Clutch chatter/shudder when engine is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the engine is cold on my Hyundai Elantra and outside temps are below 60 degrees, I get this clutch chatter on 1st gear. When the engine warms up and/or outside temp is above 60 degrees, the clutch runs nice and strong.

It can't be the clutch because it only has 60,000 miles on it and I drive very smooth and slow.

Any ideas? Clutch fluid maybe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Did it ever do this before?

Never. This is the first time. Car has 200,000 miles and it's on its 2nd clutch.

I've been searching the internet and many Mazda and Subaru owners have this same problem. However, none of them tell you why it happens.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I have no clue, all I know that the clutch was changed and the flywheel re-surfaced.

Thats' what I meant, the flywheel,I'm loosin' it.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Was the pressure plate machined?
You can try a fluid change out ,maybe it's 'thickening'?

Yeah, I'm going to change out the clutch fluid tomorrow. I'll post on what happened.

I suppose the springs on the pressure plate could be relaxing a bit due to age,and the cooler weather adds to the effect,resulting in a chatter.Is it real bad?

FL_Rob, I would say not bad because it goes away when the engine warms up. However, it is something to be concerned about.

Hmm, pressure plate springs? It does chatter in cold weather and damp weather. So maybe that's it??

FL_Rob, I would say not bad because it goes away when the engine warms up. However, it is something to be concerned about.

Hmm, pressure plate springs? It does chatter in cold weather and damp weather. So maybe that's it??

Total unknown ,but I have heard that broken springs could cause this,these are ideas off the top of my head,somewhere on bitog there's a clutch/driveline expert who needs to chime in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Define clutch chatter? Are you sure its not something else? Our old sentra used to chatter but it was all the time.

Correction: It's more like a shudder, not a chatter during clutch friction on first gear in cold weather. It's weird. LIke FL_Rob said, it could be springs, bad clutch fluid....now I just found out that it could be bad CV Axle. ..........I HATE CARS.

15.gif

Yep, sometimes they stink eh! I'd rule out the clutch fluid, might be bad motor mounts letting the engine rock? CV joints will click while turing sharp, if the boots are good and no clicking I'd rule them out as a problem too.
Does the clutch engage smoother at higher rpms? Do a couple 3000rpm brisk launches, on those my chattery sentra clutch would engage smoothly.

15.gif

Yep, sometimes they stink eh! I'd rule out the clutch fluid, might be bad motor mounts letting the engine rock? CV joints will click while turing sharp, if the boots are good and no clicking I'd rule them out as a problem too.
Does the clutch engage smoother at higher rpms? Do a couple 3000rpm brisk launches, on those my chattery sentra clutch would engage smoothly.

It only shudders on 1st gear in temperatures under 60 degrees for approximately 2-5 minutes. After that, the clutch is strong and smooth. It really feels like it's the clutch. Tonight,I'll engage at a higher RPM and will report back.

I seriously cannot wait until electric cars come out. Less moving parts=good.

Motor mounts and transaxle mounts make a huge difference.
I'll bet yours are tired.
But since yours is temperature related, it probably is in the pressure plate, disc, or flywheel.
Which one? Who cares? The tranny has to come out.

If you can live with it, live with it.

I'll bet it's caused by an accumulated sticky residue on the clutch surfaces due to the driver being too easy on it.

Clutch fluid will not cause that. It is likely the fault of the clutch. The fact that it was replaced 60k ago does not matter. It's also possible there is an oil leak, such as the rear main seal, that is getting oil on the clutch.

Define clutch chatter? Are you sure its not something else? Our old sentra used to chatter but it was all the time.

Correction: It's more like a shudder, not a chatter during clutch friction on first gear in cold weather. It's weird. LIke FL_Rob said, it could be springs, bad clutch fluid....now I just found out that it could be bad CV Axle. ..........I HATE CARS.

This could be a tune issue. You say that it goes away when the engine warms. You may have next to NO power when cold, effectively "falling flat on its face".

Gary Allen has a good point. This could be engine driven.
Remember, we did not experience the symptoms.

I fell for the customer's diagnosis again! When will I learn?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back