Help interpret Hunter Hawkeye alignment printout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheel alignment spec sheet interpretation sought... alignment gurus requested
19.gif

The specs in the actual column may be okay, I just want to make sure since I am not up on wheel alignment stuff.

I'm concerned about the fact that Front Left and Front Right Caster remain out of spec (asterisk next to the figure in 'actual' column) after the job was completed, as well as Rear: Total Toe also out of spec upon completion. This is assuming that the figures in the "Actual" column are final adjusted figures.

This is from a Hunter Hawkeye alignment rack operated by a local tire shop (regional chain store) on the wife's 2005 VW Beetle TDI. She took it in and waited, and brought me this printout along with the receipt.

IMG_1876sml.jpg

Caster is not a tire wearing angle. Are all angles adjustable on this car? If they are adjustable, then it looks like the person doing the alignment is lazy.

According to Mitchell, only the front toe is adjustable.

For front camber, Mitchell says "only by moving the subframe is it possible to change the camber slightly."

The rear camber cannot be adjusted either, and according to Mitchell, the axle beam should be inspected/replaced as-needed to correct the condition.

For the rear toe, the total toe is not adjustable. However, Mitchell says to it is possible to move the mounting bracket to adjust the individual toe evenly.

What did they actually do?
It looks like they adjusted the right camber in the wrong direction. they should have left it alone

The caster is incredibly close, an is not a problem.

That's correct, mk4 VWs only have adjustable toe on the front. Nothing else is 'adjustable' without shifting subframes or getting camber plates from your favorite ricer racing junk shop.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Yes, but tire wear on the front seemed excessive.

The tire wear in the front should have been fine-- with or without the alignment. The front alignment was OK.

The rear toe isn't very good though. You may want to consider replacing the bushings and/or looking at some other aftermarket parts.

Sometimes a bad tire will make you think there is an alignment problem. I have seen tires wear unevenly when the tire itself was the problem. Alignment was ok.

53,000 miles, 5 yr old car. Would like to hope the bushings aren't borked but maybe they might be.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Yes, but tire wear on the front seemed excessive.

The tire wear in the front should have been fine-- with or without the alignment. The front alignment was OK.

The rear toe isn't very good though. You may want to consider replacing the bushings and/or looking at some other aftermarket parts.

The rear toe is great. You want the tires pigeon toed a bit with FWD cars. They splay out to zero when driving - this is the goal.

What is odd is that the allowed toe is .50 deg on each side, but The total toe is only .50 deg.
This does not make sense. Simply math shows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back