Ford 7.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bout a '97 F350 4x4 with a 460 gas engine and 5spd transmission. The entire thing is mint and only has 16,600 original miles. Driving it across a few states to get it back home to Northern Ohio, then it'll be time for an oil change.

I'm not sure what grade Ford recommended for the big 460, but looking for your opinions. It's not going to be a daily driver or see a lot of heavy duty use, and extended drain intervals aren't a huge deal to me; I imagine every 3-5,000 miles. It will be intermittently driven year round to pull my boat, haul a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, trips to Home Depot, loads of wood, stuff like that. How would Rotella 5w-40 do in that beast? I hear Rotella in general a very good and underrated oil. Not looking to spend a fortune just to change the oil, but I want (the truck) to last a long time.

Thanks!

I don't think Rotella is underrated at all ,in that engine go with the HDEO thats on sale at the time-no need for synth or anything pricey.
By the way very nice find ,that thing will pull a house down and it's a manual trans ;two thumbs up!

Last edited:
That's what I figured; just thought I would ask. I had a 95 F150 4x4 with a 351 bored/stroked to a 393; always ran Castrol GTX 10w40 in that. Wouldn't mind running something that would run a little freer in the winter time as well, that's why the 5w40 appealed to me.

Here's a picture:
F3501.jpg

Wow....nice truck. I'd pick up some Rotella 10W30 wherever I could find it. If I couldn't find it, it would be the 15W40 in most months, and 5W40 in the cold ones.

I would suggest using either:
1) 10w-30 HDEO
2) 5w-30 PCMO or 10w-30 PCMO

Those "Lima" engines (370, 429, 460) lube the cam journals first, and then feed to crank journals. The ligher the grade, to promote quick flow, the better.

It's prefectly acceptable to use a 40 grade, but there's really no advantage to it in this case. It's not like the Lima's are known to shear oil, so starting with a high vis isn't necessary. My point is: it won't help, but it won't hurt.

I believe the spec'd fluid is 5w-30, IIRC. The reason I suggest a 10w-30 HDEO is that it's in grade, plus the extra add-pack might get you enough oil life to have one OCI per year, depending upon your service factor.

These engines will last a long time if you care for them with just good routine maintenance. 3-5k mile OCIs will be fine.

I'm not really a 'truck guy', but that is one of the NICEST trucks I have seen in a long time! Amazing find!

With something THAT nice, I'd be overkill all the way: Amsoil HDD 5W-30, changed once a year.

....but like others have said, a more 'sensible' option would be a 10W-30 HDEO, changed every 4-5k miles.

I'd say like already mentioned to run 10W30 Rotella T5 which is at Walmart now as 10W30 should be the spec on the 460. Otherwise 15w40 or synthetic 5w40 Rotella will do fine too. There's nothing cooler than a 1986-1997 ford F350 single cab 4x4 as they sit up and look really tough with the Dana 60 monobeam up front. Great find and the 5sp manual tops it off 1000% better yet.

Last edited:
Hey thanks, guys! 6 quarts of Rotella 10w30 and filter should be right around $22-$23, whereas the 5w40 synthetic should be $28-$30 going by Wally-World's prices. The Motorcraft book there spec's the M.Craft syn/blend 5w20 for that year...[censored], I didn't even think they were putting out the light stuff back then. I swear my old 5.8l said 5w30 or 10w30 on the cap; I just ran the 10w40 because it ran a little quieter that way. Sounds like you can't really go wrong with any of it, but I'm leaning towards the 5w40 only for the fact that it should flow a little easier and still have plenty of weight in the warmer weather. I can imagine it'll take me a good bit of time to even get to 5k miles, so the overall cost per year won't break the bank...

the 7.5 was back-speced to 5w-20 to my'96.
i had a 460 marine engine i used 30wt from the time it was new ('86) i don't think they are very picky as far as oil goes

Agree with roadrunner;

they "backspec'd" the 5w-20. As I recall, just about every engine from FoMoCo in the 1990's was 5w-30 spec'd, except for diesel app's.

If you can get a complete O/FCI done for $23 with 10w-30 HDEO, you're in great shape, and that F-350 will last you a VERY long time.

Haha that was [censored] near the exact truck I've been loosely looking for but never thought I'd find; old school look, overbuilt, big honkin motor, 4x4 with a manual stick, and 5spd. It was a bonus with the new tires & rims, not to mention the 16,600 miles. I flew out to Rapid City SD (Near Deadwood and Sturgis) on Saturday at noon to pick it up, looked it over, signed the papers, handed the money and started my journey. I wish I would've had more time to turn it into a real road trip, because I was already very close to Mt. Rushmore & Sturgis area. MapQuest said it was going to be like 1,222 miles and about 18.5ish hours. It took me around 22 hours or so and a bit closer to 1,300 miles, because I stopped at a few road side curiousities on the way home, as well as a Wal Mart parking lot power nap somewhere in Minnesota.

Coming out of South Dakota and thru most of Minnesota, I was averaging 11.5mpg give or take. With a 75mph speed limit, I set the cruise control right at that in overdrive and it turned about 2,200rpm. I did stop and get off, for fuel, etc, and then get back on a few times. Typically would start in 2nd because 1st is so low, by the time you let out the clutch, it's time to shift again. It's perfectly happy shifting at or just above 2,000rpm during casual driving and seems to have plenty of "grunt" to pull it, even with the 3:55's.

Illinois had a lot more speed up/slow down, so mileage didn't vary too much, but on the far side of Illinois, thru Indiana, and back thru Ohio. At this point, I was getting into it a bit more, using 1st gear to start, and making my 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts at 3,000-3,500. My 4-O.D. shift was usually around 2,000-2,500. During this stage, the cruise control was set at 70-75mph, and the terrain was a bit flatter too but still some speed up / slow down. I averaged 12 - 12.5mpg here. My gps showed the factory speedo being 2mph high. It has 265/75R 15 Cooper ST tires, E rated. Not factory size, but same overall O.D.

He changed the oil at 1,000 - 1,500 miles ago with Castrol 10w30, and I put about the same on it as well. Probably go with the 10/30 Rotella based on what you guys are saying.

Overall, it's better than in the picture other than a few small paint chips from not having mud flaps. It does not have the original twin-outlet exhaust. He said the previous owner had dual glasspacks, so he removed those and put on a 2into1 muffler with single 3" outlet. Sounds mild. I did notice at a rest stop that it has no Cat Convertor. Clean exhaust job, and would sound amazing with a mild Flowmaster. The engine is so clean, there is no bit of rust on the exhaust manifolds, and the engine looks brand new...literally. No ticks, no funny noises, nothing. Other than it riding like a lumber wagon and a little squeak from that now and then, it's a pretty clean beast. You can let go of the wheel at 75 and make a pot of coffee while it drives straight on down the road. It's no Camaro on take off, but it is pure TRUCK and should suit that purpose very well for me.

What I'd like to do beyond a good oil change is eventually put a cold air intake kit and a freer flowing muffler on it with same configuration- dual in, big single out. This should help it breathe a bit more efficiently. I know there are headers out there that will bolt right in, but I have some reservations about hacking into something that's this nice to begin with, so I am opposed to backing out any MAJOR bolts on the engine. Banks makes a great kit that supposedly posts some pretty great gains, but it's near $1800. Can't imagine spark plugs being toast after 17,xxx miles, but they are also 13 years old. Anyone use an MSD style ignition? Not a daily driver, but if I can make it function better and perform more efficently w/o digging into it much, game on.

Thanks for your input!

This is a picture just as I was leaving the airport with the Black Hills in the back ground:

mountainpic.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that was a nice road trip. Wish I would have known, I would have met you in WI for a cup of coffee. Personally, I would not do anything to that truck until something has to be replaced, then do some mild exhaust work. Personally I would use Megnaflow exhaust components when it's time.

What a find that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back