White milky substance in oil - please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle = 1997 Geo Tracker, automatic, 4x4.

It's been sitting a fair amount. Oil was changed recently. I went to check the oil level (first time I have on this vehicle, haven't had it in my possesion before).

I noticed a little white milky substance on the dipstick.

I also noticed a little on the oil cap.

Condensation or head gasket?

Google has yielded everything from "it's not an issue" to "engine rebuild".

Thanks.

Last edited:
Drain the oil. If water comes out of the oil pan followed by oil then it is definately a head gasket. If no water comes out then it is a slow head gasket leak or condensation.

Check the dipstick when engine is hot after a long freeway drive. That will most likely tell you if it is coolant intrusion or not.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Drain the oil. If water comes out of the oil pan followed by oil then it is definately a head gasket. If no water comes out then it is a slow head gasket leak or condensation.

Would this be true even though the oil as changed very recently, would water have time to build up again? (Not by me, so I don't know what came out.)

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Check the dipstick when engine is hot after a long freeway drive. That will most likely tell you if it is coolant intrusion or not.

I'll do this. How long a drive do you suggest? Would no white substance = no coolant intrusion?

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Is it a white milky substance and regular looking motor oil,or are we talkin' chocolate milk?

It is more like white\cream and milky. It's not brown like chocolate milk.

The oil looks fairly normal. It was changed recently.

I don't know the history of the vehicle and what it looked like prior to today.

If you are not losing coolant, then it is probably condensation -short trip kind of stuff. Maybe a faulty PCV system.

A pressure test of the cooling system can show leaks from bad head gaskets or cracked heads, but not always - it can be too slow.

Likely condensation. however better safe then sorry, so Id pull the oil, if it is anything but a very slight, whispy disoloration.

Originally Posted By: RandomInThe707
Originally Posted By: saaber1

I'll do this. How long a drive do you suggest? Would no white substance = no coolant intrusion?

Right, some or all of the condensation should burn off on a long drive assuming pcv system is working correctly etc. (i.e. oil is less milky the longer you drive it). Whereas if there was coolant intrusion it would be more milky the longer you drive it. Maybe 30 min. on highway is long enough? You would want to check the oil as soon as you stop so that the oil and water are still mixed.

Off course safest is to just change the oil to be safe (as others mentioned above) and then do the highway drive and check dipstick.

Ok,

I did a freway drive (15 minutes, at 65 or so). Checked both the dipstick and filler cap. I don't see any milky stuff. I did the same drive back (another 15 minutes) and checked again. Nothing.

I guess what I wonder is this: if the oil was just changed recently (right before I got it) would that have got ride of condensation that was there? Or not?

Also, the coolant is filled above the full line with what looks like fresh coolant. Makes me wonder if they topped it off.

Hopefully all will be well. Any additional suggestions welcome

White smoke? If there is excessive amount of antifreeze in the system it may cause white smoke from exhaust. I would have said it is because it is colder in the morning but it is CA, not WI...

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
White smoke? If there is excessive amount of antifreeze in the system it may cause white smoke from exhaust. I would have said it is because it is colder in the morning but it is CA, not WI...

Just too much anti-freeze or a leak into the engine?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Condensation. My Saturn suffers from the white sludgy [censored] on the filler cap all the time when warm ups take forever, etc (winter)

Would this also be true in a warmer climate like California?

Just drive it ...under whatever normal conditions that you encounter. You've already eliminated the condition with a not too long of a drive.

If it never shows itself again, you can forget about it. If it shows itself again you can do a UOA and confirm or deny the presence of coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back