Toro self propelled 20332 on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda only uses timing belts on their V6 engines....I could be wrong, but that's about what I've been told.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Honda only uses timing belts on their V6 engines....I could be wrong, but that's about what I've been told.

For the most part, that's true. I think Honda is beginning to use timing chains in a few of their new engines, but not many. Anyway, it's not a big deal; I know people sometimes feel strongly on both sides of the timing belt/chain issues, so I don't generally bring it up. There are certainly bad timing chain designs out there also (I had one, in a Nissan KA engine).

I have that same model Toro mower, bought in 2009. The only complaint I have is that it puffs blue smoke on start-up like an old oil burner mower does, which is very disappointing for a new mower (running Supertech syn 10W-30 currently). The "transmission" was fixed starting in 2009 from what I've learned, but I highly doubt the gears are now metal, probably just a hardened version of plastic.

I guess I should have elaborated some more on my 07 Toro.

Even though it had the transmission issue, it has been a great mower.

I abuse it, use old gas in it, and change the oil about once/year. I don't bother keeping a log of hours. It has seen 1 air filter change and 1 spark plug change. It starts on the first pull no matter what.

I don't need to winterize it here and I crank it up every month or 2 weeks during the winter months. I hose it off or blow it off after each use, which is weekly from end of Feb. to sometime around November, typically. I've kept it in a shed for the first few years and now it stays in my garage when not in use.

I've used just about any kind of oil in it and overfilled it for an entire season by accident.

The self propelled cable holder broke and I used a screw on clamp to hold it down. The bag got a tear in it and now collects dirt in the foldover flap. I use the mulcher mostly unless it's in the fall or when I first start mowing in spring, due to the live oaks around here.

I'd probably buy it again if I had to do it over. I believe the transmission problem would be my only hesitation. I'll assume that this replacement will last about the same timeframe, so in 2-3 years it'll probably break. The cost for me to get it repaired will be close to $150, so I'll more than likely just go get another mower.

BTW, my yard size has been 1/4-1/3 acre and I use this mower exclusively. Maybe my next one will be a rider, but I think for now, considering cost and benefit of exercise, now isn't the time for that.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nayov
I have that same model Toro mower, bought in 2009. The only complaint I have is that it puffs blue smoke on start-up like an old oil burner mower does, which is very disappointing for a new mower (running Supertech syn 10W-30 currently). The "transmission" was fixed starting in 2009 from what I've learned, but I highly doubt the gears are now metal, probably just a hardened version of plastic.

see if sae 30 dino oil cures the smoke

That nagging issue of plastic transmissions keeps popping up. Wonder why Toro just don't overhaul that thing and fix it and be done with it? Yes, Honda 4 bangers are timing chained.

Johnny,you dont look a day over 40.....
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Schmoe, just buy a Toro push mower and be done with it. I have not used a self propelled mower in 40 years and I'm 63.

Johnny I am 68 and still mow my yard with a walk behind mower + we have a much longer growing season here in the southeast than up in the "Land Of The Frozen Chosen".

Mow about 1/3 acre.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4

see if sae 30 dino oil cures the smoke

+1

My Honda GCV160 would puff some blue smoke when I'd run left over GC 0W-30 in it. It seems that many multigrade oils will cause some smoke on startup. It may also be slightly overfull, or perhaps the mower is stored with the spark plug pointing downhill (allowing oil to seep into the combustion chamber)?

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Aren't you being just a little bit harsh?!? "Good exercise"???

Well, Toro has a personal pace and I have my own personal pace. Exercise is in the eye of the exerciser.
grin2.gif

I hear you Johnny....I have a decent Yard Machine mulching/bagger mower for over ten years with a B&S Quantum engine. Never had problems or anything, but for some reason, I got the itch. And the way my finances are going with the wife out of work and now going through breast cancer, I figure I'd better get one while I can. Also in Oklahoma, we cut from April to October and their are times I'm just tired and don't want to push that heavy thing. But, when your right your right....I need to stop whinning and just get with it. Land of the Frozen Chosen is hillarious.

It largely depends on climate. In southern North Carolina, few people push mow anymore. Sure, you CAN. But there are much more pleasant ways to get exercise.

Here in Florida, I wouldn't want to push mow weekly for 10 months out of the year. I use the word weekly loosely. It might be every 4 days during some of the summer.

By the time I've killed myself edging, weeding, mowing, blowing, and cleaning up, I've blown 2 hours or more. I have push mowed my lawn when the transmission was broke on the Toro. My back didn't thank me much! Even with self-propelled, I still do a fair amount of pushing. I agree it is good exercise. Plus there is a secondary benefit - your lawn looks good.

Well, this thing turned out to be a big POS. Here it is exactly 4 years later. The transmission is blown, just as I predicted, right on cue.
thankyou2.gif
I only mow about 25 minute's worth when I mow, so it gets very light use. It also still puffs smoke when I first start it. I'll be ordering a new tranny, about $60.

Last edited:
With a commen issue like this would think you can get cheap replacement parts on amazon or eBay. There is place near me in tampa called Quality Mowers that sells oem parts cheap. Still rocking my 99 honda powered craftsman mower. Just changed spark plug for first time. I changed the air filter 1 time. I now just use compresed air to blow it out and cover the filter with cheapo cutable filter material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back