Chevron Vs. Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, car is running a little rough, and the fuel gauge is off (only a little) I was told that the gauge issue is probably the senor in the tank-tends to be an issue, I guess).

I was told by the dealership NOT to use anything higher than 89 octane (was going to fill the Cobalt with a tank of 93), and to do a fuel system cleaner only.

So....I've heard great things about the Chevron w/techron, but I also know seafoam does a great job too. A few questions though:

Would seafoam be too strong for a car like the Cobalt? I was told that these cars don't handle high octane fuel changes well. (which could explain the issue at hand that came up after I used 89 in the tank.

I figure it needs a good cleaning, just not sure on which way I should go...

I would start using Chevron in the octane rating your engine needs. If you need a little extra cleaning, add a little more Techron additive to the Chevron gas that already has the Techron additive in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I was told by the dealership NOT to use anything higher than 89 octane (was going to fill the Cobalt with a tank of 93), and to do a fuel system cleaner only.

Not sure why your dealership told you so ?
However, both Chevron Techron and Seafoam is good, as well as Redline SI-1.
I would just use one of it.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Okay, car is running a little rough, and the fuel gauge is off (only a little) I was told that the gauge issue is probably the senor in the tank-tends to be an issue, I guess).

So....I've heard great things about the Chevron w/techron, but I also know seafoam does a great job too. A few questions though:

Would seafoam be too strong for a car like the Cobalt? I was told that these cars don't handle high octane fuel changes well. (which could explain the issue at hand that came up after I used 89 in the tank.

I figure it needs a good cleaning, just not sure on which way I should go...

Don't use 93???? B.S. My FIL uses 93 in his 09 Cobalt it runs fantastic. I like Chevron when added to fuel over Seafoam. Seafoam seems to work better straight in a vacuum line or directly in the crankcase. Whichever you use it will be safe.

It sounds like you might have got a bad tank of gas ,it happens to us all,use what you want to,dont go by what the next dealership myth of the week they're (dealership) talkin' about might be.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion Techrom Plus is a superior product when added to the gas vs Seafoam as a FI cleaner as you want to use it. I love Seafam don't get me wrong but I have had better results as an FIC with Techrom Plus.

Dealer: "What kind of gas do you use"
You: "I used nothing but best, Chevron 93 Octane"
Dealer: "That is your problem, you should not be using 93 Octane; car is not designed for it"
-----------------
Dealer: "What kind of gas do you use"
You: "Whichever is cheapest"
Dealer: "That is your problem, you should be using good gasoline; your problems are because of bad gasoline."
------------------

I hope you get my drift.

- Vikas

True...I think the dealership was [censored] a bit. Though the point about early cobalts having weak sensors might be right.....

I was planning to to add it to a tank of gasm so it sounds like chevron might be the way to go...

Make sure you buy the stronger Techron, it is called Fuel System Cleaner and NOT the ProgGard Fuel Injector Cleaner made by Techron.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Make sure you buy the stronger Techron, it is called Fuel System Cleaner and NOT the ProgGard Fuel Injector Cleaner made by Techron.

Actually, both products you are talking about are made by Chevron not Techron. Techron is a specific product made by Chevron and is also their fuel additive pack name in their gas.

He wants to use Techron Concentrate Plus by Chevron. The ProGuard stuff is also made by Chevron and is good but not as good as the Techron Plus.

Techron Concentrate Plus( use this ): http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

Chevron Pro Guard( ok product to use but TCP is better ): http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/additives/pro-gard.aspx

Ok, I gave the Chevron (w/techron) a try. I've noticed it seems to have fixed the gauge issue (so far), and the pick up is getting better as I drive it more. I'll keep you guys updated..

Are you saying that just a tankful of Chevron fixed the gauge issue for you? How do I wish we had Chevron stations in our area!

- Vikas

Agree....Purchase Chevron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, put a bottle in your tank, and fill-up. Go on a good long ride at high speeds (at least 60 miles or more). You should see a marked difference in power, possible increase in MPG etc. This is an excellent product and I've used it a number of times (prior to every other oil change).

Another great fuel cleaner product is RedLine SL-1. I use it for a maintainance dose (2 oz. at every fill-up / 12 to 13 gal. in my 14 gal. tank).
RedLine SL-1

Last edited:
its spose to be used in a 12 gallon tank. most cars suv's have a much bigger tank . so mybe he should use 2 bottles?

Originally Posted By: jerzey
its spose to be used in a 12 gallon tank. most cars suv's have a much bigger tank . so mybe he should use 2 bottles?

For larger gas tanks....there is a 20 oz. bottle.

BTW...the new small 12 oz. bottle states its enough for a 15 gal. fuel tank.
Chevron Complete Fuel Sys Cleaner & Redline SL-1

Last edited:
Are you saying that just a tankful of Chevron fixed the gauge issue for you? How do I wish we had Chevron stations in our area!

- Vikas

Nope, it's the chevron FI cleaner w/ a full tank of gas.

NO question that the Chevron Complete Fuel System Cleaner with 50% PEA is the best way to go...

The 50% PEA detergent in Techron Complete actually cleans off the carbon deposits while the Seafoam does nothing more than make your exhaust smoke so you THINK it is cleaning even though it isn't doing anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back