oil recommendation - Focus ST Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have
2010 Ford Focus XR5 (ST) Volvo powered 2.5L Turbo 5 cylinder.
Might be flashed tuned to approx. 200kw and 400+Nm in the future if that makes any difference.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Unsure at this moment since car is still being delivered, however Mobil recommends Mobil 1 0w-40. Castrol recommends edge 0w-40. The service department at Ford uses Castrol edge 5w-30. The service interval is 15,000kms (9000 miles), which i would like to keep but will drop if required. Oil capacity is 6.5 litres (approx 19 pints)

3. Where you live
Australia (just outside of Canberra)

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Moderate to hard on weekends, easy to moderate on work days

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Weekdays, short 10km (6 miles) to work then same return
Weekends, longer 30km (18 miles) to 150km (95 miles) one way trip then back again. 50% highway on the longer trips

6. Whether your car has any known problems
Some reports of tubos letting go on earlier models (not boosting), but not sure what the cause was

7. Operating temps
Summer - ambient temps range from 5 to 38 degrees C (40 to 100 degrees F)
Winter - ambient temps range from -5 to 10 degrees c (24 to 48 degrees F)

My personal prefrences are as follows in order:
1.Penrite Sin 0 (0w-50) http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/SIN Engine Oil 0 JAN 2010.pdf
2. Mobil 1 0w-40
3. Castrol Edge 0w-40

i will go to exotic brands such as Redline if required, but would rather not due to cost. Amsoil is very hard to find here. I would like to use the same grade of oil during both summer and winter if possible, since i can buy oil in bulk. This car will most likely be kept for at least 5+ years, and i keep all my cars in the best conditon i can.
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it!

Any of the 3 you mentioned would work well for that OCI. Use the one that costs the least and is easily available.

Other than the 3 you list, M1 TDT 5W40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W40 are other good oils for Turbo engines with 9-10k miles OCI's. I would choose the least expensive one.

Quite a machine, I've been reading everything I can find
about it and the Euro VW Sirocco....The US doesn't know
what they are missing!!! OIL....if you buy and drive
that kind of machine, you probably know exactly what
you have and will drive it accordingly. That being
said, I wouldn't use any oil other than Motul or
Redline with total peace-of-mind. Put it in, drive
the whizz out of it, screw the UOAs, and pay no attention
to the Castol and M1 advocates.

I want to here more about this car - let me get this straight, a Ford Focus powered by a 2.5 VOLVO Turbo I-5?

Is this some kind of weird custom you built?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I want to here more about this car - let me get this straight, a Ford Focus powered by a 2.5 VOLVO Turbo I-5?

The Ozzies get some of (most of??) the GREAT Euro model cars that our Big 2 will NEVER bring here!!
frown.gif
mad.gif

This is essentially a detuned, not as phenomenal handling Focus RS.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

They talked about it several time on Top Gear saying the worst thing on this car was its name... as ST stands for Sanitary Toilet in England :)))

I cant recommend an oil, but I do hate you for owning a great car that I can't get in the U.S. Our current Focus is based on the original platform, features wheezy engines, and looks like [censored].
Other than that,it's one fine car...
33.gif

Thankyou for the advice. I was actually thinking about the Redline 5w-30 the other day since ive had great success with their Shockproof gear oil in my truck, but i was hoping to use a 0w-? due to the cold weather we have coming up and the short trip to work and back i do 5 times a week. If money is not an issue (it will do around 15,000kms a year, so one OC a year is affordable with any oil mentioned here in this tread), is the redline 5w-30 the best bet anyway, or should i go for one of the 0W-? weight oils? (had a great run with M1 in my motorbike)

Also, is it okay to do the switch to full syn after 3,000kms?

The one advantage of using the Red Line 5W-30 over their 0W-30 (not sure about their 0W-20?), is that the 5W-30 does not use ANY viscosity index improvers (which tend to be shear unstable).

Whereas the 0W-30 does use some VI improvers, albeit supposedly less (according to RL techs) than most other brands' 0W-30s (especially those brands which are NOT group 5/ester based).

If it never gets much below 24*F during your winter, you will be absolutely FINE with RL 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back