Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old news. Interesting news, but old.

Anybody who loves ethanol must hate those poor Mexican widows that complain about the high price of tortillas.

It's a toss up which is dumbest: Wind, solar, or ethanol.

Just more example of enviromentalists and Goverment attempts at a problem and haqving the exact opposite effect. I believe instead of completely putting it on the car makers to produce more effiecent cars, they should place more effort on producing more efficent fuel(without ethanol would be the first step). Another example of how the cost of bussiness gets passed down to the pump, because of their cost. When will they ever learn, persecution of the oil companies, is self persucution at the pump. Also, I totally agree with Kaboomba, on solar, wind and ethanol, all placebo energies to make people feel like they can change the world.

Ever since E10 became mandatory in Florida, I've read more articles about ethanol than I care to admit; everything from "ethanol is evil" to "ethanol is a gift from above".

At this time, I don't know what to believe. But I do agree with one ethanol advocacy group, the American Coalition for Ethanol, that drivers should have a choice in what to put in their tanks:

http://www.ethanol.org/magazine/index.php?id=115&parentid=110

Quote:
The American Coalition for Ethanol supports consumer choice, and the E15 waiver was presented to EPA in a way that allows the agency to ensure “ethanol-free” gasoline is available to consumers.

http://ethanol.typepad.com/my_weblog/200...mer-choice.html

Quote:
...ACE advocates for consumers to be able to use E10, E15, E20, E30, E85 or ‘ethanol-free’ gasoline, and we believe that when consumers are finally given these meaningful choices through blender pumps, they will select the fuel that works best in their vehicles.”

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
It's a toss up which is dumbest: Wind, solar, or ethanol.

It's not a toss up.

Ethanol is in the list of energy sources where the EROEI is always less than 1 so it will never be a viable energy source.

Wind has a >1 EROEI but is a poor fuel source because it's inconsistent.

I don't expect advanced races anywhere in the universe to consider either ethanol or wind as useful energy sources.

Solar is the fuel of the future when someone figures out how to get it.

I expect advanced races everywhere in the universe to be using solar as an energy source almost exclusively except where solar is not available.

Industry is built on waste which is why we prefer to push money into wasteful enterprises like ethanol. Breakthroughs on solar would be an industry disaster so must be delayed as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back