quest with the same engine. I changed the factory fill at 3,000 with Valvoline dino 5W-30. At 8,000 I changed the oil and put in Pennzoil Platinum. I keep with the 5,000 OCI since it is recommended by the book. Using the PP is probably over kill with the 5K OCI, but I really don't mind. Living in Atlanta it gets hot and that van throws some heat from the engine bay!

The Nissan engines wear like iron, so I don't really think you can make a bad choice. I had a 1999 Maxima with the same basic engine and in 6 years I put 180,000 miles on it. It never burned a drop of oil, was quiet as a mouse and got 21mpg driving 80mph on the highway. I ran 10,000 OCIs with that car. Whatever oil you pick, stick with your OCIs and enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
My wife has a 2007 Quest with the same engine.

The Qwest has the VQ35DE in it. It would be a sluggish pig with the 2.5L.

Finklejag - I meant that we had a Nissan engine...not the 4 banger. I should have been clearer. I know a few people that run Nissans and they have had many trouble free miles. I work with a man that has a 13 year old Nissan p/u truck that has almost 250K on it. He keeps up with maint and OCIs. It does not burn oil and still runs like new...according to him. My neighbor has a Camry that has had sludge problems. Nissan makes a good engine. Actually most of the Japanese engines last a long time with decent care. I only have experience with Nissan.

Friend of mine has a 94 Z32 twin turbo with about 275k miles. He`s been using Pennzoil dino 20W50 since brand new (original owner of the car). Car has original turbos,impeccable compression on all cylinders,and no oil usage or leakage. Plus he pounds the heck out of that car. Those VG30DE/TT iron block engines seem indestructible.

I had to chime in on this one...

I have been the owner of 2 QR25DE motors. The first gen QR in my '03 Altima gave up the ghost when the catalytic converter failed at 80,000km. For those who don't know, the catalyst on the early Sentra's/Altima's have been known to overheat, breakdown the ceramic substrate which then gets sucked back into the motor scoring the cylinder walls. Oil consumption then goes through the roof. The QR does not have an EGR system, it uses variable valve timing to change the valve overlap and take advantage of exhaust gas reversion. Anyway, the motor was replaced and ECU updated and it held up for over 150,000km when I sold it. I ran both M1 5w30 and GC in this motor with 10,000km OCI's. I could scarcely tell the difference in fuel economy, but the motor did seem to run quiter with the GC. I never had oil consumption issues in the replacement motor.

My second QR25DE is in the Rogue, same as Pesca. The 2nd gen motor does have some changes including an increase in compression, revised balance shaft location, single path intake (no more double intake runner and butterfly valves), a new upper engine mount, and I'm sure a host of other small technical changes. The bore, stroke, rod length, cam shaft, bearing journals, etc seem to be unchanged... at least this is what a comparision of the FSM's (03 Alty and '08 Rogue) tell me. From the outset, this motor is far smoother and quieter than the 1st gen QR. It's still somewhat noisy when cold but it does quiet down once warmed up. This seems to be characteristic in these motors. I'm on the 1st oil change with GC and a WIX filter at 12,000km. No oil burning issues. I average 8.3l/100km or 28mpg in a mix of hwy(70%) and city (30%). No UOA so far, but I intend on getting one done on my 2nd oil change. I will continue with the GC for now unless the UOA tells me otherwise.

WARRANTY CONCERNS

If I don’t use an API Licensed Motor Oil, doesn’t that void my manufacturer’s warranty?

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny fixing your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will rule against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans.

If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880
or e-mail to [email protected] .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back