NAPA Gold 1040 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
5,000 miles on PP. Winter driving and cold starts. Put in early october 2009, changed mid april. Seems very high quality. Can was thick and sturdy, the base was very thick and strong. ADBV was fully functional, it was completely full of oil between the can and media. The pleats were still strong and mostly straight, very little deflection. The media is extremely solidly attatched to the endcaps, no way to remove them without damaging the filter. Made in USA. Very nice, have absolutely no qualms about using again.

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup another quality filter from WIX,great filter at a good price,i have bought them before on the NAPA filter sales for $3 ish a piece.

why only 5,000 on the PP? waisting good oil.

Originally Posted By: daman
Yup another quality filter from WIX,great filter at a good price,i have bought them before on the NAPA filter sales for $3 ish a piece.

why only 5,000 on the PP? waisting good oil.

When I get the UOA back on it and the Maxlife in it now I will decide what OCI I would like to settle down at. It will probably end up being like 7,000 or so.

That would be better,is this in your 2.2 Cav? if so great engines and easy on oil could easy do 10k on PP and your WIX filter.

The main thing I have agianst this filter besides its high price, which its construction might justify, is its low efficiency rating. Beta 20 @ 31 microns is just really low efficiency.

so NAPA Gold filters are made by WIX ?? hmmm, last time i spoke to WIX (a couple of weeks ago) they told me they do not make private label filters.....

Originally Posted By: EMPIRE
so NAPA Gold filters are made by WIX ?? hmmm, last time i spoke to WIX (a couple of weeks ago) they told me they do not make private label filters.....

I don't know who you spoke to, but they were flat out wrong. Wix has made NAPA Gold, Carquest Premium, Kralinator, and many others for a long time now.

here's the story. Rock Auto had some "End of Stock" filters for my car, also listed was the same filter # in "WIX". that seemed odd so i called Rock Auto. sales person tells me they are private label filters that was the end of stock, but she could not tell me what label they were. the end-of-stock filters were about 70% less $$ than the "WIX" filter.

since Rock Auto couldnt tell me anything about these discounted filters i then called the WIX hotline and asked about private label filters, told the rep the same above. she kept telling me WIX does not make private label filters.

so i went ahead anyways and bought the end-of-stock filters from Rock Auto, when i got them the filters were in "Big A by WIX" boxes and the filter themselves had "Big A by WIX" logo on them. i was suspecting that these filters may have been when Dana owned WIX, and now that Affinia Group Inc owns WIX i thought that WIX might have stopped doing private label filters. the filters i got were in boxes that looked old, like they have been moved around a lot, sitting on the shelf for years, etc.

i do see this on Affinia website back from 2008:
"WIX was also honored by the Alliance with four other awards: Bronze Outstanding Shipping Performance Award for 95% Fill Rate– WIX Filters; Bronze Outstanding Shipping Performance Award for 95% Fill Rate - Parts Master Filters made by WIX; Outstanding Private Label Vendor - Parts Master Filters made by WIX; and Outstanding Manpower Support - WIX Filters."

i'll call WIX again and ask.... but the WIX person i spoke to was very confident that WIX does not make private label filters....

Gary-the answer will be Affinia Group not Wix even though Wix is a division of Affinia. The hotline at Wix is "technically" correct. There is a different hotline for Napa Gold, Carquest even though they go into the same call center. Just a marketing game by Affinia.

Dave

I guess if they want to split hairs about it, then it's true that "Wix" doesn't make those other filters, but the truth of the matter is that NAPA Gold, Wix, Kralinator and Carquest Premium are all identical filters made by the same company (formerly Dana, now Affinia) to identical specs (just with different labels on the can)

i suspect that the private label does not exist with WIX, meaning we will no longer see "Company XYZ by WIX" on any labeling.

seems odd though that Affinia would manufacture the exact same filters and then on some place "WIX" labeling and on others put "XYZ" labeling.

so, all the filters are made on same manufacturing equipment??, the only diff being the end stage where they paint, label, and package them.... WIX to the left, NAPA to the right, etc.

can anyone list some pricing for same NAPA and WIX brand filters?

i do see filter search on napafilters and wix site show identical filter specs for same part #'s (eg, 1040 vs 51040)....

napa 1040 is $6.77 at napa online, wix is $4.29 at rock auto. why do people buy napa filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back