Bosch (Brand) Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in pep Boys today, and i saw "Bosch" Batteries. Now, i followed the other Thread... Seems its either Johnson Control, Exide, or AC Delco? .. My Personal take on those, based on me being attentive and listening to people talk, and it could be 100% Untrue, was -GENERALLY- the Following:

1) EXIDE is/was [censored] (Made in Mexico, No Good.. AutoZone batteries)

2) AC Delco Batteries are/were pretty good.. and

3) "Johnson Control" is Parent Company for AutoCraft (Advance Auto) Batteries AND makes Interstate.. and Interstate perhaps is the BEST Battery.

(Actual facts they may not be,, But shaped my general Perception.)

Now.. I see a BOSCH Battery.

My FIRST IMPRESSION: Bosch = BAD. WHY?

1) Jaguar Electronics are either Lucas or Bosch.. and Bosch seems to be likes LESS than Lucas on those cars.

2) Even people that have BMWs and are SUPPOSED to use Bosch use NGKs....

3) General HORROR Stories about Bosch Platinum+4, as well as people that work on Cars for a living talking about how the Design is "Stupid." (There are Spark Plugs, Yes.)

Now i see the Batteries...

I see a Group 49 Battery from Bosch.. It was Manufactured January 2010, and Costs $94.99. 850 CCAs, 1000 CAs. Now, the SAME BATTERY from Interstate costs $114.99 .. i wonder how Good is the Bosch?

I also dont know how BIG a Battery my Jaguar takes. I have a Group 75 in there now, out of another car.. 650 CCAs, 810 CAs. Its a little Small but i believe it will work well.. and it is a Johnson Control/AutoCraft/Advance Auto Battery made 10/2009.. Held 13.09 Volts at Testing, im Slow Charging it now.. Jag Still has no Alternator. I wonder if the Proper Size for my 1985 Jaguar XJ6 4.2L (I Just TODAY got the Tie-Down TODAY, so it doesnt touch the Frame, its a litrtle Sideways on the Group 75) is:

1) A Group 78.. The Bosch is a 770 CCA rating, costs about as much as the Group 49;

2) Group 49, 850 CCAs amd 1000 CCAs - IF this one will FIT im tempted to get THIS one, and people say a Lot of Jaguar people have this; or

3) A Group 100.. Can keep Side-Post with either It or the Group 78.

My Group 78 ( I have as a Spare) held 1.18 Volts after being charged for 22 minutes.. are these good Results?

And how are "Bosch" Batteries? OR should i check out "DieHard International" of same Groups? I heard THEY went to Mexico, and quality took Downturn...... Plus im not sure i like Sears...

Thansk!

Frankly I think your opinions about Bosch electronics are largely incorrect.

Your very concept that Lucas > Bosch boggles my mind.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The Bosch batteries here are Exides. Forget about the Bosch name. They slap on whatever sticker they need as they come down the line.

I wonder if iam Correct or incorrect about Exide being "Bad." .. So they are Exide.. That would explain it costing $20 less than Interstate.

cchase: I had a BMW, tried Bosch.. The Electrode kept on getting sucked out of the +4.....
My mechanic points out that the 4 Prongs on ittake Electricity AWAY from teh Center....
In the Jaguar, Lucas seems to be OEN and Bosch is SOME components.. And yeah, the Jaguar owners on the Forum REALLY loathe the Bosch.

This is why i question the Batteries...

But are THESE Bosch?Exides OK?

Nothing wrong with Exide.

Wife's car is running a exide sourced Napa 65, and the battery has been flawless so far. Even in some questionable conditions.

Jag owners probably loathe Bosch because it's German and they can't handle the fact they produce much better products than Lucas could have ever hoped.

As far as the +4 plugs, the 4 electrodes do not "take away" electricity from the center, they are all at the same electrical potential. The plugs may be rubbish but if they are, that's not why.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Jag owners probably loathe Bosch because it's German and they can't handle the fact they produce much better products than Lucas could have ever hoped.

As far as the +4 plugs, the 4 electrodes do not "take away" electricity from the center, they are all at the same electrical potential. The plugs may be rubbish but if they are, that's not why.

My XJ6 had a German ZF transmission and a Bosch Alternator from the factory

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: cchase

My XJ6 had a German ZF transmission and a Bosch Alternator from the factory

Sounds like youhad one after 1988? We call them "XJ40s"... and Yeah, Bosch may have left a bad Taste in my mouth.. but however much Bosch stuff my 1986 BMW 325es had, i liked it then.

It just wasnt the Spark Plugs. :p I think my Trans was Getrag...

Any input on which Battery Group i should get? .. Group "100" or 49, or even 78? 3 year Free Replacement, IF i dont keep using the Battery i have Now.. Can i keep doing that? (Its a Group 75 and its not Winter yet) ...

Stick with "Side-Post" or go Top Post?

And would you use Johnson Control "Interstate" (They sold me a battery that was Questionablle, a Used one) .. or this "Exide Bosch" from Pep Boys? Im in Induiana it says Robert Bosch is in Illinois... Im liking that Pep Boys is $20 Less for a HUUGE Group 49... Manufactured 3/4 Months ago...

Last edited:
Yes, I had a 1992 XJ40. The was the platform designation and the model was an XJ6 I don't use xj40 because only Jag people are familiar with that name.

I would use whatever battery size fits. Johnson Controls or Exide are both good (not great) batteries and buy the one that is cheaper. Exide is a horrible company to deal with (on the wholesaler level)

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
I was in pep Boys today, and i saw "Bosch" Batteries. ...

Exide.

In Europe Bosch does make batteries, but here they license the name to Pep Boys.

I have one in one of my cars and it seems okay to me.

Most of the comments in the other thread are, IMHO, rubbish.

Batteries are reasonably simple devices and it is hard to make a bad one.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Everstart Maxx group 49, actually all groups, is $79 at Walmart. It has 3 years fre replacement and 8 years pro-rate.

If i DO go Group 49, i need to remove my Tray Holders. I had an Issue of the Battery sliding into the Frame andmaking Shrts.. I wonder if i will get this Group 1000 and be DOne with it. (I seem to recall my Jaguar is rated at 770 CCAs anyway.. a la Group 100. Of course, their Group 78 is the same, the Bosch..) I dont know if WalMart batteries are any good.. they sound liek Reject batteries, given its WalMart.

.. Would You choose Group 78 or Group 100, if they cost the same? And Why? 770 CCAs...

I have a Group 75 (Johnson Control, AutoCraft, Advance Auto) in there now, at 650 CCAs.. and seeing as how it is not Winter, i may leave it in there for the Summer, THEN revisit! I wonder if that is Advisable...

You may want to get a price from a local wholesaler. They will sell to walk ins, and they often like cash deals. Prices at places like Autozone, Advance, and even Walmart are high in my opinion, but I always buy batteries at a wholsaler and save about 20%

Just had lunch today with a big shooter in the automotive battery business.

Here a good battery for you:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/

Apparently the batteries built for Walmart, Autozone, Canadian Tire and these places are built to min specs with thin plates ect. Not all batteries made by the same company are the same.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The Bosch batteries here are Exides. Forget about the Bosch name. They slap on whatever sticker they need as they come down the line.

This is CORRECT.

The interesting thing is that their tv ad spot which clearly has a "Bosch" branded battery featured IS a geniune item....the ones in the stores that you can actually BUY are NOT that genuine item at all. The reason I know is that the case is quite a bit different in the genuine product compared to the branded product we get here in the USA....deceptive is the word that comes to mind..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back