Green GC in the Astra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
astraopel.jpg

opelopc.jpg

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just didn't understand how having a sporty European suspension package on a car somehow transforms it in to being a sports car when it's clearly marketed by the manufacturer as a small family car. Of course that doesn't mean you can't drive it in a sporty manner, but it's hardly a sports car by definition.

In Audi Junie's defence, and I certainly realize you're not trying to pick a fight, merely trying to have an enjoyable debate, the definition of a sports car among car owners is rather cloudy.

We have people that consider V-6 Mustangs and Camaros sports cars. There certainly are all kinds of vehicles out there marketed as sports cars when their base model is a family hauler. A Mercedes E-Class with a diesel or an E350 might not be a sports car. How about an E63 AMG? They all have four doors and are family haulers. The latter has a better suspension and more power. It's a four door that will kick the snot out of a two door, V-6 Mustang in just about every conceivable performance category. Which is the sports car?

There are North Americans who will say that unless it's an SVT Mustang, a Vette, or a Viper, it's not a sports car. Some in Europe will say it's not a sports car unless it's a Porsche or Ferrari.

Who is right? I say if you enjoy the vehicle in spirited driving, then it's a sports car to you, and since you pay for the gas, oil, and insurance, then your opinion is the only one that really matters.

If one really wants to be picky, there aren't any factory cars, sports cars or otherwise, that would be able to compete in an F1 race. Therefore, none of them are sports cars, right? Then again, an F1 car wouldn't have a prayer in a rally race, so maybe they're not sports cars, either. A rally car wouldn't be competitive in the top class of 24 H at Le Mans, so they must just be family haulers, too.

21.gif

Euro suspension, 17"s and a big brake kit all stock make it a sport compact ++.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
There are North Americans who will say that unless it's an SVT Mustang, a Vette, or a Viper, it's not a sports car. Some in Europe will say it's not a sports car unless it's a Porsche or Ferrari.

Who is right? I say if you enjoy the vehicle in spirited driving, then it's a sports car to you, and since you pay for the gas, oil, and insurance, then your opinion is the only one that really matters....
21.gif

I guess this is veering O/T, but I'd say, really, who cares about the labels others deem appropriate. Good heavens... Maybe my standards are very different, but hey, I have fun driving my Camry hybrid. Yes, fun. And you know what, I really could not care less whether or not others find this car "sporty" or not (I'll guess most don't...).

Find one you like, drive it, enjoy it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I guess this is veering O/T, but I'd say, really, who cares about the labels others deem appropriate. Good heavens... Maybe my standards are very different, but hey, I have fun driving my Camry hybrid. Yes, fun. And you know what, I really could not care less whether or not others find this car "sporty" or not (I'll guess most don't...).

cheers3.gif

I agree totally. There are plenty of people with TDIs and hybrids that like to brag (compete, as it were) over fuel efficiency. Last time I checked, that could be considered a sport.

Your Camry will beat my old F-150 in fuel economy, range, 0-60, the quarter mile, top end, and everything else except perhaps torque and towing capacity. See, you do have a sports car! Reminds me of what Car and Driver said about sports utility vehicles a few years ago - they're neither sporty nor very useful.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just didn't understand how having a sporty European suspension package on a car somehow transforms it in to being a sports car when it's clearly marketed by the manufacturer as a small family car. Of course that doesn't mean you can't drive it in a sporty manner, but it's hardly a sports car by definition.

In Audi Junie's defence, and I certainly realize you're not trying to pick a fight, merely trying to have an enjoyable debate, the definition of a sports car among car owners is rather cloudy.

We have people that consider V-6 Mustangs and Camaros sports cars. There certainly are all kinds of vehicles out there marketed as sports cars when their base model is a family hauler. A Mercedes E-Class with a diesel or an E350 might not be a sports car. How about an E63 AMG? They all have four doors and are family haulers. The latter has a better suspension and more power. It's a four door that will kick the snot out of a two door, V-6 Mustang in just about every conceivable performance category. Which is the sports car?

Who is right? I say if you enjoy the vehicle in spirited driving, then it's a sports car to you, and since you pay for the gas, oil, and insurance, then your opinion is the only one that really matters.

If one really wants to be picky, there aren't any factory cars, sports cars or otherwise, that would be able to compete in an F1 race. Therefore, none of them are sports cars, right? Then again, an F1 car wouldn't have a prayer in a rally race, so maybe they're not sports cars, either. A rally car wouldn't be competitive in the top class of 24 H at Le Mans, so they must just be family haulers, too.

21.gif

Have you heard of Opel Manta? At one point in history that car was a great sports car in Europe.There is even a German-made movie with the name Manta Manta.People in the US will see that car as a compact grocery-getter, if not a sub-compact.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Who is right? I say if you enjoy the vehicle in spirited driving, then it's a sports car to you, and since you pay for the gas, oil, and insurance, then your opinion is the only one that really matters....
21.gif

cheers3.gif

Exactly.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I remember it. Drove a Gremlin at the time.

Now, there's a sporty car!
wink.gif

By the way, what would be your take on GC for a 1991 Audi 200 Turbo? GC is actually one of the quality oils I can find here without any problems whatsoever.

I think your climate calls for it. In summer you can use 15w-40 HD though.

Nice car. An automatic?

I think your climate calls for it. In summer you can use 15w-40 HD though.

Nice car. An automatic?

I've got a pail of Delvac 15w-40 HD around, along with some Delvac 1 5w-40 HD. I'm just thinking ahead and debating whether to try something new. I guess I'm bored. I've had no problems with either Delvac product.

Yes, it's an automatic, and not a quattro. It's decent enough on gas, and the comfort level is high. Nice and quiet!

Nah, the grill fit is tricky and actually costs money. This badge cost just 5 Pounds.

See my Honda reflected in the trim strip? lol.

Same thing ;o)

Cool badge, by the way.

The Delvac 1 seems to run a bit warmer than the Mobil 1 5w-30. That's actually a good thing. The 5w-30 would only exceed 60 C under hard driving, whereas the Delvac 1 will just top 60 C under normal highway driving. This is where it should be, according to the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back